ESPN+/MLS Live

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by PSURoss, Jan 4, 2019.

1. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Does this get me all of the United away games? Their fine print says ...

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You don't get live games that are nationally televised on other networks.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    If you're in the DC market, United matches are blacked out.

Boloni86 repped this.
  4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The only way to watch DCU matches are via replay unless you can get a VPN to work. My VPN method stopped working a few games into the season. I'd love to know what else I need to do to get it to work. That said, there is supposed to be a new broadcast contract this season so maybe things will change. I hate NC8 and their low def pic on DirecTV.

Winoman repped this.
  5. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In summary (please correct me if I'm wrong):

In market:
    If it's on an ESPN channel and you have a cable provider, you can sign in with that inside the ESPN app and see games live. Replay available without sign-in.
    If the game is on Fox, no live, no replay in the ESPN app.
    If the game is a local broadcast, it's just replays in the ESPN app.

Out of market:
    If it's on an ESPN channel and you have a cable provider, you can sign in with that inside the ESPN app and see games live. Replay available without sign-in.
    If the game is on Fox, no live, no replay in the ESPN app.
    If the game is a local broadcast, you can see games live and on replay in the ESPN app.

Murrdcu and Kenobi repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I believe this is also the same if it it a Univision or Univmas game.

GumbyG repped this.
  7. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm not a fan.

JayRockers! and ejs1111 repped this.
  10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    With the proliferation of niche streaming services and regular cable, my entertainment addiction will soon cost more than my mortgage. When we moved to our new location in Alexandria, I signed up on a 2 year deal with Comcast that is a slow motion larceny. Once that expires, I think I'll keep the high speed internet and go with streaming services. My son uses Play Station Vue and says it works for him. You Tube TV also looks like a good general streaming service.

If Flosports is chosen, the lack of an Android app is a major problem. The majority of smartphones in the US and the rest of the world use Android, not IOS.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

12. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I wouldn’t advocate for illegal streams for situations like this that are readily available at reddit because it is irresponsible and illegal. Do not watch illegal streams on neostreamz. Don’t do it.

benni..., sitruc, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Do not bookmark that page for later.

benni..., Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Looks like it's 12 bucks per month. I'd pay that if they had anything else on their platform that I care about, but there's not much there. The only other soccer offering is Coppa Italia. They do have EuroLeague basketball which I may watch ...

Pretty stupid idea in my opinion. Local broadcasting should be about building a bond with your community. Hard to see how you can do that with a niche streaming service that almost nobody uses.

Sure, chord cutting is a thing, but NBC Sports Washington reaches 4.7 million people in the mid Atlantic region. I'd be surprised if FloSports has 4.7 million in the whole country. Getting on NBC Sports Washington means you're accessible to the average casual fan that isn't crazy enough to subscribe to an obscure streaming platform just to see 2 games per month.

song219, fatbastard, shawn12011 and 4 others repped this.
  15. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBCSN might not even have put a bid in for all we know.

16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    True. Regardless of how this came about, the end result is underwhelming.

I'm still of the opinion that the DCU fanbase is pretty skeptical due to the many years of stagnation. All it'll take is one poor season, and Audi Field will be half empty. Because of this strained relationship, I would think that visibility is critical to rebuild that bond in the community.

17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are hiring a content creator so hopefully we get coaches shows, hard knocks style shows and other stuff that we won’t get anywhere else.

Those type things will do a number for visibility.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    A day later and this is pissing me off even more.

19. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems very small time. Personally though, I'm already a Flo subscriber for the Marching Arts stuff I follow (yes...that) so I'm good if they go to it. Flo does pretty good with their sports coverage, they're still on a learning curve with the marching arts in getting good shots and such. The first year, they were sort of lousy with customer service response time when things went wrong, but it improved the second year. Social media is the place to pester them when things go wrong, they have people following their FB and Twitter accounts who shuffle info to their tech crews.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is just another case of the FO trying to cater to what they think is a younger fan-base. Well again I point out one obvious flaw. I as an old guy have disposable income, I make a very good living. Young Timmy who works at McDonald's makes much less money than I do. He has less disposable income. He should not be your target market. You expose Timmy, you bring him along slowly then earn your way to making him the old fan with disposable income, not the other way around.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  21. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    This is not a way to grow your base, which is what their goal should be. Even the most loyal fan has to go out of his way to find the games and afford them. Good luck with your casual fan running into DC United games on Flosports.

Winoman, Boloni86 and sitruc repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'd rather pay for Monumental Sports Network.

usadcu repped this.
  23. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    So I've been trying to think of a scenario where this actually make sense for the club as a business decision.

What if literally no one was watching the local broadcasts. Say maybe 5,000 people or something like that.

So basically you're buying time on a local station to show your product but no one is watching - so you're wasting money and not achieving your goal of promoting your product.

Your contract for buying time is up.

None of the local broadcast guys are willing to pay you money for the rights so you can keep paying them to broadcast but if no one watches you're still not achieving anything...

Or you take money from the streaming service who's willing to pay you and says they're not only going to show the games but will be invested and have other coverage as well that the people who actually watch the games will find interesting.

Not saying it's still the right business decision as you are really limiting your ability to grow, but maybe that's how it played out....

For me personally - and I"m no young 20 something - the economics here are actually pretty interesting.

I decided to cut the cord before last season.

I was with Verizon and had Internet and a sports-based package with three TVs that cost me $215 or so a month.

I went to Cox internet and "local channels" (which got me NewsChannel 8) on one TV for $120 and then I subscribed to YouTube for $40 per month (I had to buy a one time $50 Roku stick for each of my TVs). I have every channel we watched except BeIn Sports and HGTV and I went from paying $215 per month to $160.

Knowing that the NewsChannel 8 deal was up and I no longer need the local channels through cable, I've been shopping around and I'm about to go back to Verizon Internet for $80 per month ($80 Internet + $0 YouTube). So now I"m going to be paying $120 per month. At $12.50 per month for the DC United games it's still a better deal for me than what I paid last season...

Cavan9, Winoman, yabo and 1 other person repped this.
  24. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not everything is about your victimization at the hands of the youths. The only thing they're catering to here is the amount of $$$ in the deal from FloSports. It's a poor solution for everyone.

Kenobi, Cavan9, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    It may make sense if you want to sell the club in a year or two and get the cash now without caring what happens long-term. Other than that, I don't see any sense in this.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.