The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okely dokely Flanders: Eric Palmer-Brown at KV Kortijk

2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are missing an R in your title.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what's the 411 on the club and the location of the city? I've only passed through Belgium

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rijt you are

5. What?:confused: I can't make jokes about the rest of BS posters?:(

Winoman and bungadiri repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ^this

mschofield repped this.
  7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the 3 that are dumber than you*, no, because that would be mean.

*That includes me, @dark knight , and @Ismitje

Winoman repped this.
  8. :D

9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Would a comment on the word choice of deviant be considered OT? Of course the fact that word caught my attention out of your entire post may say more about me than it does about your word choices.

Peas in a pod and all that...

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for asking. Comment away! If the conversation gets too long we can always go to Private Messages. Or you can start there, if you prefer. Whatever makes sense to you.

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When's he going to start playing for this team, eh? IIRC, he's already like 3rd choice CB or perhaps better (because a DM plays CB currently), so hopefully he can get some gametime soon...

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he's in shape. Maybe at the end of the month.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won 4-0 today, so ...

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just because this is the sort of thing we do on here, and not suggesting you are at all starting or taking part in the whining conspiracy comments that almost certainly will come, i would note that while EPB would appear to have a open path to game time, he is a young center back who arrived without a traiing camp and is coming into a team that of late has been doing better than they had been. The two guys starting ahead of him were both young next things themselves 8-10 years ago, so they do have talent, even if it is in decline. While one has a preferred position of defensive mid, he's a 32 year old pro who will be fighting to prove he is both worth this contract and can prolong his career. As long as they win, and they kept a clean sheet this weekend, he's in for a fight.
    Getting on the field in these circs will be a significant accomplishment for EPB. When he does it, it will be impressive. Until then, there is nothing unusual in his place in the squad right now.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    TBH, getting loaned for six months to a team with an established CB pair doesn't look like a great development option.

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Calm, measured, with a sense of perspective and an eye on reasonable expectations.

You must be new around here.:D

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My message was as much to me as anyone, I do expect him to be the next Thuram, but with goals in him ...

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He has 14 games to get minutes:

- 4 league games
    - 10 Europa play-off games

If they top their play-off group, they get one more game (vs. the top team in the other play-off group).

If they win that one, they get the final play-off game against the team that ends fourth in the Championship play-off.

Kortrijk is out of the Cup already, in semifinals to Genk.

PS: If Kortrijk makes the Championship Playoff (they have a good shot), it's the same: 4 league games, 10 play-off games, and one possible extra game if they finish fourth in that group (see above).

19. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same happened to Miazga. He went to Vitesse with no training camp on the last day of the summer window and he was able to break through fairly quickly.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Miazga was also a hell of a lot more accomplished than EPB. He had more than triple the minutes of first-team league play in the season before his move. Quadruple if you include playoffs.

LouisianaViking07/09 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  21. Yeah, wasnot it mentioned they layed out a great path towards the 1st team?

22. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    and, MM was "helped" with some untimely (or timely depending on your pov) injuries. (and one "nearing the end of his ride LB/CD who was likely to be in the whirlpool now and again at game time.)

But really, most teams don't sign young unproven defenders expecting them to immediatly captain the defense. Anywhere he was going to go worth playing would likely require him to beat a half-way decent player for PT.

It's not a bad thing to have to prove you're better than a couple of journyman Jupiler players. It's kinda of the key to reaching the next level.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And I'd be all for him proving himself in the team to which he's been loaned, except that the loan happened with 14 games left.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep, agree that not ideal. But it's a level that a couple of games might show if he can help a team in one of the more interesting "stepping stone" leagues.