The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Unless they offer a better contract. A friend who talked with him recently said that while he was incredibly professional and did not in any way say anything negative or revealing about SKC or Porto or possible transfers, he did express a bit of frustration and confusion about the uncertainty of his situation. I know it seems simple on here, but ....
    EPB cannot sign for an Eredivisie club for less than an MLS DP salary ($463k), a salary that's significantly higher than the average Eredivisie deal ($313k).
    Ike Opara's salary, according to the annual release on this, is about a third of that ($150k). FWIW, Besler is on $725k.
    So what is EPB's market value salary?
    At this point, Opara is a better CB. I have no question that EPB can be better than Opara. He's freakishly calm under pressure, but is he worth an MLS DP contract at this point?
    Figuring out a move that allows him to play on a regular basis (essential to his development and future value), yet pays him what is required and he thinks he is worth is not a problem with any easy answers.
    And, to all outside appearances, he only has one actual offer right now, and that's from SKC.
    He has months to find a deal, but he's been able to sign with others for almost two months now.

superdave, sakibomb523, deejay and 2 others repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I do respect that he/his agent are looking for the ideal move for him. Not going to the first club that shells out $$$

superdave repped this.
  3. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Yeah, Ive criticized Vermes lack of player rotation in the past but I'm more frustrated w/ the general situation than Vermes specifically. Opara and Besler are a great CB pairing, can't take anything away from them, but EPB is too good and with too high a potential to spend the next season or two as the #3 CB. He was a tank while on loan at Porto B, helping them win a title as one of their best players and then was excellent at both the U-20 Concacaf tourney (won golden ball) and the WC (was put in a couple foreign publications "best starting XI").

He's already 20 yrs old while McKennie, a player over a year younger and historically wasn't as highly rated a prospect as EPB when playing at FCD, is on the verge of breaking into a bundesliga squad. He needs to leave and I dont think he should have signed for SKC in the first place

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not sure Opara's a better CB. Opara's having a great season, but he's 28 and he's having his first really high level MLS season. Is this his normal level and it was only injuries or is this just his peak? At EPB's age, Miazga was one of the top 5 CB's in MLS, and most think EPB is even better than Miazga. Glad is a top 10-20 MLS CB, and many think EPB is way better than Glad, so while I think people understand why Vermes is not playing him much (SKC's defense is elite), it doesn't mean he wouldn't improve the defense. We don't know exactly where he ranks on the CB spectrum because he doesn't play enough, everyone's guessing.

If for some reason he were to just accept the money and stay, I'd have to think it'd be a huge offer. I can't think if the offers are anywhere near the same as the salary from Europe, he'd accept the MLS offer, given you are basically asking him to not try to play at the highest levels at the sport for the purpose of making more money. Would someone really do that for an extra 15-20K? And while you might be correct about the average Eredivisie salary, I gotta think he's not gonna sign with the average Eridivisie team or the average team in a comparable league, so I'm just guesstimating, but I think he's looking at north of 500k per year signing in Europe (which would be a top 10 defender salary in MLS). While you might not have to pay him Besler's salary, I would think it wouldn't have to be too far off that. We are talking about probably the best overall young player in MLS. If you want to keep him, you gotta pay up. Thats if he would even entertain MLS offers, he might not.

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My statement that Opara is better right now, as i noted, was not based on EPB's potential, or what he could be right now if he'd been starting all year. Its simply based on what he did during his short spell in the defense versus what Opara did. As I noted, EPB probably has a higher upside, but his performances, while good, didn't show him to be better than Opara at this moment. You watched him. Do you disagree?
    I and many SKC fans would have liked him to play more this summer, esp as many would have liked Opara to take a couple more weeks to recover.
    As for the money, I wasn't saying he is or is not worth it. Regardless, he can sign right now with any club on Earth (outside of MLS) and we're not hearing about offers. They may be in hand and he's quietly considering them, but, again based on a breif chat that may or may not mean anything, he didn't appear to be contemplating offers as much as frustrated.
    As for what Opara makes, that's just my guess for the range SKC offered. I'd have thought he's worth more, but I don't write those checks.

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They will still get some training compensation. Actually quite a bit depending on where he lands. In a way it's sort of a wash. If they sold him last year they only got 75% of the money. Training compensation is probably 100%. So suppose Porto wanted to pay 1 million a year ago while training compensation is 500k. Both are reasonable figures. At that point it's a wash. Best to get another year out of the guy as a reasonable backup.

