The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand using this U20 talk as an excuse for not playing him. He was released because Vermes has banished him.

In my parallel universe he's a regular starter for KC, doesn't get released as he's a key player and the transfer fee is 5-10M. He's already known by Euro clubs. Miazga, IMO a lesser player at age 20 funneled regular NY starts into a 5M deal. No reason EPB shouldn't get a higher fee.

2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long you expect Sanchez to stick around? Maybe one more season...

3. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    MLS teams always release their USA U-20s. Look at RSL releasing no less than 4 players from a team that needs them. MLS clubs support our youth national teams without exception. If they didn't, our U-20 team would just be a B team every time and would probably fail more often than not in CONCACAF qualifying. As we have seen with EPB, the U-20 WC remains a very good opportunity for US players to be scouted, so I don't think it should just be dismissed as unimportant or a distraction, especially by those who want to see more players at high-level clubs.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    MLS and USSF usually have a deal where US Soccer can get players if they are healthy. It happened with the last qualifiers where TnT complained that MLS teams let their USMNT players go early but refused the TnT NT players. It's how US Soccer has scheduled MLS only NT games outside the window.

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My comments in the SKC forum are that I wish we'd had a chance to see him this year with SKC, and it's shame to see him leave as he's ready to go. If you go back, I found the timing disappointing from an SKC perspective, because he looked as if he might be breaking through when he was called over to the Us.
    SKC developed EPB. He wanted to try his hand in Europe, they arranged the Porto loan. And they didn't view him as a player to sold and profited on, but as someone to be treated with respect.
    The club has done well by him. Right now, Opara and Besler are playing very well, and that was the case when EPB returned from the U Qs. No manager sits a performing CB combo (the defense is among if not the best in MLS right now).
    I would have liked to see EPB get time with SKC, but to say he should be playing this year ignores the reality of the game. SKC did not treat EPB as if they were in a rush. They took their time, and their approach has worked out.
    And yes, Vermes makes mistake. but he has seen a lot of EPB through the years.

6. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    #1381 ckajMonet, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Its baffling that someone could watch EPB play and think Vermes is not making a poor decision not letting him play a single minute for SKC. EPB & CCV were two of the best centerbacks in the U-20 WC with many non American publications noting just how good Erik was in particular. The fact that it's actually CCV and not Erik who's gotten some first team minutes despite playing in a vastly more competitive league and for a team that has what many consider the best CB pairing in the EPL and has already been promised more minutes next season by his coach tells you so much. Vermes is a dinosaur and MLS in general has a poor track record with youth. Contrast this with Ajax who played basically a U-23 team in the Europa final and it's hard not to be frustrated

7. abelgeri

abelgeri Member

Aug 26, 2015
    #1382 abelgeri, Jun 17, 2017
    Obviously this is my opinion but to me EPB is a microcosm of a glaring issue in regards to youth development in MLS. For most teams in the world (besides the top 30ish clubs) EPB is a starter and would have been playing for a couple years at this point. 99.9% of clubs throughout the world use players like EPB as the lifeblood of the club/organization. Two years ago, yea sure Besler was a better player than EPB. However, EPB's potential to be vastly superior to Besler was already readily apparent. Clubs throughout the world would have taken the small hit in the short term to realize the long term financial gains of developing a potentially world class talent.

You're telling me that for a variety of reasons EPB is on an ideal development path and there's a reason he hasn't become a starter in a league like MLS? That's absolutely rubbish but we're all entitled to opinions I guess.

MLS has failed EPB and will continue to fail young players unless they are fortunate enough to play for progressive clubs like NYRB and FC Dallas. I can only imagine the laughter of Sargent's agent when he came to find out that SKC had acquired his rights. The lesson here is don't sign with MLS and go abroad when you're 18.

I would bet a lot of money that Pulisic would not be starting on over half of the teams in MLS right now.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why are clubs reluctant to rotate their centerbacks? it seems even the 3rd string keeper gets more PT than another CB (unless 1 of the 2 starters are injured)

9. abelgeri

abelgeri Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Just want to expand a little bit on some more thoughts I’ve had since posting what you see above.

