The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting midweek against Philly in under an hour. This is why they kept him instead of selling him at a discounted million.

2. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn it I had a couple of unimportant things to do.

3. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him resign with SKC.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't utter those words. o_O

For real though, he's too good for MLS, needs a new challenge.

jjmack, TxEx and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice if he actually played regularly in MLS, to be able to say that. The p.t. would be good for him, wherever he gets it. So I wouldn't bemoan too much if somebody in MLS signed him, provided he actually played. Especially if it's as a destroyer 6 where he could raise his value internationally and professionally.

I think that would have been a good deal for both sides if Minnesota had acquired EPB from the start of this season, instead of 30+ year olds to fortify their d in a season where they're a long shot to even make the playoffs. To make it worth their while EPB could have extended his contract at least a year. Few teams in MLS are doing their jobs to provide a counter to the DP/allocation craze by acquiring and developing young, promising domestic talent, to have for the future.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think he needs the PT to prove it. I'd prefer he got it, but its not needed. There are players who get more playing time who don't prove it. I've seen him play for Porto B, for the U-20's, he'd be one of MLS's best players of any age if he played regularly, IMO. At the same age, Miazga was one of MLS's best players, as was Yedlin, and I think he is a better player than both.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking isn't knowing. You know I like the guy, but Miazga and Yedlin proved it first. With EPB you have to put a puzzle together. The pieces seem to fit, but we can't confirm it's tried.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Right, he does have to prove it for it to be true, but I don't know why its essential that he proves it.

If he's ready for the next challenge, he can leave without anyone knowing for sure if he would've been one of the best players in MLS. Thats not a prerequisite for leaving.

9. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    thats all he does. ruins a lot of quality conversations.

The Irish Rover and DeRo4Life repped this.
  10. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1635 Lookingforleftbacks, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    30 minutes in I'd say EPB has been one of skc's best players. Nothing fancy just a clean game and calm on the ball. Opara has been the one with a few careless mistakes.

The one criticism I have is EPB tends to force the long pass at times almost to show that he can fit the ball into a tight window but doesn't realize the the player who receives his pass has nowhere to go with it.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why we go up, back, and through. If the CB has the vision and technique to play an accurate penetrating pass on the ground that can bypass levels, it's someone else's job to provide immediate support underneath and it's the receiving players job to recognize where the support will come from and not lose possession. Assuming the pass is controllable of course, if it can't be controlled that's on EPB, if the receiving player receives and just can't solve the following problem that's on him or other players.

onefineesq repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad the MLS system is what it is as the question should be, could he lock down a starting spot and help any team in MLS, rather than having KC as his choice as it's an awful situation.

So he's pretty much forced to go abroad as MLS isn't an option for him.

ATL has a shaky backline. That would be a pretty decent situation for him.

13. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I only saw the second half and he looked solid. I'm not sure he did enough with his opportunity, though. He could have been much more aggressive offensively. He has it in him. He played as if he has one foot out the door.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It totally depends what that means.

I don't think he's going to leapfrog two of the best CB's in the league this year with one game, unless he does something incredible. At the same time, there's not a need to. Besler should be gone until like August, hopefully EPB's gotten a few games in by then, and is sold right in time for when Besler returns, which should be a win-win for everyone. EPB keeps sharp for the upcoming season by playing a few games, SKC gets a pretty similar quality to what they get from Besler for a month, and they also probably get a small transfer fee instead of getting none in the winter.

Philly posed no threat in this game, its pretty much impossible for a CB to have a great game when they aren't challenged all game. He had a pretty good game, no mistakes, most touches of any player in this game, but he also didn't face many attacks coming towards him. Maybe a CB can be great in a game like this if they score on a set piece or spring a goal from the back, but those are not every game occurrences for CB's.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I don't disagree. He had a solid game where he wasn't challenged much defensively. But you and I both know he can be dangerous both on set pieces and initiating attacks. It was commonplace for him to do so at Porto B. Doesn't really matter, I guess. He'll find a good gig either this window or next.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, more or less. His demeanor was very, casual I'd say. Still went about his business, but didn't make the impact he could have on set pieces/offense. Better than Ellis, not as good as Besler-Opara normally. It's farfetched he would ever supplant them. But he should be doing it to Ellis, and he has another game while Besler is away to display he should be on the field somewhere, or in a rotation.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    And to clarify, I agree he wouldn't displace Besler or Opara even if he had scored off a set piece. By not doing enough with his opportunity, I was referring more to stifling naysayers.

