The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Welcome aboard!

2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Can you make GIFs? That's a great idea.

3. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I missed that one. TBH, I only saw the second half and hear he was more impactful in the first.

4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB is too good. I have no idea why one of these clubs that have the money and clout just won't fork over 4-5mil to SKC for him and avoid trying to competing with a bunch of clubs in free agency at the end of this year.

5. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really you have no idea? 4-5 mil for a kid they can get on a free who has not played many division one games...seems easy to understand

6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. I mean that is chump change for top EPL academy prospects and EPB is one of the best CB prospect in his age group in the orld. I'm assuming said club would really want him and could save on his salary over the long term as compared to having to up the ante in regards to their salary offer to fend off rivals.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there anything suggesting he wants to go to the EPL? He doesn't have to accept any bid at this point. KC can try but given EPB is on a free in a few months he can decline. He chooses who he wants his next contract to be with.

8. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was just an example. I would prefer he avoid the EPL to avoid work permit drama among other issues.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  10. That's what Lyon just payed for Tete, from Ajax and Orange international.

frankburgers and Dr.Phil repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Men v. Boys. $$$$$

884958259802763264 is not a valid tweet id

884965068378689538 is not a valid tweet id

12. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and to think, with more PT he could've been playing tonight with the Nats...

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That'd be nice, but I'm just happy he's seeing the field at a higher level than the USL.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what does everyone rate his worth as of right now?

I kinda would like to see him France. I can only think of Bedoya, Davies and Bocanegra as having played there.

15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why France

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Great league for him to test his defensive capabilities. Arguably less pressure than the "dog eat dog" PL. Also, it's nice to see Yanks branch out. I wanna see more of guys venture to the La Liga/Serie A/Ligue 1.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how the Prem is an option.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Prem clubs splash the clash. They let their lawyers worry about work permits.

19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Why are we getting these specific updates on each match he's playing with SKC in this thread? Hell, thought there was some actual Euro news.

20. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Vanney spent a couple of years in France. At least one on the Ile de Beaute. Not to forget David Regis, our most French American.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It helps bring up the excitement.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1672 thedukeofsoccer, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    It impacts his prospects of going overseas in both directions. On one hand it could mean he's of use to SKC this season where they appear to be MLS Cup contenders. On the other it raises the selling price which MLS/SKC would have required to prompt a move or if he leaves on a free in the offseason it improves the stature of his subsequent league/club. Now he may actually be viewed as worthy of the mighty Eredivisie in 2017.

BTW, there are only only be 2 match updates (because that's unfortunately all he's played this year, which makes it news). Expect another update for the following league game, which will only be his second of the variety, and last before Besler is expected to return. Then you may see one or two if he's still playing regardless because it's at d-mid or he's broken into SKC's daunting (for MLS) cb pairing. It should die down once he's settled in.

You can deal with it for that long, right? Or do you have a narrow view of what's pertinent discussion in this thread and think it should be nothing but specific European transfer rumors?

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    They spend more on that on academy kids from South America.

24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like who? Plus not on players with expiring contracts

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I've been following US Soccer since the 1998 WC, and EPB is the best looking central defender prospect I've seen since Eddie Pope.

He's also probably the first, legit Cannavaro-style prospect we've produced with international potential.

We've always been able to produce athletes at CB, but never someone as smooth, intelligent, AND athletic as EPB. He's a first for us.

And I have no idea why teams are hesitant to spend money on him. To me, he looks like a $10M prospect.