Ernesto Goes to Work: The 2018-19 Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the Copa result change any of your views on Valverde or the team itself? I'm curious as to what you're all thinking as to how much (or not at all) this result influences your opinion on things.

Mine is set on the matter of how the team needs to progress from top to bottom. I think Barcelona is in desperate need of more energy/hunger around the "vacas sagradas" in the team and some healthy competition for places outside of Leo, Pique and Ter Stegen. Valverde is not that manager, and should be out regardless of CDR result.

I think he's much closer to staying rather than going even with a negative result if the president's comments carry any weight.

afar, ShortyMac, unclesox and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #1002 Jpows, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Could not agree more with this. I'm very grateful for everything he has done for this club and he's not a bad coach by any means when you look at the domestic results and maybe even CL. The latter is only a problem because we can't get over that last mental hurdle in order to have a shot at least at the title. Had we held on vs Roma or Liverpool not many people would be criticizing Valverde regardless of the football we've been playing under him, except for the tiki-tika purists. This is especially true if we went on to win the title.

The main criticism in his case is that twice we have been in great positions to advance but somehow we messed it up epically. However, from what I've read it seems he will stay regardless of the CDR result.

afar repped this.
  3. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Basically saying Valverde is garbage. The state of mind if Barcelona reflects his coaching. He needs to pack and leave or next season it'll repeat all over.

afar repped this.
  4. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1004 Rana catesbeiana, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Jose should shut his trap, after he failed to get anything out of players who were able to play football before.

unclesox repped this.
  5. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Well it's not only Jose who thinks the exact same thing. It's kindergarten! Barca looked like amateurs. Valverde looked like a fool.

6. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    People can criticize Barca all they want, sometimes it's deserved, sometimes less so, but to me, Jose shouldn't be too vocal with **** like that.

unclesox repped this.
  7. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barto endorsing Valverde is a clear indication of a club that is no longer serious about winning club football's biggest prize. Astonishing levels of ineptitude on display.

We deserve the pains of Roma and Liverpool for electing this goon.

ShortyMac, Forzabarca and afar repped this.
  8. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

President Bartomeu: "I want to value someone who discreetly, with respect and intelligence is managing our team and the progressive incorporation of new values. I refer to Ernesto Valverde, in whom we fully trust."

What a loser!! Imagine if a progressive visionary was at the helm. So sad to see Leo wasting his last years in Europe with humiliating results.

ShortyMac repped this.
  9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good. League title, beating LPB in the Cup+league and LPB out in the CL round of 16 is something I will take every year.

ShortyMac and unclesox repped this.
  10. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  11. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

One doesn't exclude the other. This year everything was up for the taking but Valverde repeated same mistake from last year and even when he got away from it in the first leg he repeated the same mistake in the second leg. That's stupidity on a new level. Astronomical stupidity.

puyol repped this.
  12. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Ben!! The defeatist is why he'll also not get anywhere far. Everyone just forgets Leo who wins games from no where all the numbers doesn't reflect Valverdes feats but the sheer impact of Leo. With a coach who wouldn't repeat same mistake over and over and who would have some courage, there would be even more trophies and success. Valverde has reached his capacity and cannot go further.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I never implied that it was one or the other. But since CL only comes around once every 10 years if you're lucky, I'll take what Barca has achieved this season. If the same accomplishments were offered at the beginning of next season, I would take it again. And again. And again. And again.

unclesox repped this.
  14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Soon , very soon both Madrid clubs will a strong again ... then we will playing catch up once again ..

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can we entice @Viscaelbarca to make a CdR final thread ? Let's get some signatures ! :laugh:

evil_allan and unclesox repped this.
  16. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    [​IMG]

unclesox repped this.
  17. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    After Bartomeu openly communicated his support for Valverde now Messi has done the same. He has a good point, to be fair, which is the fact that over the last 2 seasons two bad games (CL) have basically been used to pass judgement on Valverde. The rest was great. He also said that Valverde isn't to blame for the losses, it's the players' fault.

I partially agree with him. Like I've mentioned before, we cannot argue with the results Valverde has put up regardless of the football we've been playing under him. Winning the double last season, and on track to repeating that this season is being massively overshadowed by those two games, albeit horrible losses that really should never have happened.

unclesox repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    BS. Barca didn't have 2 bad games. Barca had many bad games ... but we were just not punished for in those bad games. Barca had 2 big losses in past 2 seasons. Those are 2 different things.

Messi is either being blind or purposely lying if he thinks EV has none of the blame.

Forzabarca repped this.
  19. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I honestly think EV should get very little blame. Sure he plays it conservatively but a lot of winning managers do and did. The players on the pitch let us down with their performance.

unclesox repped this.
  20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Valverde still decides team selection ( poor) , tactics (poor) and style of play ( dire) .... soooo..

PS

Under Valverde Messi managed a second place , followed last year by a lowly fifth place in the Ballon D’or

21. Spinp

Spinp Member

May 8, 2019
    Exactly, it's amusing how people are blind to this.

22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Maybe Messi is simply a naturally gifted phenomenon but not as intelligent as we assume ?

( Ala .. Gazza , Rooney , Becks ..)

23. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Of course he's not, not many football players would even pass 3rd grade math. Messi is just trying to be politically correct as captain not throwing EV under the buss where he belongs. It's EV tactics and substitutions or lack of. Also mainly because last game of the season is not played. If it was, we'd hear a totally different tone. CDR saving EV ass is just pathetic.

24. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Exactly, people have forgotten the games like Villareal where 0-2 went swiftly to 4-2 but miraculously ended 4-4. That's was just pure frickin luck scoring 2 in last mins. But EV tactics and lack of action resulted in Villareal scoring 4 goals.

It's Messi that has saved the results over and over and people think EV is behind it. EV does a decent job but he's not cut out for Barca. EV winning this and that many trophies?! Please its Messi that has won this and that many trophies and EV was there for the ride. Even frickin Boateng has won La Liga.