ESPN+ as Exclusive Local Media Rights Partner

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Y tu mama tambien, Mar 9, 2018.

1. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone just set up a few viewing parties for fans on the northwest side of the city this past year, and while turnout was usually in the single digits, it was nice to be able to go to a traditionally Cubs/Sox/Bears/Bulls/Hawks bar and get a TV with the Fire on. Not only does this move make it harder to grow these types of groups, there were times when other bar patrons would pay attention to the game and cheer along, and those potential new fans are likely lost as well, at least until ESPN+ takes off as ‘a thing’ that most bars have, which, who knows when that will be but my guess is it won’t be this season.

Mikebsiu repped this.
  2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    @Andrew_Oleksiuk is still at it a bit for this year.
    We discussed his plans at the game on Saturday.

I will host a couple at my girlfriend's bar again this year, assuming we can with ESPN+ and do not need a "commercial" version. I am currently investigating that.

3. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll have an ESPN+ account (because I am a sheep and a sucker and a consumer) that’d I’d be happy to share, so if that ever presents an issue just let me know.

Obviously the larger point that this arrangement still sucks, but I’m excited that there’ll be at least one bar we can go to to watch the Fire.

4. Jake Roberts

Jake Roberts Member

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 7, 2018
    Yeah I was interested in finding a bar to go to for away games. Please keep us posted where we can go. Thanks!

5. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

Will you be bringing your emotional support snake to the games?

Mikebsiu and xtomx repped this.
  6. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
  7. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or home games even. Will miss the 31st due to a concert that is at 8pm in the city. You would think a concert in Chicago would be make able from a Chicago fire game that ends at 7. They don't even have the decency to run busses to Midway throughout the game like anyone would ever need to leave early for whatever reason. On the upside I could walk over the bridge to the 63rd stop all the while watching the game on my phone. Yay. Of course this would allow me to watch the game on my phone without picking up a bar tab.

harrylee773 and xtomx repped this.
  8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The "tv" deal (or lack thereof)?
    The ownership?
    The front office?
    The make up of the team?
    The announcer?

This is so much suckage to spread around.

loonixxx, skinut and bunge repped this.
  9. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is the correct answer yes?

bunge repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    upload_2018-3-14_21-19-4.jpeg

11. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You put your left foot in you put your left foot out you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around that's how you watch the fire

bunge repped this.
  12. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    ESPN + launches April 12th. Who here will pony up the $5 a month?

13. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. I can find a pirate stream if i want to and I don't feel the least bit bad about it.

14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will, but it's mainly because I usually buy MLS Live anyway.

15. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #140 loonixxx, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    I've paid for MLSLive for years but I can't get onboard with this deal because for one thing... There's no local or easy TV deal. Jump through hoops to watch local sports team, no thank you. Streaming TV/media is the future but not like this. I don't have the definitive answer but no way in hell I'll do it this way. Add $5 a month to all the other things I'm subscribed to... Nope.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    That’s my deal too. I already pay for cable, Netflix, Hulu, and now this? I said no to nbcsports gold already, and will prob say no to this.

Gamecock14 and loonixxx repped this.
  17. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the cable/satellite providers panicking about the streaming market. Why do you think we have caps on data transfer? Because Netflix and even YouTube caught them unaware. Hulu (which I pay for too) is trying to take down Netflix on the streaming front. Look at who owns them (the entire group) and how much content disappeared from Netflix only to surface on that service (with ads up the wazoo if you take the lowest price option). I've learned much to my disappointment that money above all else is the important thing... for basically everyone. I mean Disney for example owns how much now? They can't be satisfied with what they already have and what they have acquired? Essentially a monopoly (like our ISP's) and they're launching their own streaming service too, and oh wait ESPN+.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I live on the East Coast, so I have to get MLS Live to watch Fire games in the first place. Plus, I enjoy watching a random MLS Saturday evening game.

For the last few years, I usually watch parts of the Fire game because it just gets too frustrating. I will watch 20 minutes and do something/watch something else.

19. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe or just get a stream off reddit. $5 is a pint at the bar but I can't block those ads on pirate streams easily so it might be worth it for the convenience

20. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote Gamecock
    I'm not really doing it for the Fire, and the fact that I'm paying less than I was for MLS Live AND getting Fire games isn't really a win for me, as I'd much rather the Fire had something that allowed people to watch them OTA or via cable/satellite.

bunge and Gamecock14 repped this.
  21. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So everyone will have to pay to watch the Internet stream of Zlatan scoring 8 goals on the Fire?

chiladd and bunge repped this.
  22. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and I’ll take the over on # of Zlatan goals :(

GHjelm, bunge and Gamecock14 repped this.
  23. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait are you actually paying less or paying twice? With MLS live you get all the games right? Now you get all of them minus the fire and have to pay separately for the fire? Does that sound right?

24. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less than MLS Live, which is no longer available. So, ESPN+ is $4.99 a month which is ~$50 for a 10 month (MLS Season long) subscription, whereas MLS Live was (IIRC) $79.99. MLS Live had all of the out of market games minus national broadcasts (blacked out- which I assume will be the same on ESPN+ unless Fox Sports is cool with them streaming their games) and Fire games (at least until the next day when you could watch a replay and/or a condensed version of the game.

The condensed games were honestly the biggest value of the MLS Live package- I could get through all of the important parts of a weekend's worth of games in around 3-4 hours on the app. Hoping ESPN+ has something similar.

loonixxx repped this.
  25. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edit nvm. So ESPN+ is killing MLS live? And all mls will be there not just the fire?