ESPN Classic's "Cheap Seats"

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second-season opener for this show premieres tonight on ESPN Classic, though it'll also be repeated later in the week. :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one else here watches this show? :(

-G

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i haven't even heard of it, not that it would matter ... I don't even get that channel

4. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I watch it all the time. Even the old ones are funny, though I hate when they cut down the hour long shows. The show is freakin hilarious.

It seems like the "new" season is just repeats and Best Of episodes.

I wish they would do an episode from the inaugural MLS season. :D

5. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    It's great stuff. Last Thanksgiving Day they ran a marathon of all (I guess) the episodes. The spelling bees are hilarious...

Looking forward to the new season.

The SportsCenter guys WISH they were that funny.

6. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I've seen it once or twice. Wasn't too impressed. Maybe I'll give it another spin.

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I find it to be extremely hit or miss so I don't go out of my way to catch it.

8. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    I think that's pretty much the way it plays out. People either like it alot or not at all.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sorry to see the show move from their its one-hour format to its current half-hour format, but it's still a funny show.

Although most of the episodes have been good, my favorite so far is the hour-long version of the 1997 National Spelling Bee episode. :D

-G

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's series premiere was the funniest episode of ESPN SportsCentury that I've ever seen. :D

Among other things, we finally get to see Ron Parker for the first time since the first-ever episode.

-G

11. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the shows funny, but I don't make a point to watch it. If I notice it's on, I'll start watching though. I too love the spelling bees.

12. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I don't think I've ever laughed louder than I did during the Spelling Bee episode. I absolutely love that show.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new episode airs this coming Monday. :)

-G

14. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Last night's show was pretty good, did anyone else catch it?

I think the show work's because the joke's roll off of one another and it builds up to a crescendo. There is no one joke that stands out, they work as a collective whole.

I've also wondered if the jokes are scripted, or if it's truly off of the top of their head.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw it. :D

You're right about the show's humor. The show has always seemed to me to be the sports version of MST3K... and ironcially enough, Monday's show actually included an MST3K bit. :eek:

I think that while they're scripted for the final shoot of each episode, that the joke-brainstorming session among the show's writers (including Randy and Jason) beforehand are off the top of their heads, and then they pick the best jokes to include into the script.

-G

16. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    I agree. The first time I saw it, I was reminded of MST3K. But not in a cheesy wanna be sense.

As a side note: I only caught part of it (long, boring story), but what little I saw with them was disappointing. The MST3K folks aren't even a shell of what they use to be.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's episode covered the 2000 Outdoor Games. :D

-G

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday covered the 2003 Scrabble Championship, as well as a 1979 frisbee exhibition from the Rose Bowl. :D

-G

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's episode was all about "Pimpin' Your Pet", and covered a 1981 frog-jumping contest, a 1992 cat beauty contest and a 1989 horse-racing buggies event. :D

-G

20. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As American as apple pie and six shooters, hot dogs and machetes, baseball and bazookas.

I like most of the episodes at least a little, but there are some I flat-out can't stand, like the 1979 Oilers/Red Wings game. Overall hit-and-miss. Generally inconsistent. But that's the way MST3K started, too...have you ever seen the first two seasons? Not much worth writing home about. Afterwards, of course, it became the stuff of legend. I'm not saying that's the direction Cheap Seats is heading in, but it's slowly getting more consistent and dependable.

Rising!

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, even the 1979 Oilers/Red Wings had its funny moments (i.e. Chewbacca). :D

But I 've also noticed that the series is becoming more consistently funny, though I still wish that it remained in its original one-hour format. At least it was allowed to remain and improve on the ESPN Classic channel - most new shows don't last a season (whether deserved or not) on the major broadcast networks. :eek:

-G

22. NoodlesMacintosh

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is comical since most shows need a season or so to get their legs under them and really be able to run. Look at Cheers--great show, I love every part of it, but the first season was still the formative period. And the ratings were not good. But, thankfully, the network stuck with it...

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another example is All in the Family, which didn't get very good ratings in its first several episodes. It was only during a rebroadcast of those early episodes the following summer when the series began to build a following.

-G

24. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I think that every episode has been about trying to match "Cal-Stanford '82." The hour-long version is some of the funniest television of all time. "So you went to Diablo Valley Junior College?" "Yeah." "What did you study there?" "Demonic posession. Animal sacrifice. Business."

25. NoodlesMacintosh

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently I had the misfortune of only discovering the show after they'd switched to the half-hour format.