ESPN reports $46m USSF Copa Centinario Profit

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Bora Fan, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this should be in the USMNT section - but given USSF/SUM relationship - thought it made sense to put in the most trafficked news folder.

ESPN's Jeff Carlisle writes: "A recent report by the USSF that was made public at its most recent Annual General Meeting revealed that the organization made $46 million in profit from hosting the tournament."

http://www.espnfc.com/copa-america/...america-beyond-preliminary-victor-montagliani

This raises the intriguing question of what is the USSF planning to do with the $46m windfall?

If the USSF is serious about putting a dent in pay-to-play they could now offer USDA stipends of $3,500 for each non-MLS DA club U15, U16/17, and U18/19 player.

Alternatively - they could subsidize the salaries of the non-MLS DA coaches - and help reduce player costs that way. If the coaching fees for a kid are zero - that is most of the cost a parent pays for their kid to play - and clubs could work on reducing field rental fees, and fundraise for travel etc.

Unak78, edcrocker, Len and 6 others repped this.
  2. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised the USSF doesn't do something like this right now to be honest. That money would go a long way in youth soccer, you could vet the non-MLS teams to make sure they don't misuse the money but I think they should do definitely subsidize them.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What would they do next year?

4. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious why Nike doesn't have a hand in this or maybe the USSF could get commercial partners that would go on the youth team jerseys that are subsidized by the USSF? As long as its not something like a brewer or hard liquor why not?

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, is this thread going to be about the Copa America profits and the actual content of the linked article, or is it going to be a speculative, You-Be-The-Sunil thread about how USSF should prop up youth soccer clubs?

Just checking, because if it's the latter, I'll know to steer clear since it will be a waste of a thread.

6. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is enough money to support 4 years of funding.

Roughly 60 of 80 U15-U19 DA clubs are volunteer run - the rest are for profit MLS/USL etc.

60 non-profit clubs x 3 DA teams each x 20 player team rosters = 3,600 kids x $3,500 stipend = ~$12.5m annual subsidy.

7. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Bitter. Bus. Driver.

CeltTexan and DanGerman repped this.
  8. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a good question to ask is, what did SUM/MLS make from the Copa?

9. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Those FIFA officials aren't going to bribe themselves, yanno.

10. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Its going to be split evenly between the USMNT and the USWMNT.

AutoPenalti repped this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    So is this just USSF profit or the total profit for the tournament?

12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    The quote says USSF profit.

13. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope this means the event occurs again and again.

Unak78 repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems you're just counting boys. I doubt it's legal to leave out the girls.

AutoPenalti repped this.
  15. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nike is busy designing headgear for women.:oops:

UCFWayne and Bill Archer repped this.
  16. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. But it seems to me that the OP found an interesting article about the success of the Copa America, and rather than discussing what the article actually says (they are working on having it in the USA again in the future), used it as a springboard for a completely unrelated topic - that of how youth soccer is run in this country and what USSF should or shouldn't do about it.

If y'all want to talk about that, fine, but (1) it wouldn't belong in MLS N&A, and (2) it definitely doesn't belong in a thread ostensibly about the success of the Copa America, its potential related profits to MLS/SUM, and news of future tournaments in this country.

So y'all take your straw men, diversionary tactics, and bait-and-switch offers to the NASL thread where they belong.

Zamphyr, JasonMa, nowherenova and 3 others repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it can make even more money if a similar tournament is played again. People forget that this tournament was almost not even played and had to be organized at the last second due to all the scandals surrounding it.
    A better organized tournament in the future will get better buzz and more attention.

Also, attendance would have been even better if teams like El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras would have made it instead of teams like Haiti, Panama and Jamaica.
    Spanish Television ratings would have been a little better with those three teams too so advertising prices could increase a bit for the Networks that get the rights to the new hypothetical tournament.

Unak78, Eastern Bear and Burr repped this.
  18. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll translate this into "Hey folks, great to see this newsworthy post/discussion underway - but for the sake of maintaining the vitality and continuity of these targeted boards - once the focus tangents one step off the path - it's really a different discussion that might be better suited in a different forum."

19. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    FIRE KLINSMANN.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And good for them for doing it

Lancaster FC and Bubba1971 repped this.
  21. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston
    I'm more interested in total amount made rather than how much USSF got. But yea I agree they should definitely have better attendance, higher ratings and probably much better TV contracts. Basically they will have hard numbers next go around as a bargaining chip.

Unak78 repped this.
  22. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ninja:
    Nike the new Ninja

and yes women Ninja are sexy.

Unak78 repped this.
  23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our USSF can always help Puerto Rico out with their debt bill.

24. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Agreed...
    [​IMG]

Traumer repped this.
  25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I challenge you to name a single DA club that is "volunteer run"

These are big, well financed outfits that pay their coaches handsomely. Many of them are full time.

The issue is NOT that the non-MLS development Academy teams are poor shoestring operations running bake sales and car washes so that little boys can get some coaching from volunteer dad's.

Rather, the issue is that these clubs are usually VERY expensive to be a part of and the coaches often clear $50,000 a year PER TEAM and coach multiple teams.

The coaches themselves are professionals and many if not most of them are excellent, licensed experienced former professionals.

Volunteer run my ass.

Revolusean, TxEx, Eric B and 3 others repped this.