As many players have said when they join MLS, it is one of the few soccer leagues throughout the world where any team can win any game. In the United States, parity is a point of pride when it comes to professional sports. If you don’t have parity, you are thought to be a “lesser” league and revenue will suffer (see NBA and the cries of parity leading up to the NBA finals). For every team in MLS, winning is by far the most important thing I would venture to say (excluding financials).

So, MLS is one of the few leagues where every team feels like they have a realistic chance to “win it all”. Is this what hurts the US when it comes to youth development and players like EPB? I think results have shown that the best clubs see the benefit of having a balance between developing youth players and winning but unfortunately it seems like the vast majority of clubs focus exclusively on winning.

Coaches and clubs that have short-sighted goals/agendas of simply winning the next game fail to see the long term benefits of developing players.

12 (TWELVE!) teams make the playoffs. It’s a damn shame this is even an issue and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

sXeWesley and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem to be talking about the development aspect rather than the business side and the ROI for developing him.

Sure KC gets credit for developing an elite U20 CB in the global scene. That's not the issue many have a problem with. The issue is more there's no real argument an elite U20 CB on the global scene should not have fairly regular mins in an arguably sub top 20 league nor that the business angle wasn't severely mishandled if they don't come out with at least a 5-10M sale off him as an asset.

It's business 101, how valuable is your asset and what can you get in return for it. If you get nothing, you failed. If you get ~2M, Tim Ream money, you still failed.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's a KC kid. When they brought him into the professional club they made it clear they were working for his best short and long term interests. Here's a business strategy: convincing other high level players that SKC is worth joining. they do a good job, an elite job and can devo elite players. They have examples of players from the club playing with the senior team. They have the USL team, and they won't stand in your way, etc. There is value beyond a couple million bucks in that.
    Thinking EPB is the last player you'll see at his level is short term. Right now they've got money, they need more top level youth talent.
    Also, can we stop with the notion that U-20 stardom means more than you get offers. I love Caskey, but being dominant in a U tourney, winning the thing even, did not spell great levels of professional success. MLS is a much tougher level to succeed at that U-20. Ajax is a step up from that.
    I hope EPB has great success, wherever.

12. abelgeri

abelgeri Member

Aug 26, 2015
    I'm not sure if this post was meant to be satirical but in case it wasn't, I bolded what seemed to be the most outlandish statement. SKC needs more top level youth talent? What top youth level talent will ever go to SKC again after EPB? Every competent agent will steer their clients clear of SKC (at least as long as Vermes is manager).

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1388 ussoccer97531, Jun 17, 2017
    Its unrealistic to blame NT call ups though. These aren't nothing friendlies, its qualifying and the actual WC. So while I'd like MLS teams to deny these call ups to help these players chances for PT, I don't remember an MLS team ever doing so for a youth tournament. Other teams have worked around this to find Adams, Lennon, Saucedo, Redding, etc playing time.

I think its wrong to think he has always had a "I want to try my hand in Europe." over playing in MLS. I think he wanted out of SKC because he was going to start last year with the reserves. I've not actually seen anything stating he would've preferred Porto B over regular MLS playing time. And also, I'm not arguing how Besler-Opara have done, but Opara was a complete ? coming into the season, and if SKC really wanted to keep Palmer-Brown, I don't think it would be impossible, they would just have to find starters minutes for him. He's capable of playing two positions very well.

sXeWesley repped this.
  14. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It's your last point that matters and why SKC screwed up. Twelve teams make the playoffs and SKC couldn't find game time for the best prospect in their setup? Couldn't find minutes for arguably the best American prospect right now?

