The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    shouldn't they be trying to see him for the highest bidder before he walks?

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that stage is over. They might find someone willing to give them a couple bucks for the next five months, but that's unlikely, and with Opara's status and Besler's nats time, SKC is unlikely to see a token payment as worth more to them than having him around through the end of the season. He's playing well when he plays, very professional.

deejay, The Irish Rover, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  3. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a cluster f by SKC if true. one of their brightest ever prospects leaving on a free after make a handful or two of first team starts. seems like he got a taste for europe and wants more; who can blame him

adam tash, TxEx and largegarlic repped this.
  4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he re-signs with them.

mschofield repped this.
  5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I agree. I have no idea what went on behind the scenes, obviously, but it seems like SKC is getting the worst of both worlds here. They're losing a very good prospect for nothing, and they never really got much benefit from him on the field either, just a handful of starts to fill in for injuries or call-ups.

adam tash repped this.
  6. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    I'm not sure really anything has gone down behind the scenes, Vermes just sucks (at player development). You would think w/ a player as injury prone as Opara that Vermes would want to rotate the centerbacks more.

7. And I'll troll you by putting it in your PM:D

The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1733 ussoccer97531, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Besler played 300 minutes in a six day stretch from the previous weekend to last weekend. Vermes probably rotates less than any other MLS coach, he's always been like this. Before that, he played Opara 13 days after sustaining a terrible concussion. Good coach and good team, but thats probably the worst environment with the league for a young player.

But EPB has gotten some minutes of late because Besler was at the Gold Cup and then last weekend was one of the first times all weekend he's rested Opara. I'm not sure EPB will continue to get that many minutes though. Maybe he'll get a few when Besler's away on international duty, but that would assume there are games during that time. Once the playoffs start, I gotta think the minutes stop, unless there's an injury. What Vermes really should've done is go to a back 3 by now.

JRB92, Sup Bro and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

A better CB prospect than Miazga IMO. NY got 5M off Miazga. If SKC actually played EPB regularly and handled this well, a fee of 7-10M was possible. Instead they won't even get a coupon for a free burrito for Chipotle out of it while also telling any other elite prospect to stay away from them, like Sargent. Could have been the highest transfer fee out of MLS since Altidore.

Job well done.

BTW, if they didn't want to play him and don't generally favor playing youth, that's fine. Many clubs don't. But if that's the case they should have just flipped him to Juve for 1M a couple years ago.

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    EPB should have gotten a lot more minutes lately. Opara hasn't looked quite like himself since the concussion. He needed more time to recover.
    EPB appears to be gone, but he is now free to sign with whomever he wants, and there do not appear to be any concrete offers. SKC has a buttload of extra money that has to be spent on the roster from the Dwyer trade, and they could increase the offer that doesn't appear to be thrilling EPB, but, again, they don't appear to be doing that.
    However, as for the young player comment, consider the front line they've been using since deciding to trade dwyer, two 20 year olds and a 24 year old.
    FWIW, I and many SKC fans believe a 3-4-3, 3-5-2 would work quite well, but Vermes plays a 4-3-3 and that doesn't look to be changing.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reads like Objective Reality molested you as a child and that made you insanely angry at it ever since.

1. This awesome prospect that is the subject of this thread developed at Vermes' club.
    2. Under Vermes, journeyman Kei Kamara developed and was sold.
    3. Dwyer went from a minor leaguer to a Nat and the richest intra-MLS transfer in history.
    4. Besler.
    5. Under Vermes, Uri Rosell went from Barca washout to getting sold to...i forget which Portuguese club.
    6. I wouldn't say that Nemeth developed under Vermes, but he did get sold.
    7. Roger Espinoza went from college draftee to the Prem and the World Cup.

Have I forgotten anyone @mschofield ?

Good God almighty some of y'all are...remarkably ill-informed.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I read Euro forums. I don't see any signs of interest by anyone in EPB, which is a bummer.

13. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If you got ko'd like that in ufc u would have a medical suspension of 60 days

14. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. NFLcwpuld probably still have him in protocol. Sorry news when you are getting "out player safetied" by the NFL.

15. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are all fine players, toeing the line between championship and low level Premier league level mostly. I don't doubt he's squeezed the most out of them.

But watching EPB play he looks to have a much higher ceiling than that. Vermes' lack of rotation, or finding any way to squeeze EPB onto the field this year feels myopic.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right. My post was a response to one specific assertion which is the wrongest wrong that could be said about Vermes.

Except for one thing.

There is nothing one thing more wrong.

That would be admiring Vermes for his calm demeanor.

17. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    What does the head coach have to do with the development of an academy player who's gotten more minutes on loan at Porto than the first team? Either way his ceiling is much higher than MLS so the sooner he leaves the better

Dwyer played three seasons of college soccer and was drafted by SKC where he had to go on loan to Orlando city to get playing time where he then broke records and was recalled when his talent was made clear. He was already around 22-23 when he actually started playing for SKC.

I don't think he's a bad coach and I'm aware he can bring out the quality in his players, I should have been more specific and said hes uninterested in youth development even when the talent is apparent. Your whole "what if I was a joss whedon character but somehow less funny" thing you have going on is really hit or miss imo.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    You forgot:

8. Vermes sucks.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1744 The Irish Rover, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    [​IMG]

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1745 The Irish Rover, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    No! You're wrong! There's absolutely no way that I'll come ba . . . erm . . . um . . .
    [he crawls away]

:D

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe they did, and he/his handlers rebuffed the interest, gambling on a move to Europe.

If so, it's a damn risky move. He can suffer a career-ending injury in MLS play or training, and get nothing but the insurance payout on his existing contract. He could also suffer a career-ending injury in the parking lot at Safeway and get absolutely nothing.

If SKC were playing hardball, it was up to him to stand firm and force a move, especially before he came back from Porto.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Or he rates EPB much lower than others on here. A couple years back, he could have played a young inexperienced EPB and instead played a young never in a million years a cb Kevin Ellis. this summer, when Ike went down and it looked really bad, he could have played EPB for a solid two months for sake of safety. He chose to get (rush IMO) Opara back into the lineup. I think it's clear that SKC do rate EPB, but not as highly as he is rated on here. From the perspective of an SKC fan, that's too bad, but vermes does a pretty decent job of putting together good sides on the cheap

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  23. One of the CD's of PSV, de Wijs, who just was pulled back from loan to Excelsior, is now according to Italian sources the target of Lazio, who see him as a replacement for fellow Dutchman Hoedt, who's probably on the move to the EPL.
    So that could open up a void for EPB, if things move this way.
    So it seem the Italians kept an eye on him while playing for Excelsior. Another example of not having to play for the Dutch top three to be on top league teams radar! Bet teams are watching with interest what Miazga is going to do in the EL matches!

24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    skc has given up by faar the lowest goals in MLS this year....hard to blame vermes for not playing epb considering

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would be a monumental mistake by epb