The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope SKC gets nothing if and when EPB signs for a euro team. i hope that euro team is one he will actually be able to play for...at the highest possible level. and i think opara is better than hedges, zimmerman and omar gonzalez.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Go AJAX.

Be part of the Legends.

It's where Jozy should have gone instead of Sunderland #StillAnnoyed4YearsLater

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And SKC says there has not been an offer, that they've prepared a new and competitive contract and that he's considering it. The big issue remains playing time, though. If he doesn't re-sign within the next week for SKC, it will be time to look for a pre contract somewhere else.

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're always so salty. Why?

Starman* and Anderson11 repped this.
  5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cuz i think us soccer - from fans to coaches to pundits - is being run by morons...collectively. EPB shouldve been starting in MLS for several seasons now...instead, to protect the "autonomy" of MLS clubs - a laughable concept in single-entity - he must sit on the bench and rot - and then - what really gets me - fans want SKC to maximize profit in their sale of EPB! they are screwing the development of their young players in MLS!! so owners can have control over everything!! and fans care about individual club profit margins?!?! who gives a f about how much SKC makes in a EPB sale?? I dont! if they were doing everything they could to maximize his development...then yes i would want SKC to get some $$$...but they are screwing the pooch here....for what??

and a player like Opara....who - NEWSFLASH- is a big reason why SKC is near the top of the standings and is a big reason why SKC is at the top of MLS defensively - cant play for USMNT cuz why?? becuz omar gonzalez, hedges, jonathon spector, tim ream, lol ...okay.....

i'm just tired of watching a team be run so poorly....and im tired of going online and seeing that the majority of other people who want the same team to do well as me...cant seem to see how poorly things are being run.

I'm salty because the USMNT HAS NEVER...not once in my lifetime...had a truly world class coach. the day they get a great coach....is the day the USMNT will be a perennial top 10 team in the world....it will happen one day....hasnt hapoend yet so i am salty.

6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not as if SKC loaned him out for an entire year to a club known for great development - with a loan that included a reasonable option to buy

Yeah, they've been out to screw him

7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, what?

8. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I was rockin with you, until the last paragraph. It would take much more than that to make us a Top 10 side. We don't have the talent, top to bottom, to fo that. It's really not close. The only team I could see us competing with in the top 10 is Switzerland, and they still have superior talent all over the pitch.

jnielsen and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    It's going to take more than a world class manager for us to win. Soccer is no different then any other pro sport in the sense that the best players play in the best leagues and face elite competition regularly. Until MLS is a top 10 league or we fill the team with top 10 caliber players who are based overseas, we will never win it all. Never. Even then victory is not close to guaranteed. There is nothing different about this game than other games. You can't bullshit your way to a championship and win.

10. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not so wise to make sweeping charges against others in the landscape as morons!

11. Have been looking for PSV and Ajax sources mentioning interest, but nada. I have the impression from reading the starter of the rumour, Metro, that it is simply shit fake news. They mention a (MLS) league source for the news and list a multiple number of clubs.
    Short version, bullocks.

mschofield and Gorky repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I just hope SKC doesn't ruin their opportunity to net a few million bucks

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That blows. I guess time to return to my Global Economics assignment.

14. This is what a PSV fan posted:
    "Captain van Amerika onder 20 maar op basis van beeldmateriaal liever niet."
    "Captain of U20 America, but based on footage, no thanks

JRB92 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. I get suspicious, when no Dutch club sources talk about it, the Kansas management says no approaches have been made, the Metro links coveniently dove tail with common known relations like Chelsea/Vitesse, Chelsea/PSV, ManCity/NAC, but non of the EPL clubs have been mentioning themselves any interest at all.
    When the Lozano hype began with PSV there were clear signs from PSV that they wanted him.

16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think EPB is a great prospect on the world stage. I'm surprised that there isn't more interest.

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Lozano, do you know if there is some sort of Mexican connection at PSV?

18. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Pretty sure you can cut and paste a fan saying just about anything and everything. Probably another one who says he is pepe reborn. Means nothing.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Remember the absolute lack of interest in Besler and Gonzo after the WC '14? Not surprised, our players are brutally under appreciated.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's mostly an unknown to European football. Plays for his MLS team's "B" team, doesn't have any NT caps yet, comes from a country that historically is not well scouted by European clubs. Even with a player like Lozano, you are talking about a Mexican international, a guy who is one of LigaMX's best players, he's the type of player that fans are talking about wanting their teams to sign because its easy to find info on him and watch him play.

With EPB, the reaction is usually "who" from these European fans? So I think that plays into it. These journalists who get stories have to dig for them. Much easier to find a story of a known name than an unknown name. They also aren't purchasing him for 30M, this is probably a free transfer of a complete unknown player. Probably lower on the spectrum of journalist interest to get this story. This very well might slip under the radar. I'd be shocked if he didn't have significant European interest. And also, the "club sources" didn't say there isn't interest, they said no transfer offers have been made. Big difference between those two.

If this is a free transfer, there's no reason they would contact the club. Also, even if there have been discussions about a pre-contract+6 month loan (for the duration of his SKC contract), there might have been no official offer. The offer can come at the end. Clubs usually talk before offers are made. A lot of the time, agents get transfers done with one club, and then go to the club that the player is already at to tell them they need to find an agreement.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA rules require the potential new club to notify the losing club:

A club intending to conclude a contract with a professional must inform the player’s current club in writing before entering into negotiations with him. A professional shall only be free to conclude a contract with another club if his contract with his present club has expired or is due to expire within six months. Any breach of this provision shall be subject to appropriate sanctions.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm sure they'll find out about it, but you really think clubs contact the team before they contact the player?

What FIFA wants and what happens aren't always the same thing, I'd assume.

23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I think they do, actually. Risk/reward ratio is huge if they don't.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Mino Raiola practically decides which players some clubs will buy in the window lol, I don't think FIFA has total control over these types of things, but I digress.

25. That's right, but from the 4 fans on the psv fansite the other ones had no clue who he was or what qualities he has and responded kind of if ManCity buys him we can loan him. The guy I quoted was the only one who made clear he has seen him playing and wasnot impressed. For the rest of the reactions on internet it was all only rehashing what Metro said. So he was the only one I found who had an opinion based on what he had seen. All the rest on internet about PSV/Ajax/EPB is vapor, no substance.
    That doesnot mean that there is no interest at all from the 2 clubs, and the fact he's transfer free in januari is a plus for Dutch clubs, as is the fact he played a while for Porto.
    But all signs point to click bait from Metro. Only source "quoted" is a MLS league source. The latest situation reported is all clubs mentioned left the stage apart from the Dutch, without any of those clubs even saying anything about being involved.
    This is all we've got, including the fans reactions I quoted.
    It still could be true, but even a blind man shooting a gun could hit something.