The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Don't worry that is common in YA. Don't let that stop you from speculating wildly.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Jupiler is easier to watch in the USA through FuboTV.

Here in Canada the only way is through streams.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all noticed that there are a bunch of up and coming centerbacks but what sets EPB apart is is one of the quicker types and would partner well with all the other bigger less mobile types like Brooks, Miazga and CCV. Haven't made up my mind on Glad but he seems to be maybe in between.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Miazga covers a lot of ground, so he's very mobile. He's not very agile, as in turning on a dime chasing a dribbler, though.

5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, ideally they wouldn't be two bigger, slower galoots, who can't relieve pressure on the ball. The NYRB pair is interesting. Parker is an in-betweener too, and Long might actually be both big while tracking well but don't think he's smooth on the ball. Ideally a different pairing works out to free EPB to have more of an impact in midfield, but we'll see where he's needed more in time.

I'd like to see 6 of these guys - Miazga, Brooks, EPB, Glad, Parker, Long; in the next 3-game camp, and see if we can finally separate the wheat from the chaff.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    download.jpg

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga seems to be a younger Hedges with more upside because of he started earlier and moved to more taxing trajectory.

8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hedges is a lot slower than miazga

eainterplay and KicksNgiggles repped this.
  9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to gauge Hedges speed. He rarely gets beat just for pace but a lot of the is anticipation, positioning and long legs. I do agree he's not fast but he's not glacial either.

EricSunRa repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what happened to him and Zimmerman. I thought they were gonna get opportunities in late '16 or early 17. Might even move abroad.

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hedges is an oaf. Miazga has some silk to him.

KicksNgiggles and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some minnow team in the last gold cup had a player that ran past hedges and made him look like he was 80 years old...it was embarassing.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    1-1 in the 75’ but beyond that no idea who scored etc.

Winoman repped this.
  16. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    En
    ended 1-1 in the first leg on KV hometurf so presumably not a great result but not bad.

17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the part that stands out to me:

"Someone (from Manchester City) was here tonight (after the Lierse game) and also after the last game. It depends. There are many people on staff. They come, they let you know. You talk to them and they keep in contact over messaging," said the former US Under-20 national team captain.

"I talk with them about my football, my play and look over the games and see what I can do better. After every game, they send the clips; what you did well, what you did badly. I look them over and they get back to you. The coach will talk to you. It's unbelievable."

I get the sense that this type of feedback is something that he hadn't been getting from MLS/USMNT.

This type of feedback should be standard practice for professional/international soccer, right??

Or is he just saying it's unbelievable that such a big club like Man City is so heavily invested in his progress?

(If he wasn't getting this type of detailed and focused feedback in MLS/USMNT, no wonder MLS' track record of developing young standouts is so pathetic.)

18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yea most of us initially thought against the routes both of these guys took, but it’s working so far, especially for Miazga.

I don’t think Miazga could have had a better path considering his competition when he first arrived.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga is about 22X more comfortable with the ball at his feet and about 7X more athletic.

adam tash, TxEx and Patrick167 repped this.
  20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

This is how MLS develop young talents.

Run, Kick, Jump....good

NEXT

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I believe that guy was a part-time fisherman for non-FIFA Martinique.

I feel as if I haven't seen EPB play since South Korea. I'd like to see him get a bunch of minutes in these upcoming Friendlies.

I wonder if Robinson, Wright, and CCV get constant feedback on their loans. Seems like ManCity and Chelsea have set these huge loan armies up as arbitrage plays and the personal coaching is part of the process.

22. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Truthfully only the mega clubs can afford the extra video coaches, scouts, and secondary coaches who have the time to break down that video and give feedback to their loan armies. MLS just doesn't have the budget for that. Hell most non-rich clubs like Everton don't even have the money for that. There's a reason young players join those teams beyond just wages. For all its many faults the way Chelsea handles its loan army is a substantial net positive for the club and the players it purchases and eventually sells.

At worst they're going to double what they bought Miazga for, not even including loan fees, and he's a vastly better player for his two seasons at Vitesse. He'll probably never make it at Chelsea, who cares, because he's made it way farther than he would have had he stayed in MLS. EPB is going to do the exact same thing. Man City is the 2% pipe dream. As long as he stays healthy and keeps progressing there are going to be a ton of good to great clubs who will want him by the time he's 24.

adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3049 adam tash, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Forget players on loan for a sec....Do Arena, JK, Peter Vermes, Sarachan, Richie Williams, Tab Ramos, etc do this type of thing for their regular players.....??? If so, are they doing it well? (unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any way other than results and overall trend of the team long-term to hold coaches accountable for this type of thing b/c it is so private)

Remember how Arena felt forced to use all of JK;'s regular guys even with months of prep time for WCQ's b/c there wasnt enough "time to bring new players in"

I've often wondered when watching USMNT/MLS if players get micro-analysis and instruction on their decision-making process on the field because I've felt it is the single-biggest weakness of US-eligible players have(and also an entirely improvable skill/aptitude)....they're generally horrible at the split-second decision-making that all of the best players in the world are great at. (which is frustrating b/c it seems so fixable)

Questions like this make it so hard to watch games as a fan and make honest assessments of players...and i think why players and coaches seem to be generally dismissive of outside assessments of their play. We never know what directions coaches have given players and how that impacts their play (and that's the way they want it - for multiple reasons).

Recently, Nagbe came out with a quote describing the newfound freedom he had under Tata to move forward freely into attack as if his previous coaches had never given him such license before - which hinted at Porter, Arena and JK all being very conservative in how they allowed him to play the game, for example.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol triggered much?

Dirt McGirt, bballshawn and adam tash repped this.