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think he could have done more unless Opara didn't stick to Sapong for most the game. Would have been good to see him play with an athletic forward. Though it was probably planned from SKC.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. He was playing CB. And even from there he was quite active. @Lookingforleftbacks is complaining he was too offensive in one way, and you are complaining that he wasn't offensive enough. I think he was pretty much right in the lane he was supposed to drive in. Snuffed out numerous attacks, was sharp on the ball, played safely when in traffic and played more offensive balls when those passes were into a position that wouldn't allow a breakout counterattack. I'm not sure what else he could have done in this game. He is simply smoother than all, and I mean ALL of the other CB's we have, at any level. Doesn't mean I'm saying we throw him in as a starter in world cup qualifying now, because experience is needed. But the smoothness/fluidity of his game and of his movement and his comfort on the ball out of the back is like no one we have. Even our best players back there are herky/jerky in how they move, panicky on the ball, or don't have the ability/speed to read and recover as easily as he does. He just needs experience.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    That goes without saying. I just feel he is good enough to have impacted the game more.

edit: although I really did like how he got in Benny's face to prevent his ejection. It's like he's still wearing the armband from the U-20s ;)

21. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if you saw the first half you wouldn't feel that way. Skc very clearly shifted the attack from his side to Opara's at halftime. EPB was far more involved in the first half and even got forward a couple times.

@onefineesq I don't mean to say he was too offensive. @chrome_vapors is probably right and it's probably more of his teammate's fault for not adjusting when he makes those long passes. But there are times when he fits a 30 yard pass into a teammate who is surrounded by 3 defenders and the ball is often moving so fast and bouncing enough that his teammate has to take a heavy touch and loses possession.

But all of that is sort of nit-picking. I thought he showed very well. He had a ton of clearances, broke up some crosses and even blocked a shot. I thought the service on the set pieces was lacking from Feilhaber most of the night so I don't really blame EPB for not creating any offensive opportunities. Hopefully he gets a start Tuesday, too

Eighteen Alpha and chrome_vapors repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1647 ussoccer97531, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    883171630595403778 is not a valid tweet id

883172368780230657 is not a valid tweet id

883169887283290112 is not a valid tweet id

Which one is the 32 year old captain wearing the armband and which is the 20 year old in his first start of the season?

Winoman, ChuckMe92, Gacm32 and 5 others repped this.
  23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing EPB did last night was earth shattering or world class. Nothing he did made you sit up and say wow. But guess what.........he did not need to be world class. He needed to be efficient. He needed to be smart. He needed to get the job done. EPB did just that. What impressed me -- if you will -- is that he walked right into the lineup and fit like a glove. Unless someone told you, there was zero indication from his play that it was his 1st league match of the season. You would have no idea he is 20 years old. EPB looked like he belonged. He looked like he was making his 18th start of the season and was the leader of the backline. Those attributes, that ability to literally just walk into the lineup seamlessly is what has me salivating at his prospects. The kid can flat out play. EPB gets it. It looks effortless at times. I have no doubt he can play and contribute to a team in a top 5 league. Unfortunate that he is stuck behind Belser and Opara but how can you argue against those two right now? You can't. BTW, I love a healthy Ike Opara. But anyways......... EPB glides and defends like an Eddie Pope and has the touch and passing of a Carles Puyol. I am going to ride the bandwagon.

24. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    A picture is worth a thousand words. In a nutshell, why Feilhaber isn't a regular National team player and EPB will soon be. If only this clip would automatically pop up when Feilhaber's name is mentioned in the Nats forum.

Midas Mulligan, Winoman, m vann and 3 others repped this.
  25. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, he did hit the crossbar on a corner that was called back.