News: ESPN $$ benefit from US advancing/General ESPN broadcasting critique

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Defenestration, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely though, some of the things they learned from the world cup will stick with all of ESPN's soccer coverage even if the big names and big production budget will be gone.

2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the NBA draft right now...
    The whole right side of the screen was a Saturday soccer (both games) ad.

Also the three best available players overall are from:
    Germany, Brazil, and England

Seems like an international bias to me...
    They've got the WC teams on their mind. :)

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Exactly what I'm thinking. In the past they learned what DOESN'T work. (Also valuable.) This time, they learned what DOES, which is even better.

And, I have to think, in the future the budgets for non-WC soccer will be a bit bigger. In 2014 they'll definitely break the piggy bank again because the numbers they've gotten have exceeded even their optimistic expectations this time around.

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN/ABC has been wonderful overall even though there will always be favorites and not so favorites amongst the talent. Another world from the past.

The FSC show is interesting but it is really a brutal handicap to do an analysis show without highlights. Very nice job yesterday setting up 6 mini interviews to comment on the US game.They need to dump the texting scroll.

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget... in Brazil games will be later in the day and after work (at least for the East coast anyway). If these games had been even in the 2:30 PM slot instead of 10 AM, I think we'd already have seen a lot more interest. Lucky for us, all the 7:30 AM east coast games are over, and the US didn't have one. I imagine those generally got the lowest ratings.

6. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Stuart Scott pointed out that the last pick of the lottery, Patrick Patterson of Kentucky, is actually a huge soccer fan. Scott said, "Now we all know about Landon Donovan. But what you don't know about Patterson is that he is a huge soccer fan, and his guy is Fernando Torres, and he's rooting for Spain."

7. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah ... F'IN classic. the whole individual moment was a metaphor for this entire broadcasting phenomenon: the local guys try hard but can't quite do it justice (Harkes), so we need a ringer to come in and do it right (Darke). When you think about it, there's really no shame in that.

8. CravenCrew

CravenCrew New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I hate people like this. It's one thing to be a casual fan every four years. It's another thing to root for another goddamn country.

9. mu831

mu831 New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I agree on the points expressed so far. two more points. One, I think ESPN should have used Tommy Smyth instead of Lalas. Two, I love Jeremy Schaap's daily updates on the US team

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything is great, except for Harkes. That man is close to unbearable.

11. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why? As long as he's also rooting for the US but just likes Spain as a team better because of the players (or one of them, and that's what it sounds like) it should be perfectly fine. Does everybody being born East of NY state automatically have to hate the Yankees?

I am perfectly fine with Turkish-Germans to root for Turkey first and Germany second. This whole patriotism thing outta be seen a little bit more relaxed.

12. brandonplaysguitar

brandonplaysguitar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more like some douchebag in the midwest (and I know many) rooting for the Yankees. F*ck those people.

Rooting for the best team angers me to no end.

13. CravenCrew

CravenCrew New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I misinterpreted that. The way it sounded was he was rooting for Spain first. It may sound ridiculous to you, but I know a lot of people like that. There are quite a few of them in the area where I live. Bunch of douchebags from NYC who root for England but don't really give a crap about the U.S. Blows my mind knowing these guys rooted for England against the U.S.

14. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know many people like this. They don't think about soccer outside of their precious premier league "big 4" team. Their concept of quality football is Arsenal, United, Chelsea, everything else is not worthy. They root for England because it's all they know.

15. brandonplaysguitar

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah you tell 'em Mr. Man U. :rolleyes:

16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hilarious since he's got Fulham and FC Dallas on his signature and you've also got Man City.

17. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you're the real fan supporting small timers Man City. :rolleyes:

I'm not the kind of guy that supports a team like Accrington Stanley just to sound original. The point is, it's not the only thing I watch, I support my MLS club, and other European clubs, particularly ones where American's feature. But my fandom of all those teams, are at best a pale reflection of how I feel about the National team. That's the difference between most of us, and those douches more concerned with a Chelsea repeat, over the performance of the USA at the World Cup.

18. brandonplaysguitar

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I support Man City because of two men.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL_CWPlfz1U"]YouTube- Who The ******** Are Man U - Oasis[/ame]

Also an undying passionate hatred for Man United. ;)

19. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone should hate the Yankees

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe, but he's Broadcasting Hall of Fame material compared to Marcelo Balboa from four years ago.

21. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Respectfully, I actually couldn't disagree more. (Well, I do agree about the breakout throw from Howard). But I LOVE the slo mo and the tight camera work from the games. One of my criticisms of MLS broadcasts is the camera tracking of the player running back after a goal attempt, instead of showing the replay. To me, nothing pulls me out of the game more than watching the slow job back up the field, instead of seeing a replay of the interesting thing that just happened.

What I love about it is that the replays are showing good examples of the little things that happen during plays (and not just goal attempts, but the stuff that happens at midfield as well). A buddy of mine who is not a soccer fan (although he may be one now after that last game), commented to me while watching the US game that he didn't realize all the little stuff that happens all over the field, and it is giving him a greater understanding of the sport.

Cutting away to Beckham sulking on the sideline, or the coach, or whatever, gives a great emotional spin to the broadcast. During the US England game, it was GREAT to see Beckham sulking after our goal. It also gave me something to yell at the tv, but I don't think Beckham heard me.

22. ziva istina

ziva istina New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else. ESPN has done a great job witht he World Cup. Harkes is average at best when compared to everyone else.

Now, what if ESPN adopted Univision's coverage with the girls???

23. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    lol.....wow. you think espn is filming it?

24. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I don't like ESPN play by play commentators. The British commentarors are very monotoned and bland. What they say is probably more knowledgable than the others, but its just so boring. So as a latin person, I rather watch on Univision, even if the Mexican commentators are annoying as hell.
    The rest is fine, and its just my taste, but I just don't like it

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That thing is worse than genocide.
    Oh goody, ANOTHER reason to hate Calipari's Kentucky team.

BINGO!!! I WIN!!!