ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There are still some matches not available to NBC via replay because the secondary rights are owned by other companies. Like YES owning rights to Man City after they air live on NBC. It's not about "stepping up their game", it's simply a rights issue.

And the Gold replay feature is one reason I'll probably subscribe for the 2nd half of the season. NBC now puts up all the Premier League Productions materials (Preview, Review, News, etc).

http://www.nbcsports.com/live#full-event-replays

2. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fox Soccer Match Pass asks you if you want to watch from the beginning or join in progress when you select a game.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK thanks for clarifying that. But surely it would be better if NBC bought the appropriate rights (outright) so that they wouldn't be restricted on what they could put up for replay or how quickly.

But we digress. This is the ESPN thread after all. ;)

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooooh, how thoughtful of them!! We can only hope other providers like ESPN will copy that idea.

5. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #381 LaxBandit, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    ESPN2/ESPN Deportes will televise back-to-back soccer matches Wednesday, Sept. 20, beginning at 7:00 pm ET with a Major League Soccer matchup - Atlanta FC vs Los Angeles Galaxy at the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. It is followed immediately with the presentation of the 2017 Lamar Hunt United States Open Cup Final featuring Sporting Kansas City FC vs New York Red Bulls at 9:00 pm ET LIVE from Children’s Mercy Park in Kansas City. The two matches will also stream LIVE online via ESPN 3 and on your phone via the ESPN App.

Adrian Healey (Play-By-Play) - Alejandro Moreno (Analyst) will provide match commentary from Atlanta. Jon Champion (Play-By-Play) - Taylor Twellman (Analyst) - Julie Stewart-Binks (Sideline Reporter) will provide match commentary from Kansas City.

Match Schedule - ESPN Networks - Tuesday, September 19 - Sunday, September 24.
    http://espnmediazone.com/us/weekly-updates/espn-thisweek-september-19-2017/#j

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny the American matches that ESPN has roped the big boys like Champion and Darke into.

USOC is kinda important to the 2 teams/fans that make the final, but somehow I doubt that there'll be a big national TV rating on this game.

p.s. Let's Go Red Bulls!!

8. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Honestly, holding on to a teeny bit of streaming traffic on Manchester City replays is probably not a big priority at the negotiating table.

9. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess all of this is better than Beinconnect which offers no replays to my knowledge.

I know. I spend most of my time in this forum or the Italy forums but I need to go into Arsenal and New York Red Bulls as well lol

10. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'll say this for the WatchESPN/ESPN3 set-up (particularly this week with so many simultaneous League Cup matches to choose from): it's easy to flip between matches. Stream load time is quick to max resolution (only a little bit of pausing as it loads). No commercials getting in the way as you flip one on. And I'm doing a lot of flipping to find a competitive Cup match today :thumbsup:

11. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Issue on replaying those league cup games is they list the length so there is less drama late in one goal games if you know the stream ends in under 30 minutes.

LaxBandit repped this.
  13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    NBC Gold is a piecemeal bleeding of sportsfans. Want to stream Tour de France live while at work? PAY ME!
    Want to watch track & field? PAY ME!
    Fan of Palace? PAY ME!

Four of five different hits of over $30.00 to get (some) events that used to stream for free on NBCSN.

From the way I understand, the EPSN sub will be one fee for access. Makes a huge difference. Especially given the amount of product you'll ultimately have access to.

Thx,

Jay!

14. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    This is not true. You do not get "all the games" with any of the four major American sports streaming or television packages. NFL Sunday Ticket is no different from NBC Gold. You do not get the games on Sunday Ticket that are broadcast locally. You do not get the games on Gold that are broadcast on NBC Networks, and vice versa. Sunday Ticket does not show Thursday, Sunday, or Monday night games. If you were a fan of say the Patriots and you lived in Kentucky, you may only get 6 of the 16 Patriots games in your market. If you want to see the other 10, you need to buy Sunday Ticket. This is no different than NBC Gold. NBC shows games on their networks. If your team isn't shown every week, you can subscribe to Gold.

15. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    With the exception of the stuff shown on ESPN networks, like their chat shows and SportsCenter, ALL sporting events streamed live on WatchESPN are archived for streaming. Some things are even available months after they were first shown. I can watch archived EFL Championship games from 4 weeks ago. For me, that's the best part of it. Between life and family commitments, I can't watch almost anything live, so being able to stream stuff later is great. Plus, the quality is fantastic. I can stream to Chromecast. Compared to where it was a few years ago, ESPN streaming is the cream of the crop.

Would I pay for WatchESPN with its current content? Probably not, unless the price was right (like $5 a month). I mean, I like watching the German Cup, EFL games, and A-League, but I wouldn't pay for them. I would definitely pay for it if they added Serie A (because I care about that league), but those chances seem remote at best. As much as I like tennis, I don't think I'd subscribe just to watch the outer courts.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent point! I'm sure I would've discovered that myself at some point and been a bit annoyed. Probably in a two leged cup tie, where the drama of the possibility of extra time would be lost. Oh well, I guess you can just try not to notice the total time?

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After using WatchESPN a few times in the last few months, including last night for English League Cup, I have to say that the quality was awesome, both in resolution and in lack of a single stutter/buffering incident.

I only wish that ESPN (and the other providers) would build more playback controls like DVR's have, e.g. the ability to fast-forward/rewind at different speeds.

18. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    At this point, all I want is for Bein Connect to show replays period lol.

If I miss a Serie A game I wanna see and it's only on Connect, I'm out of luck. It's why I watched Napoli vs Lazio live yesterday and Arsenal on replay

In the grand scheme of things, ESPN3 isn't so bad lol

JayRockers! repped this.
  19. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I don't know what you're watching ESPN3 on, but on a Roku device you can fast-forward it at different speeds. In fact, if you just hit the > key on the remote once and then the play button, you can FF about 10 seconds at a time which I find valuable in order to watch a game in nearly 60 minutes of real time, jumping past all the time the ball is dead or out of play.

This is why I'm so eagerly awaiting Fox Soccer Match Pass's promised Roku app, right now all you can do is move the slider as gingerly as you can with your finger on a tablet but it still jumps 1-2 minutes ahead at minimum. They have a jump back 10 second button which is nice, but they need a jump forward one. The only provider I think that has one of those on their computer streaming is MLS Live.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching yesterday on ESPN's website (on laptop) where the controls are very simple/limited. They basically have play/pause, plus the slider bar you mention, but as you say the slider bar is not good for fine control, i.e. moving forward 15-30 seconds.

It's cool that you Roku allows the functionality I desire (I use it just like you for time-saving, but also for catching up to live without missing some key moments along the way). I wonder are those functions, e.g. FFWD at different speeds, are a function of Roku rather than ESPN? IOW, are the apps written by Roku or by each provider? (For several reasons I'm assuming it's Roku)

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a computer (I have no idea about an app), BeIN Connect lets you go to the beginning of a game that's in progress. However, I don't know if you can do that without seeing the score.

22. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    The apps are supplied to Roku by the providers; however I suppose due to Roku's specifications, all of the apps for which I've watched non-live programming have had this functionality where I can vary the FF speed. But as elsewhere, I cannot start from the beginning and hence FF/REW a live match on WatchESPN on the Roku.

However, on BeIN Connect's Roku app, I can go back about 10 minutes from where I jump in to the live match, and at any time I can rewind within that time frame (or perhaps longer once I've been watching a while) and then FF back to any point up to live.

HomietheClown repped this.
  23. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Isn't that what BeIn and GolTV do?

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to FoxSoccerGo today thinking it had this "watch from beginning" option. But NO, I guess they reserve that feature for their premium SoccerMatchPass product? Too bad.

But FoxSoccerGo did let me rewind about 10-15 mins I think. Which is better than other providers allow.

25. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s FoxSoccerGo? Do you mean FoxSportsGo?