7. For the new season this is what the minimum wage requirement is for the Eredivisie:
    "Spelers van 18 en 19 jaar van buiten de EER, die bij een Nederlandse BVO onder contract staan, moeten per jaar minimaal 208.875 euro verdienen. Voor spelers van 20 jaar en ouder geldt een bedrag van 417.750 euro per jaar."

So under 20 year old must earn 208,875 €€ and 20 year and older must be payed at least 417,750 €€.
    Only the top 3 pay that 417k+, but arenot going to pay that for a player without European or South American experience. It's against their salary structure to pay that kind of money for an unproven player, thus angering players under contract with lower paying contracts. Players have to have considerable potential at 18 to be considered by the Dutch top 3. If you're 22, not from Europe than you're not on the Dutch radar because you're either signed by a big money club or not good enough to skip a lower wage costing European prospect.

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sometimes the timing is just not right. They could have done more to get him in the lineup but it was never going to be a Miazga scenario. I think the main thing is that they should have resigned him two years ago. If you sign a defender for four years at 16 it's virtually a given that he won't see much time until his very last year in contract.

mschofield repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm just not sure there's much to compare here, in terms of actual play, so I think we can only go off guesses. He's only played a few games, usually not consecutive games, so there's no rhythm there. He's done fairly well, had a few matches where he was excellent, and then some where he was only "good", but I wouldn't say he's had any bad matches or that he's been at fault for any goals. I don't think we can properly judge his level compared to others without more games. But it really doesn't matter.

I can't speak to the teams that have interest, I don't have any info, you don't seem to know either, but if for some reason he has no concrete interest from Europe, I think we'll all just have to accept that MLS players are unable to move to Europe because we are talking about a player that won the Golden Ball at the U-20 Qualifying tournament, was the best defender at the U-20 WC, and was the biggest standout (or certainly one of the main two or three) for Porto's reserves that won the second division in Portugal. Teams scout those games, so I really don't think there's anything to worry about here, I think he has tons of European interest.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  11. I have serious doubts with that number.
    From the Vitesse site I google translated the FIFA rules for international transfers:
    http://m.vitesse.org/nieuws/vitesse...-solidariteitsbijdrage-bij-transfers.html?f=h

International transfers

An international transfer is a transfer between two clubs from different countries. The transfer from PSV to AS Roma by Kevin Strootman is an example. On international transfers, the FIFA regulations apply.

Training allowance

The training allowance for international transfers is the most difficult to calculate from the fees mentioned here.

Clubs are entitled to training fees if:

1. A player's first contract closes with a professional club, or

2. a professional player is transferred;

Before the end of the season in which he reached the age of 23 years.

This rule consists of three exceptions. There is no need to pay a training fee as:

The club leaving the player has terminated the contract without urgent reason. This exception does not affect clubs where the player played for it;
    If the player is transferred to a category 4 category;
    As a player after the transfer, he will play again as an amateur;

The training fee is thus fixed at fixed amounts. The main rule is that the level of training fee is based on the costs that the new club itself would have made to educate the player. For this calculation, the FIFA distributes the clubs into categories. You can see that format here:

Confederation Category I Category II Category III Category IV
    AFC - $ 40,000 $ 10,000 $ 2,000
    CAF - $ 30,000 $ 10,000 $ 2,000
    CONCACAF - $ 40,000 $ 10,000 $ 2,000
    CONMEBOL $ 50,000 $ 30,000 $ 10,000 $ 2,000
    OFC - $ 30,000 $ 10,000 $ 2,000
    UEFA € 90,000 € 60,000 € 30,000 € 10,000

Category I is for the biggest clubs and Category IV are the smallest clubs. In the Netherlands you can roughly say that Eredivisie clubs are in category I, First Division Clubs in categories II and III and amateur clubs in category IV.

If a player is transferred from a European Club from category I to a European Class III category, then the sales club (Category I) receives € 30,000 per year that the player received (see the UEFA Table under Category III). If a player from a category III club is transferred to a category I club, that club will receive $ 90,000 a year from training the player (see UEFA Table under category I).

Within the European Economic Area there is an exception. If a player for a club plays from a higher category than the club that trained him, it is unlike in the rest of the world, the average. So if a player from a Category III club is going to a category I class, the training costs will not be € 90,000 per season, but € 60,000 per season. That's € 90,000 + € 30,000: 2 = € 60,000.

