ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought sports was a good match for TV in that people generally wanna watch it in real time, unlike movies which are perfect for streaming.

2. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Think I'll wait until next week to activate my 30 day trial to ESPN+ to have a higher chance of seeing the EFL play-offs for free.

HomietheClown repped this.
  3. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sports being bulletproof for cable and broadcast TV is a notion that started waning a few years ago. ESPN struggling to keep customers is the clearest sign that fewer people are paying for cable just to ensure they have access to live sports via traditional TV.

4. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    #529 alexolympiacos, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Not a huge selection yet, but for 5 bucks a month, it’s worth it.

It has the full 30 for 30 archive as well.

I’m sure the football selection will improve as time goes on.

Yes, sports streaming is indeed becoming fragmented in this day and age, but on the flip side, if you are a fan of the less popular sports, there has never been a better time to be a fan.

For me ESPN+ is a bargain as I am a huge cricket and rugby fan.

And no, I don’t work for ESPN, nor am I paid by them to write good things about them. LOL

TJNash and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  5. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I like the mix of sports, but they need to add some more meaningful soccer for me to pay. The only thing I would pay for and am paying for is euro top 5 leagues and the world cup/euros, and maybe DC United, which I can't get here because of local blackouts. It sucks that they have moved some content I liked exclusively to here, but I wouldn't pay to get it.

6. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Almost exactly how I feel. Was nice to pop in for some Championship games here and there when nothing else is on, but nothing on this that I'd pay for. Guessing any good international properties they have will make it to their main networks unless they seriously rework what makes it to the cord.

7. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Sucks that ESPN+ is not available (yet) on Roku - instead I have to Chromecast it, which is far from optimal for watching replays while FFing in short increments to move play along.

8. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    So is ESPN+ available through WatchESPN or is it the regular ESPN app? I have never been able to find replays through the regular ESPN app.

9. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not yet -- or maybe ever?

The main ESPN app has been refreshed with a new video section. Replays are available in app.

WatchESPN site has been revamped with ESPN+ content and navigation added.

http://www.espn.com/watch/

KensingtonSC repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #535 NorthBank, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    So it's a little weird not having ESPN FC pop up on my DVR as it's been doing 6 days a week for quite a few years now. But maybe it's a blessing. I found myself skipping through a lot of the overly long discussions about often trivial, tangential, gossipy issues.

And I won't ever have to hear or see Gab Marcotti again. Well actually he may pop-up on my audio podcasts from time to time, but that's slightly better than seeing him. For whatever reason, I just couldn't stand that guy.

So now I'll be left with just BeIN's XTRA on my DVR, which on some levels is a better show anyway, certainly more comprehensive. I noticed the other night that Jeremy St.Louis proudly said "we're the only daily football show on North American TV"

But TBH, I'd be happy if the BeIN producers dropped the silly stuff like the "emojinal response", "who's to blame", and analyst games. The only exception I make is for Jimmy Conrad, who pulls off his "in the street" segment nicely IMO. (sorry I'm in the wrong thread for these BeIN comments)

HomietheClown repped this.
  11. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the free month is only good for the first 7 days, so don't wait too long.

12. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sorry to interrupt and go off topic but I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm doing a prediction contest for the upcoming World Cup. It basically consists of predicting the results of each match, from group play all the way to the final. Different points will be awarded based on whether you predicted the outcome (who won or was it a tie?) or the exact result (including penalties after extra-time). Depending on how much interest there is, I might do a second one starting from the Knockout Stages. Anyway, let me know if anyone is interested and please feel free to tell others (the more the better).

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    strange, i think his segments are some of the best on the show. it's episodes that have kasey keller on them that i find myself hitting ff a lot. i've never actually heard him say anything that contributed to any topic. just a lot of wind. worst pundit by far. thankfully, he was only on sparingly. i also skip a lot of shows when adrian healy hosts. he's the worst. give me more alexis nunes, please.

i was wondering why my recordings hadn't been showing up, and now i know. this is a very unfortunate decision, as i won't be paying for another service.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Different strokes for different folks.

After years of watching this I would say that the people I'd FFwd the most would be: Marcotti, Keller, McBride, Mariner & Hislop, and to a lesser extent Nichol & Burley. The ones I liked listening to the most (surprise surprise) were the rare Darke & Robson appearances. Though I have to say that I really like Herc Gomez, maybe partly because he hasn't been on that long?

Like I said the unnecessarily long-form topics I won't miss. Lots of hot air and repetition.

15. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if I’m missing something obvious, but can anyone find how to replay espnfc on the appleTV app? I can find it on my phone, but not on the appleTV.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone mentioned that there's no Espn+ app for Roku. So maybe the same goes for AppleTV? (confirmable via Google I suspect)

If true, that would be kind of lame that ESPN wouldn't make sure of having these apps available for launch, but that's just one of the many rough edges of the new world of digital streaming.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He should have specified in English.
    Spanish Language Networks have a bunch.
    :D

NorthBank and EvanJ repped this.
  18. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they did update the appletv app to include ESPN+. And you can somewhat easily find live content, but then when you search by categories on top “MLS” is like the 4th or 5th category, but that only had old games, no espnfc. And then you have to swipe right for a long time to get to the generic “soccer” category, which was annoying but again no espnfc. It wasn’t on the splash “featured” page or under “original ESPN content” or anywhere else that I could see.

On the phone app (I assume on the iPad as well, although I haven’t fired that up yet), you just go to “soccer” and click on the date. (I was looking just past midnight so I had to look for the day before.) But I didn’t see a way to do it on the appletv app. As we learned from the fox soccer app, where some people couldn’t figure out how to see old archived content, there’s sometimes things that aren’t immediately obvious, which is why I was asking.

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i read somewhere else that uninstalling and reinstalling the app makes it appear. i don't have that stuff, though, so take it for what you will.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've posted this in several TV channel threads, and perhaps other places? Why don't you start a new thread in some appropriate forum? Does BigSocccer have any forums up yet for WC'18? If so, that would be the place!

NaBUru38 repped this.
  21. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    There was a forum but I noticed there was not that much traction as of yet at least. I apologize but my goal was to get participation from people from all across the globe and fortunately, that actually happened. Unfortunately, it may be have been annoying to some and I apologize for that. There won't be any more posts related to this topic in this thread and others ones so you will no longer be bothered by this. Once again, my bad.

22. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I went for the whole year package. I had to download a new app for my iPhone. I'll check the Apple TV and the Roku TV tomorrow. I'm currently watching San Antonio FC v Orange County SC on my iMac. Fascinating stuff. Who knew there's a whole world of soccer below MLS in America?

23. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the app for MLS since I had the package for years. It’s cheaper on the PLUS AND I’m getting all USL games and some bonus boxing (huge fan). Year package for 16 cents a day? Hell yes!!

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    From what I can gather ESPN+ for Roku is in progress. Not sure when it will go live.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--