ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ESPN will televise the United States Men’s National Team’s 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Match vs Costa Rica LIVE from Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey on Friday, September 1. Pre-Match coverage begins 6:30 pm ET with Kick-Off slated for 6:55 pm ET.

Ian Darke (Play-By-Play) - Taylor Twellman (Analyst) - Julie Stewart-Binks (Sideline Reporter - USA) - Sebastian Salazar (Sideline Reporter-Costa Rica) will provide match commentary. Bob Ley (Host) - Kasey Keller (Analyst) - Herculez Gomez (Analyst) will be on site for pre-match-half-time-post-match commentary as well on segments on SportsCenter and ESPN FC throughout the day.

3. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touche! And you're absolutely right. My DVR's automatic recording of ESPN FC is for some reason missing the Sun & Mon airings, which are showing in my guide. So I'll figure that out. And refrain from similarly lazy questions in the future. ;)

Art Deco repped this.
  5. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On mine (directv), I had to set up separate recordings of the weekday and Sunday night versions. The longer Sunday night version seems to be flagged as a separate show despite having the same name.

6. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Would you happen to know of an IPTV listing where they show D.C. United matches?

7. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    I have seen MLS matches and/or listings for the following int'l channels that most decent IPTV providers have:

SkySports/UK (now on SkySports-Football)
    EuroSport (Nordic region & France)
    AbuDhabi Sports (most consistent with showings. Only place I currently see DC United's next match)
    TSN/Canada
    beINSports/Thailand

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

8. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I've been watching a lot of delayed games on ESPN3 since the ticker on Deportes is too annoying. But one thing that drives me nuts about ESPN3 is that they can't seem to figure out how to include the stadium sounds during the first 3 minutes (Cyprus-Bosnia) - 10+ minutes (Greece-Estonia). This seems to be a consistent problem for them and radically reduces the atmosphere of the broadcast. It's especially annoying to have silence during the anthems since there is no stadium sound and the announcer(s) turn off the mic.

9. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. How did you'll know which one would broadcast a United game for that particular week?

10. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just came up in another thread, and I was not aware. But ESPN has taken over USA rights to English League Cup, Championship, etc. But they're only going to show these games on ESPN3, WatchESPN apparently.
    http://www.espnfc.com/english-leagu...glish-football-league-games-in-us-this-season

So for those of us who prefer watching and DVR's things on conventional TV channels, this is another step backwards, a la NBC Gold. :cry:

12. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess the bright side is Watch ESPN offers replays of games so........there's that at least lol

13. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And espn3 is still free for now so its not that terrible until anything changes officially.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That won't be for much longer. I think Disney has plans for a paywall starting early 2018?

JayRockers! repped this.
  15. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The hope is that NBC Gold fails miserably and maybe other companies start rethinking the whole paywall thing.

That's the hope anyways lol.

The biggest issue I have is I don't mind paying.......but whatever I'm paying for, give me all the games. Don't tell me I need a cable subscription for 60% of the premier games and I need another subscription for the other 40% which is essentially what NBC is doing with Gold. Most people are fans of a specific team. The current setup is at least three games will be on Gold. So that forces me if I wanna watch all of my teams games, I have to get both. You don't see that with anything else. I pay for MLB extra innings....I get the games. I pay for Sunday Ticket....I get the games.

I think this business plan NBC has right now is ridiculous.

I am so curious to know just how many people went out and bought NBC Gold.

16. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    I'd call that a BRILLIANT business plan... ;)

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

17. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ive been saying for years. Uefa network. 1 stop shop for a bunch of the leagues. Classic footage. On demand. It would work.

18. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    haha true.

Unless they generate so much negative press people just say forget this I'll just go online and find a stream for the game.

socceraction repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. At least not yet. For 3 games a year I'm not sure it's gonna make sense. But as someone put it months ago, there's all that other meta-content that's only available through Gold. Which might be the thing that gets me over there in the end, I dunno.

I think your hope that NBC gold paywall will fail is a little optimistic. OTOH they may not be getting too many subscribers at this point… Every time I ask for feedback about how's it working for those who are using it, I pretty much get dead air.

20. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's funny because on Facebook they continually post an ad about it and 99% of the comments are overwhelmingly negative lol

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would've thought that since ESPN has the rights to the English league cup, that ESPN FC would've shown some highlights tonight.

But nooooooo. You would be wrong.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanna confirm my understanding of how WatchESPN (and probably most other streaming apps) works.

If you join a game already in progress (still not complete), you do NOT have the option of watching from the BEGINNING, like you could if you were watching a DVR recording which was in progress. The only way for you to watch from the beginning, is to wait until the game is over and hopefully if the streaming service offers it as a "replay", then do that. But hours after the event ended!

If my understanding is correct, this is one of the fundamentally worse features of streaming platforms.

I can't tell you how many times I've used my DVR to record a game, which I joined late, start from the beginning and using some judicious fast-forwarding, I catch up to live.

Do any sports streaming apps allow for this? ESPN, NBC, BeIN, etc?

23. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's kind of lame. Maybe they're serious about this being a streaming only product? I'd wonder if they didn't buy highlight rights along with live, but goals are available here: http://www.espnfc.us/video/highlights/114/index (spoilers inside highlights page)

24. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't believe you can rewind to the beginning.

But it doesn't take them hours to put up the replay either.

Like today......I'm gonna watch the Arsenal game when I get home. Assuming the game is over in normal time, it ends around 4:30pm. That game will be available to me when I get home at 5:30pm. They are pretty quick on the replays.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good that ESPN is pretty quick to put up replays. And AFAYK do they put up replays of EVERYTHING that was first made available as a live stream?

In my limited experience last year with NBC, that was one of their Achilles heels: not every match that they streamed would be made available as a replay, and I also don't believe they were super quick in getting replays up. But that was last year pre-Gold... maybe they've NBC has upped their game now? Not sure I'd bet on it though.

Hey @TheAnswer1313, how come we never see you on the Arsenal threads in BigSoccer??