With regard to the training allowance, one player's training goes up to the season in which a player becomes 23 years old. The amount to be reimbursed per training year is determined on the basis of the above calculation. However, the years in which the player was from 12 to 15 years old, the fee is based on a category IV club.

Clubs in category IV do not have to pay a training fee.

Solidarity contribution

As with national transfers, the solidarity contribution for international transfers is always 5% of the transfer fee. The FIFA assumes that the training of a player lasts until the season in which he becomes 23. For the training years in which the player from 16 to 23 years was paid 10% of the solidarity contribution. That's 0.5% of the total transfer fee. For the years in which the player was 12 to 15 years old, 5% is calculated per year. That's 0.25% of the total transfer fee. This is also another way than the KNVB.

Conclusion

The pool fee for transfers of youth players between Dutch professional clubs has not even been considered in this article. We can conclude that the system of training fees and solidarity contributions is complicated and unclear.

12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes this is his normal level. opara should be on the USMNT, imo. next question.
    two things: one....MLS wants players to have limited rights....and it is having a deleterious impact on the value/development of their players....even costing the league money i.e. transfers. i doubt that the people running MLS realize this.

two: re: mckennie vs. epb and the relative level of leagues vs MLS....i think the barriers to entry for americans i.e. top 4 leagues make it seem like the gulf between MLS and europe is bigger than it is in terms of level. and i agree he needs to get out of MLS asap.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just to note, I was converting into USD, so whatever that was, $463k or something

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Without the injuries, no doubt about this. the problem he's had is that his normal level over the past five years has been either great or too often IR.

15. Noted:thumbsup:But my number stays the same this year, but the $$number goes up or down depending on the twitter message from a certain person;)

mschofield and comoesa repped this.
  16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    altidore's missed the last five usmnt tourneys injured....not stopping a core player from staying part of the core....shouldnt stop anyone else.

mschofield repped this.
  17. Ajax just signed Austrian 19 year old left CD Maximilian Weber for a transfer fee of 7.5 million €€.
    So the CD numbers at Ajax are at old level.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It can be complicated but in this case it's simple. It's an international transfer. The player is 20 years old. He has only been contracted under one club since he was 12. He has been a pro with that clubs for four years. Maybe, just maybe the one year loan to Porto may complicate things a little. I can't see the compensation being less than 300k euro. More likely 400k.

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree that typically this is for players from countries with a proven track record. That said, what's the transfer fee for those guys? Even for defender? From what I heard, a guy like Davinson Sanchez cost Ajax 5 million while Orejuela cost 3 million. Erik, in my opinion, could have gone for 2 or 3 million if he were shopped around a bit. That moment is past since he is out on a free (just 400k in comp money). Now he can just go to the place that offers him the most salary.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The comp money goes to SKC, so that's $400,000 to SKC. When SKC sold Nemeth, their share of the $3m transfer fee was $650,000, the rest going to the league.
    It's more, granted, but there isn't that much of an incentive to sell.
    Selling withing MLS is more lucrative, and as a fan it's better as the alphabet soup of allocation bucks has to go toward players

21. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand all the moving parts and why MLS structured things the way they have, why it makes sense from Vermes's perspective to stick with the veterans who are performing well and won't be going anywhere, why EPB resigned in the first place, because nothing is guaranteed in this world, etc.

Having said all of that, this is super frustrating and is one more example of where we continuously shoot ourselves in the foot with players developing in that crucial zone of becoming a legit professional and developing high level tactical acumen. This kid needs and deserves to be playing real games in a legit league.

adam tash repped this.
  22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The more top tier players that are developed the more issues we will see. The clubs then will start looking to change the rules. I've heard some say that changes will be happening soon.

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    EPB signed with SKC before he finished high school.
    That contract expires in January. What exactly could have been done differently to this point.

24. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He shouldn't have signed with them. Plain and simple.

He was a pro before Jack Harrison, Ronald Matarrita, Jonathan Lewis. Hell, before Joe Gomez, too. Before Trent AA.

Was, at one point, a better prospect than any of them. Still should be. SKC dicked it all up. That much can't be argued. Say they did what was best for their team or whatever.

Some clubs care about playing youth. Others don't. Kids should learn and sue the shit out of MLS to get out of the stupid ass regional limitations.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He is.