Mauricio Pochettino found minutes for CCV while competing to win the EPL. He has arguably the best center back pairing in the world in Alderweireld and Vertongen and yet he didn't forget that one of the stars at Spurs Academy needed to be exposed to the level of the EPL. He, and the entire Spurs team that night, played not so good against Liverpool in the cup. It happens, especially against one of the better attacking teams in Europe. That could have banished him back to the U23s but it didn't. He kept training with the 1st team and got his chance in the FA Cup as well. That's what good coaches do. They challenge their players and give them opportunities to succeed. CCV is part of the reason Kevin Wimmer, a decent former Bundesliga CB, will be sold because he's not better than CCV and keeping him only blocks the younger better talent.

In fact Pochettino went on record and said I didn't do enough. CCV needed to play more and he has promised the young man that starting with their American pre-season tour later this summer. The idea that there aren't minutes at SKC available is laughable. But then again this is a head coach who uses the same lineup over and over and doesn't even bother to use all this subs sometimes. God forbid the man actually do his job and manage his team beyond the starting 11.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd surmise they failed at that.

They developed an elite player they refuse to play. If I'm Sargent, there's no way I consider SKC after the EPB situation and if I'm a young prospect, I have far more confidence in a team like FCD which is currently ushering youth into the 1st team almost ASAP.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because he's leaving as an accomplished player? Because they arranged a Porto loan when he wanted to play in Europe (the selfish move was to give him half a season with Swope Park and see what happened. they could have made it a half year deal).
    To the extent that players are developed (meaning it has to be there in the first place) EPB is the player he is today as an SKC product. SKC did right by him. Vermes did right by him.
    He is leaving. That happens. Your post doesn't seem to get what players want from development (Reach potential).

Kagler24 repped this.
  17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree on Opara, and go back and look at the preseason SKC stuff and there was a lot of concern about him and lot of hope that we'd get to see EPB play, Then he left and it was pretty clear it was over, and that this is what was going to happen, he'd leave.
    But this was his year to make it at SKC, this is when he was ready. Last year he just needed to play, a lot. That would have been fine at Swope park or porto b, it doesn't matter much.
    I will make one point, but it's a point that very few agree with me on: It was not the real WC. It's a useless kid version. I don't have much time for full senior footie, and think it has to be cut way back. The U stuff is best left to kids without club prospects.

18. abelgeri

abelgeri Member

Aug 26, 2015
    I don't even want to take the time to respond to you because I disagree with just about everything you've said (not saying you're wrong but it's a matter of opinion) so I'll keep it short. By your logic, Christian Pulisic is the player he is today because of BvB.

I would argue EPB would be the same if not a better player than he is today if he were with a plethora of other clubs including those in MLS. If EPB had grown up in St. Louis or Florida or Texas you don't think he would be at his current level? SKC essentially won the lottery in the sense that EPB grew up in their backyard. SKC didn't make EPB.

19. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hes been there since he was like 12, so I think SKC gets some credit. After all, they couldve buried him in their youth teams after it became clear he wouldnt resign, like Fulham did to Hyndman for a full year. Instead SKC loaned him to one of the best teams in the World at developing talent, mainly because EPB wanted to do it from what I read, and SKC obliged in a big way with Porto. SKC may not get the financial rewards they should, and that is a problem for MLS and SKC for sure. But the idea that they have hindered a player deciding between Ajax, PSV and PSG for his next club is a little ridiculous.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Looking great at the U20 level doesn't mean much at the main NT level. But that's why you want them to play with their clubs, so you can see how they play when surrounded by the older guys.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    SKC better play ball and get that $$$$

22. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes no sense and includes some very false statements.

So glad Sargent refuses to sign with these twats.

23. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't apply to SKC. Mainly, because Vermes isn't actually a good manager and they are absolutely garbage when it comes to bringing along young players to a senior level

I have no respect for Vermes or that club.

24. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they get nothing, then they'll have received exactly what they should.

Hell, NYC has achieved as much as SKC in the past 3 years, and we're an expansion club. Vieira has no problem benching Pirlo for Yangel Herrera, but I'm supposed to think Vermes is the hero because he won't play EPB over Ike Opara and Matt ********ing besler? Yeah. Okay.

25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And compare those underachievers to poor but proud NYCFC.

Gorky repped this.