The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he talking about Porter? I remember Porter thinking he was better in a more advanced positon (LAM).

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...k-darlington-nagbe-showing-his-quality-atlutd

Earlier in the month, Nagbe was quick to let the media know that although it may seem to be simple for him at this point, it’s taken quite a while to get used to Atlanta’s pressing style.

“The way that we play, being on the ball and wanting to be on the front foot the whole time and play attacking soccer, it’s been great," Nagbe said. "I think initially I was just a little hesitant to go right for it and start pressing, but Gerardo [Martino, Atlanta's head coach], the coaching staff and my teammates have done a good job with me and have gotten me more accustomed to it.”

Yeah I thought the same too, which made the above quote interesting to me...whatever he case, Porter didn't seem to get the best out of Nagbe, whatever he was telling him and thinking of him.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Having someone play in an advanced position is different from trusting in someone to advance from any position.

Eighteen Alpha and The Irish Rover repped this.
  4. That's not the task of a NT coach. It's the task of a player's club coach, like Dick Advokaat handled Jozy at AZ by telling him what he expected from him as a striker, pointing him where he still falls short.

5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Black Ops, my friend

:cool::cool::cool:

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who decided this?? this is necessary for american players at the international level and with clubs (i dont think club coaches are doing a good of this for american players, by the way...especially in MLS)

...the american system is different with different challenges than in EU....this is something that needs to be done for USMNT....whether that should be the case or not doesnt change its necessity.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/palmer-brown-we-re-here-to-play-good-football

Player Spotlight
    Palmer-Brown: "we're here to play good football"
    On loan at Kortrijk, Manchester City's Erik Palmer-Brown is part of a rising generation that believes it can help the national team reverse course and bring it to a global standard. The first step will be his debut - likely in the upcoming friendlies against Bolivia, Ireland, and France.

8. LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    any site or metric on his performances during the loan?

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    FIFA set the schedule. National team managers don't get enough time with their players to do anything beyond the most basic tactical training. When would provide in depth tactical breakdowns, and of what? After the game on Saturday, before the one on Tuesday or Wednesday? After the Wed game, the players are gone.
    National team duty is not made for anything in detail. IMO, that's why it's so consistently poor.

ChrisSSBB and The Irish Rover repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd kinda hope he can return to that club for next season. Consistency is key. Rather than City flinging him anywhere just to get PT.

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah, but returning to Kortrijk ain't necessarily what he needs. If a better side where he still has a realistic shot at getting 180-200 minutes every three games takes him on loan for the whole season, that's still in his interests.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You saying he's too good for them or their playing style doesn't suit him?

14. He's at an age he needs regular playing time to develop. Practice is the best tutor, especially if sidekicked by a staff with intent to eradicate flaws.

mschofield and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Dunno about their playing style, and I doubt he's too good for them already. I'm just saying that a marginal club in Belgium ain't what he needs at the moment. The sweet spot is where he has to fight for PT, but if he performs to his maximum he has a real chance of getting serious minutes in a league that's beyond his comfort level. A season-long loan at a Belgian championship playoff group club that's a bit light in the CB and CDM department would be ideal IMO.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. NAC Breda is getting light as many players are on the move. Even better they hired the Excelsior coach, who's a great guy that has coaching skills EPB would profit much from.

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I also think that what we've seen from CFG is that they really don't intend to move most of their purchases into the first team, but do hope to make a bit of cash by selling them on. He's played in Belgium, so the market that would make a buy from someone at Belgian league level has seen him play (for instance, MLS;)). A loan in Holland is always a positive thing for upping value and visibility.

Sup Bro and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Good point. Lower-Eredivisie clubs would be another good level for him. Similar standard of play, and both leagues prioritize ball-playing in their CBs - ask Matt Miazga - and the tactical nous of the Dutch coaches is very high.

Gacm32, LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think even now the Eredivisie is a better launching pad than the Championship. So I rather have him playing against Miazga than against CCV.

Gacm32 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how do you guys rate EPM against the likes of Miazga and CCV? Are they near or far off the form of say a Brooks?

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    EPB did fine in the friendly, earned starts in Kortrijk by showing well enough in his sub minutes, and IMO must be right behind Matt & the injury-prone JAB at this point. Although Zimmerman also did well, but he's a bit older and lacks the Euro fairy dust.

CCV should be on the field in the coming friendlies. Then we'll know more.

PS: Add Polster and Glad, and Ream (whom I don't rate, and should be on the way out anyway due to his age), and we have a lot of CBs waiting to get ranked (i.e., play more minutes with the NT).

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    WhileJAB finsihed the season on the field, I thought he looked really fragile in the relegation matches.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'll have to check out Polster and Glad as well as Zimmerman.

24. Update on PSV transfer actions this summer.
    According to the PSV watcher PSV is busy with building up the team from the back first.
    The Heerenveen player Denzel Dumfries (known from the balls incident with Miazga) and ManCity player Jose Angeliño buys seem almost a done deal. They already signed Ajax player Viergever. With the insertion of the youth team player Obispo, PSV is considering to be positive about Nicolas Isimat-Mirin's wish to move on for at least a price of 6 million.
    No mentioning of Erik....yet.

25. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you updating us with PSV transfer news? Let it go man.