The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. These play off matches are about which club is going into the EL.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Belgian League has 16 teams. The Top 6 go to play for the Championship, the direct Champions tickets (Champ to group stage, second to the last qualifying round), the direct Europa tickets (#3 to group, #4 to third QR) and #5 to the Europa playoff final for a right to go to the second QR of the Europa League.

The other 10 teams, the very last one is relegated, the other 9 are mixed with the Top 3 from the second division, split in two groups of six, and the winners of those groups play each other (Europa playoff semifinal) for the right to play the #5 from the top group.

Right now, Kortrijk is second in the bottom group A, and looks unlikely to catch the leaders, Waregem, and even if they managed that, they'd still need to beat the winner of the bottom group B, then the #5 from the top group. Don't see it happening.

3. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    He must be performing really well in training. They have no incentive to play a loanee, especially one that joined late, in the midst of a EL slot pursuit

There could also be an informal agreement to continue the loan next season

4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Any ideas on his future? Has the club liked the little they've seen of him so far?

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Starts today vs Lierse in Jupiler League - Europa League Group

8. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    2-1 win. Unsure how EPB performed. In their starting xi graphic it's a 4 man backline but post game comment from the coach he says "in the end we are going to play with 3 defenders". Wondering if this means there was a formation change mid-match or if I'm misinterpreting

9. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    edcrocker, Winoman, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It says great things about him and terrible things about Peter Vermes and the management structure at SKC that he's finally getting consistent playing time.

11. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Im watching this game live on TV

12. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    And? How is he doing?

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it? I've heard this sentiment over and over and I don't get it. SKC employed 2017 MLS Defender of the Year in Ike Opara and Mr. Consistency and USMNTer Matt Besler. They form arguably the best partnership in MLS. It seems to have worked out well for SKC and Vermes. What was Vermes suppose to do.....drop one of those guys for a unproven, still developing youngster? No. Vermes did what he had to do for the success of his club. It irks me, too, that EPB couldn't ge matches but at the end of the day Vermes made the right call. The proof is in the success. It's working at well for EPB now and that's the important thing. The kid is super talented and let's hope this is the beginning of continued success and development.

VBCity72, wsmaugham, Dirt McGirt and 2 others repped this.
  14. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    only 20 mins in. Zulte just scored a great goal from 30yards

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #2991 Suyuntuy, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
    EPB not to blame for the goal though. And it's 1-1 now.

Still, Opara-Besler is a better CB pair than this EPB-Kagelmacher pair.

I'm not impressed with the level of play in this Europa League Group.

And Zulte just scored again, missed it while typing here...

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't say great things about MLS and SKC right now, indeed. SKC faded yet again so Vermes should have rotated more, Opara and Besler were unavailable at times when someone else got a start, and EPB could have played destroyer 6. Actually I think that's his best position because he can use his range to allow to cm's in front of him to stay forward, his size for a CB is mediocre, and he can have a mental lapse here or there. I think he's a regular good CB prospect and outstanding CDM prospect. Upper Middle Class Geoff Cameron.

Gacm32, ArsenalMetro and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Let's keep in mind these Europa League groups are basically a playoff for mid-table teams, with all the big guns (Anderlecht, Brugge, Genk, Standard, Gent) missing. So the level of play is, at best, MLS-caliber.

The Irish Rover and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it says anything for or against the league, IMO. I think it says Vermes didn't think EPB fit into his mix. Nothing more. Nothing less. That happens ALL over the world and then said player goes to dfferent team and/or league thrives, developes, rediscovers -- whatever. Now more than ever teens and young players are getting a shot in MLS. It will never be to our liking, though. But that could be said about many leagues around Europe.

That I can agree on 100% I think he's best suited for a #6 and I have often made the Cameron comparison. I just hope for EPB's sake he never gets shoved to a RB position which is a total waste. I am excited about his potential and where he's headed. I just quite haven't figured out his ceiling. We have a good pipeline of players coming up and kids of EPB's talent are going to have to prove it. Competition is good and it will be fierce.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are half right.

20. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    When do we get to stop hearing about Peter Vermes and SKC? EPB has moved on. We should too.

21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Next season.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anyone who says that a particular roster move or lineup choice by a team reflects poorly on the league is living in a bygone era.

onefineesq and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Never.

If he succeeds in Belgium or wherever he goes on loan next season, it'll be "how could Vermes not see EPB's qualities; MLS sucks. Ya boo." If he fails, it'll be "he never succeeded because Vermes wouldn't break up his trophy-winning CB parnership to fulfill his real role of developing MNT prospects. Who gives a flying fiddler's f*%k about shit like winning trophies!"

The whole argument is Agudelo all over again, except that only a handfull of Bronies lost their critical faculties over Agudelo. A lot of people have lost theirs in this whole EPB saga. Many young players have broken through from worse situations than EPB; many have washed out completely from better situations. It's a crapshoot. Let's see where things take the lad and let's root for him while doing so. Vermes and SKC are ancient history in footballing terms

24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that a more creative coach would have found a way to get him on the field.