ESPN+ and the Galaxy

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by 73Bruin, Feb 8, 2019.

1. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    While this was the model, I am not sure how long it will last. As an example, YouTube TV carries the local games of LAFC live. Presumably, they offered more than the regional sports networks.

This is potentially good news for the fans who don't buy season tickets but is bad news for franchises like the Galaxy that have sold their local rights for a good fee.

2. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only MLS "app" I have is on my Apple TV. I'll have to search around a bit.

3. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't remember if we discussed this here or not. Rep to @kirsoccer for posting in the MLS forums.

MLS preparing comprehensive TV rights deal for 2022
    Hopefully this means better access to local games. We're somewhat privileged as Galaxy fans, but even then, demonstrably, it's a crapshoot.

TrickHog repped this.
  4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #54 TrickHog, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Yeah, unfortunately the MLS app on Apple TV has been de-activated. You need to put the app on your phone or tablet, etc.

And, they don't have the condensed games on their website - you can only access them from the app.

They really are shooting themselves in the foot with this. Again.

5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thanks for posting that. This explains a lot of the weird TV deals going on this year. They are stopgaps that have to end in 2022.

I remember reading that DCU's local fans have the same issue trying to watch their non-nationally televised home games. They aren't available except by subscription to a little known newbie streaming service that none of them would be using otherwise. IOW, not on regular TV, not on cable, not on satellite, and not on MLS Live.

Sounds like MLS fans will have to deal with this crap for three and a half more seasons. Hopefully the TV contract signed in 2022 is a big step up from the current $90mil/yr and can vault MLS to the next level. It would be nice to actually win the CCL more than once every 15 years. Or it's equivalent. I'm vaguely remembering the CCL is going away... is that right?

hav77, Geneva and TrickHog repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for sharing this. It explains a lot.

7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I'll put it on my phone. Sigh. Then I have to mirror the condensed game to my TV, but the quality isn't as good.

TrickHog repped this.
  8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that's what I do... sigh...

9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valuable info about the rights deal. I'm skeptical that it will mean anything different for fans, though. The league still seems intent on squeaking out as much money as possible. Growing the fan base means accessible TV. And we still have to wait 3 more seasons for anything new. Grrrr...

10. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No guaranty that we would get anything better than spectrum sports net for lag. In fact with our neighbors to the north being media darlings lag will be hard pressed to get fees comparable to what they have now.

hav77 and Geneva repped this.
  11. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saving these valuable instructions. There's NO WAY I would have found the condensed game without them! Thanks, my friend.

TrickHog repped this.
  12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  13. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last Wednesday, I went to my 24 Hour Fitness gym and watched a half of the Galaxy game on their TV. It was the second half and it was horrible, but still there's one place I can watch a soccer game on Spectrum Sports Net, assuming I can stay on the elliptical that long. :)

TrickHog, skydog, mbar and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pluto Tv is Viacom's internet based tv service. It is free and has a quite a bit of cable channels available.

MLS has their own station where they will be showing games as well as some of their Youtube series like Extra time

15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the business model of Pluto TV? I just went to their website and I seem to have easy access to all the "free tv" without even having to enter in an email address. I'm currently watching Seattle vs. Portland from 2018. It's just weird to me. Is it really just "free" tv?

Picture quality on the MLS channel could be better.

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was confused too. This link says that they are using free content that is already on the internet.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-pluto-tv/

mbar repped this.
  17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing the sell user data? I didn't even see much about ads.

18. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    From my reading of the announcement Pluto will not be showing 2019 season games until they reach "classic" status.

I would be delighted if this isn't the case, but showing live games seems like a direct conflict with ESPN and other right holders like Spectrum.

TrickHog repped this.
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I checked it tonight. They weren’t playing the live games but a game from last season. So this is for “classic” games.

73Bruin repped this.
  20. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lame...but still smart of them to get onto that platform to maybe reach others

TrickHog repped this.
  21. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what % of the "classic" games involve LAG "unexpectedly" losing to an inferior club.

TrickHog repped this.