The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #2601 mschofield, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    ? PSV had to offer €393k, which is about GBP 350k. It would be about $480k.

Edit to add:
    Non EU/EEA players need a work permit in order to play professional football in the Netherlands.

The basic principle is that a work permit is only issued if is non-EU/EEA player who is:

• 18 or 19 years old signs a contract with a basic salary of € 197.308,- gross per year;
    • 20 years or older signs a contract with a basic salary of € 394.616,-gross per year.

2. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I would take Option B if it was playing football. If it was to do my job now? Of course option A would be preferable.

KicksNgiggles and adam tash repped this.
  3. 1.5 * avg eredivisie wage 2017/2018 = 1.5 * 278,500=417,750€€=484,590 $$

Gemiddeld eredivisie-inkomen voor seizoen 2017-2018: 278.500 euro ...
    https://www.ed.nl/.../gemiddeld-eredivisie-inkomen-voor-seizoen-2017-2018-278-50...
    27 jun. 2017 - Gemiddeld eredivisie-inkomen voor seizoen 2017-2018: 278.500 euro. EINDHOVEN - Spelers in de eredivisie verdienen komend seizoen gemiddeld 278.500 euro. Met dat gemiddelde rekent althans het UWV bij de vaststelling van de salarissen voor spelers van buiten de Europese Economische Ruimte.

mschofield repped this.
  4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess the ´agent´s page´ i was using was outdated.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In the MLS, the better you are the less you play because somebody might notice.

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same with the USMNT, too.

7. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think that would be a poor "business" decision. A bird in hand and all that. Maybe the kid is all that, but the more time that goes by without him working one has to wonder if he didn't get the deal of a lifetime.

Many posters here talk like, "well if I could play football for a living I would do x," and I think they are lying to themselves. If you play football for a living it becomes a job, and a job is work, and work is hard. Most folks want to make as much as money as they can at their job and very very few people take significantly less money for similar jobs and working conditions.

mschofield and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    There are some of us who simply desire a job that we can love and appreciate regardless of the $$$ so long as we can have respect and joy. but what do I know,

Gacm32 repped this.
  9. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's a little different when your "career" is 10-15 years max.

10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Okay, so I am pretty sure most anybody could learn to enjoy making a trip to the mailbox every week and picking up the pay packet. If you are a decent human being and keep the yard mowed and your house looking good your neighbors will respect you, if you need all that external validation.

Some might prefer to toil away in some shit league on shit pitches for shit wages and knowing they are only as good as this outing. But to each their own I guess.

11. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know that it is all that different though, when the money is multiples of what most make in a lifetime.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    would the last paragraph be applied to US players who remain in MLS?

13. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was actually talking below that level, but I suppose qualitative evaluations are subject to the evaluator. MLS if If understand it correctly MLS has gotten more in line with most "B" level league wages in the last four years. YMMV

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.

14. It's still 2 weeks to the deadline, so still time for a surprise quality move.

But regarding to your remark one can wonder if grabbing the biggest pay for this moment could be detrimental to the long term total earnings.

He secured a guaranteed 4.5 years paycheck. If I go by the numbers mentioned earlier he has secured between 2.5-3.5 million$$.

That's in the bag.

But what if the "path" doesnot work out? Given the fact that ManCity is one of the 10 top spending clubs on transfers and the pressure on getting results is for any coach in charge paramount, not developing/giving prodigies an opportunity to slot in gradually. Just think about the bidding war with Liverpool for a player on the cd spot. Only because Virgil van Dijk had his eyes on Liverpool he ended there. So the message from that is you only come in at that spot if you have proven yourself in fierce competition and battles in matches of quality. The bar for a ManCity cd spot only will go up further more in the next few years.

So where on earth are you going to get a spot in a loan situation that brings you there? You either have to play in the epl and prove yourself in battles with the top 8 clubs (obviously impossible) or you have to be in Europe with a club that plays CL or minimal EL and going far. But all those clubs demand instant performance capability proven by your cv if you're going into the cd slot and no, youth tournements and D2 level matches arenot.

And why would those clubs develop a player, putting worth on him plus paying CFG for the "privilege" to do it, while they can do the same for a player being theirs.

The only reason to pay for a player on loan is when you have a hole to plug immediately, but then your cv comes on the table too. Matt Miazga would in that case be in front of you.

So your situation probably is going to keep you on the paycheck level you signed for.

Let's look at what could have happened if he had chosen the August 2017 offer. Mind you, all the clubs mentioned in relation to EPB in the 2017 saga all had the same American source. Nobody has shown me an insider source from those clubs mentioning the clubs were in the cue. In fact the only non American source mentioned was by me, when I reported the August'17 PSV offer to EPB.

If EPB had accepted that offer, he would have a contract for 2 years with a salary of around 480,000$$ a year. He most likely would replace Obispo in the Young PSV squad, who was on his way to the 1st team. Many in here would start moaning about how terrible that would be, playing in the Dutch D2 level.

Yeah, right. Per Schuurs, the youngest ever captain in our pro soccer history of Fortuna was scouted by big clubs like Liverpool, Bayern, Borrussia etc. He chose to stay in the NL and signed a pre contract with Ajax.

EPB would have gotten the opportunity to prepare himself for the first team with a club that has the drive to get him to that level, because it benefits the club, both in financial terms and in having a player in line to step up to the plate when the current crew moves on (what will happen soon).

His outlook would be much better and he hardly would have any fnancial fall out at all.

Let's look at what happens if you play well in a cd spot in a Dutch top club.

Feyenoord's defense was battered by injuries, so much we had to place a midfielder, Peruvian international Tapia, on the cd spot.

