ESPN+ debuts on April 12

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is #$&((^* ridiculous.

I'm logged to my ESPN account on a friends Apple TV as me but it won't let me use ESPN+ unless I sign up with his Apple account.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check that, there was a problem with my credit card.

Quick tip, if you cancel your Sling account then restore it, they'll send you a free Roku.

3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's how I've gotten two of them! Didn't happen this last time though.

4. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I watched the SKC-VAN game tonight and I was happy. Some people in the game day thread and on Twitter were complaining but I had zero issues. I was streaming it on the ESPN app on my iPhone and it worked flawlessly and looked really good mirroring it to my Apple TV.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well its happening again. Open the ESPN app, wait 2-3 seconds, crash back to the Roku main menu. This time it fixed itself on the first delete/reboot/re-add process but I assume if will reoccur the next time I want to watch something. My guess is that something in the new app isn't clearing cache on a Premier+ correctly so it works fine when I force a cache clear by deleting the app and rebooting, but once I come back at some after the cache has been refilled it starts crashing again. I sent in a support request to the email listed on the Help & Support screen.

TrickHog repped this.
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is apparently the final weekend for free MLS Live. :(

-G

WheezingUSASupport and Fiosfan repped this.
  7. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS posted an updated overview on what can be watched where and how
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/03/02/how-watch-out-market-mls-matches-2018

Noteworthy as discussed recently

8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, the SKC-VAN condensed match is available already, goes 19:30.

9. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My experience with the ESPN iPad app yesterday was interesting. I'd already signed up through the website and was using it without difficulty. So I was a little pissed that the iPad app appeared to require that I sign up through the App Store. There wasn't anyplace to log in. Finally, I said "F*** it, I'll just watch through the browser." Went to the ESPN+ page on the iPad Safari browser, selected the game... and the iPad switched back to the app and started playing. I'm logged in on the app now and it works fine.

------RM

10. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I hope your email gets some response from the ESPN folks. My experience is that if you can actually get through to the Roku developers at any company you usually get pretty good results. The real problem is that many companies surround their developers with layers of bureaucracy making it difficult/impossible to get through the defenses.

On my Ultra everything on ESPN works great on m Roku 3 it mostly works great but I have seen a few "glitches" during playback. Neither one ever crashes or freezes or has any other major problem.

Based on many reports I have seen I "think" the Roku Premier line has a flaw something like the old Roku 2xs had.That flaw only effected some Roku 2XSes and only some apps exposed it.

I had such an XS and it only crashed when used for streaming video, usually using Plex, over an extended period of time.

I think that your best route may be to strongly consider getting a different Roku. If your wireless signal is good I have heard great things about the new Roku stick. It seems that it has nearly flawless reviews for apps like ESPN+. Nut do NOT try to save money by getting the cheaper older stick. If you do decide to get a new get the one with the top end specks like: https://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick-plus the other sticks are OK but not the best. I recommend the Ultra but it is priced quite a bit higher. For me, within reason, scrimping on money for my streaming devices is a mistake.

eddygee repped this.
  12. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Using it for the first time for SJ @ Orlando. SJ is not blacked out locally like with MLS Live, so that's good. However, I don't think ESPN+ provides a local blackout tool. The stream is a little less crisp than on MLS Live. No buffering.

The interface to get to the stream was goofy. ESPN+ asked me to sign up, even though I was already signed in. Eventually, I figured out I had to click through the "Sign Up Now" screen to get to the stream. It was still in pregame mode, so maybe that's why. I opened a USL match earlier directly without the Sign Up box.

I like the MLS Live interface better.

Without a mobile device, I'm SOL for condensed matches, except for the one MLS puts on Youtube on Monday or Tuesday. Why doesn't MLS make these universally available? Data mining on the mobile app?

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching on newly updated Roku app. Same basic problem. Hopefully, they fix it so that it's back to the functionality it used to have, sorted by sports and leagues in the replay areas.

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It actually does have that functionality. Just go to Browse in the upper right corner at the main screen and you can scroll through the types of sports and then leagues.

BalanceUT repped this.
  15. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that! I've only had the updated app for about 5 hours and haven't explored it much.

16. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm using the Roku 4th generation Roku stick 3600 model bought it for $29 two years ago thru walmart.com. All yo need is a decent wi-fi package I have a mid tier package thru xfinity and it will get the job done. I'd only recommend going for the premier if you have a 4k and want to watch in 4k in all it's glory.

http://blog.pixalate.com/programmatic-tv-connected-ott-united-states-roku-devices-market-share

Roku has been smart and priced their product at price points that offer bang for your buck at each price point and it is vastly superior to the other OTT devices I still believe its leading the market share in the US. It makes since the ESPN waited to launch ESPN+ on Roku last they wanted to see make sure they rolled out as perfect a product they could before going out to a much larger general public that Roku has the market share in. You screw up a release badly on Roku they set their product back big time.

I give It a B- on the roll out as a whole the live sports programming is great they knocked it out the park with MLS . As a Xfinity guy I didn't get my MLS games on the MLS app in true HD it wasn't SD but it looked almost a hybrid of 720P and 480p at times. ESPN+ in 60z 1080p is a win for me. I haven't been able to view non National MLS games this crisp since my DirectTV DirectKick days.

17. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy-Atlanta was blacked out.

In Houston.

18. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I've gotten 4 from them. Once the sent me one when I added the sports package. I am pretty sure it was a bug in their system. There was no advertisement that I would get one. Nothing like getting unexpected free roku in the mail.

19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was blacked out everywhere.

BalanceUT repped this.
  20. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #170 Sounders78, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    No it wasn't.

I watched it on ESPN+.

21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s good news. I still haven’t figured out what OTT solution lets me watch the Galaxy get beaten weekly.

James

22. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched it in Philly on +, and I was able to watch the FCD-Union game as well.

23. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta game was blacked out in Birmingham, which I kind of expected (although bizarrely it never was on MLS Live). The bigger issue is there is still no cast option in the Android app even with an update yesterday, so I'll probably cancel after my free trial until they work out the kinks and just stick with condensed matches via the MLS app.

morrissey repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on when will ESPN+ work on Xbox or PlayStation?

25. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was a shit show on my tablet. Perpetual sign in/sign up loop. Laptop worked fine.

Stupid