It surprised Peru fans he did well in that spot:

feyenoordsoccerfan said:

Tapia made it into the team of the week of "de Telegraaf Telesport".

Dominican Lou said:

I, for one, am pretty shocked.

Whenever he got put as central defender at Twente and even with the Peruvian youth teams he was pretty poor.

He also was voted in the best 11 of December ‘17

Then he appeared on the radar of clubs for that spot:

Olympique Marseille seems to have Renato as a target, after his performances in the defense.
    http://www.footmercato.net/flash-mercato/info-fm-l-om-surveille-renato-tapia_217995
    http://www.voetbal4u.com/2018/01/14/toptransfer-marseille-biedt-tien-miljoen-voor-feyenoorder/

So playing in the cd spot for a Dutch club in the CL gets you noticed, even if the club itself was underwhelming in the group.
    Getting noticed by top league clubs also means at least double your pay.
    So how much is that check in the bag still a lure?

This is my analysis and without a doubt some fanboys are going to be very upset, but it is based on facts, not wishfull thinking.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I thought I was in the Freddy Adu Catch All thread for a moment.

Winoman, y-lee-coyote and TheFalseNine repped this.
  16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, but City seems to just be stockpiling talent. If he does well on loan, he could very easily be sold. It's what happened to Aaron Mooy. The expectation was that he was going to go on loan to begin with. He just chose to get a bigger paycheck upfront.

IMO, the argument is how motivated will the team he gets loaned to be to help him get to the next level. The comparison seems to be if he went to PSV, got paid less vs going to FC Twente (hypothetical) on loan and got paid better. What he does at the dutch club and how much playing time he gets will be the bigger factor on where he moves next. If he goes on back to City as a first team player, he likely gets a pay bump.

The risk he is taking is hoping that whatever club he goes on loan to values him as a player to give him playing time / time to develop when they get nothing from him other than being a talented warm body. Is that risk worth the money he gained?

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a US fan and I don't feel that way.

In fact, I'm pretty much completely against signing with a Prem club until you're proven in a quality league beforehand.

Pulisic moving to one of the biggest clubs is one thing. He's a proven commodity. For most others moving to a club at the highest level you can get playing time should be the priority. For EPB given his age and pedigree I'd have advised him to look towards the continent. Belgium. Holland. France. Germany. That he was/is a free agent makes this even crazier. That he doesn't even qualify for a WP as Cameron, Yedlin and Miazga did adds yet another level of crazy.

18. Got a trick question for the lot of you. If you are sent away by a Dutch top club as being wanting in quality as a 21 year old, how high do you rate the odds you become a defender in one of the epl top 5 clubs?

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Tedesco was going to try out McKennie at CB because he is worried about depth there with 2nd half of season getting started and Schalke in CL contention on present position in table.

EPP is a better CB than McKennie. Duh.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, we actually can´t know this, can we? Has McKennie ever played the position? He might be a natural.
    More on point, he has right now what EPB needs, a manager who believes in him and wants to get him on the field however he can.
    Well, that and a club...

21. You're being mean..;)

22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell. His agent needs to give Juventus a call. He's a free agent right?

23. If he really signed in septembre with ManCity, he isnot.
    What's being referred to as a pre contract is a contract, nothing more, nothing less.
    Every contract you sign is a pre contract, as you never can sign after the date it is supposed to kick in. That would be fraud.

Gacm32, TarHeels17 and mschofield repped this.
  24. Central defenders at Juve:
    Italian nat team player:
    Giorgio Chiellini - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgio_Chiellini
    Vertaal deze pagina
    Giorgio Chiellini is an Italian professional footballer who plays as a defender for Serie A club Juventus and formerly the Italian national team. A physically strong, aggressive, and versatile defender, although he is usually deployed as a centre-back, he is also capable of playing as a left-back, both in a three or four-man ...
    Daniele Rugani (Italian pronunciation: [daˈnjɛːle ru:gani]; born 29 July 1994) is an Italian footballer who plays as a centre back for Serie A club Juventus and the Italy national team. He began his professional club career with Empoli in Serie B in 2013, where he immediately helped the club achieve Serie A promotion, and was named the 2014 Serie B Footballer of the Year. His defensive performances the following season saw him named to the 2015 Serie A Team of the Year, and earned him a transfer to Juventus, where he immediately won the Serie A title during his first season with the club. At international level, he has represented the Italy national under-21 football team at the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championship, and made his senior debut for Italy in 2016.
    Andrea Barzagli - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Barzagli
    Vertaal deze pagina
    Andrea Barzagli, Ufficiale OMRI is an Italian professional footballer who plays as a centre-back for Italian club Juventus and formerly the Italian national team. A four-time member of the Serie A Team of the Year, Barzagli is regarded as one of the best and most consistent defenders of his generation. After playing for several ...

Moroccan international:
    Medhi Benatia - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medhi_Benatia
    Vertaal deze pagina
    Medhi Amine El Mouttaqi Benatia is a Moroccan footballer who plays for Italian club Juventus, and for the Morocco national team, as a centre back. He began his career at Marseille, spending his time loaned out to Tours and Lorient before joining Clermont in 2008. Two years later he joined Udinese, spending three ...

German international:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedikt_Höwedes
    Vertaal deze pagina
    Benedikt "Benni" Höwedes is a German professional footballer who plays as a defender for Italian club Juventus, on loan from Schalke 04, and the Germany national football team. At international level, Höwedes won the World Cup with Germany in 2014, and was one of only three players to play every single minute of the

What is the benefit for EPB to go to a club that has this bunch of internationals available for the CD spots?