The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely! He's a fine Wienerwurst.

Please continue. 29 Types Of Sausage

Winoman repped this.
  2. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    I don't know yet, but maybe I can learn to like this thread title just a schnitzel.

3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Schnitzel is not equal to little!

That’s an a-boar-ant mistake.

4. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Austria Wien lost the second leg as well, this time 3-1. Their time in Europe was over in a flash.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand there are still some work visa issues getting sorted

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Because he's the wurst.

MtnGardener and Winoman repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Or perhaps he's just being a spoiled brat...

(ouch, these even hurt me.)

9. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Do we ever talk about this guy like....actually playing? It's unbelievable the off-field crap this kid's still young career has been through.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I only got to see him play a small bit last season. Nothing terrible or amazing, but his team was not too exciting and was always on their back foot when I caught them so hard to tell in relative few minutes I saw. If he gets regular time this season on a more competitive team it might be easier to see what he has to offer.

russ repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Who'd have guessed back in 2017 that one of the worst defenders in Korea, Juan Foyth, whose NT didn't make it past group, would be getting minutes with Tottenham two years after, while the best defender in the competition would be hoping to make the bench of FK Austria Wien.

Life is indeed full of surprised.

12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in the calculus of professional soccer success....off-the-field factors, including politics and luck weigh very heavily ....

...some seem to think it comes down to only how "good" a player is as far as how their career goes and where they end up....not I.

comoesa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Found a couple of "all touch" and/or highlight vids on youtube. Here's one from a game v. Groningen. Oddly enough the turnips ended up 8th in the league but had one of the worst GF numbers in the whole league - like 3rd worst or something - so don't take too much from this, but you can see his game - strong in the air, athletic and relatively quick - but doesn't show a ton on the ball here.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This one is v. another fairly anemic attacking side - PEC Zwolle. And Zwolle's top scorer Vito van Cooij doesn't even start. He does come on in the 61st minute - and it is a little bit interesting to see EPB match up with his fresh legs for the last 30 mins. But neither Groningen nor Zwolle have the kind of dynamic attack that you want to read too much into a defender's progress by seeing him play against them.

Winoman repped this.
  15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I believe that water finds its level. There may be odd one-offs but the market is reasonably efficient. YMMV

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    too many stories of african lives strewn across the football landscape....

too many stories about the underhand dealings of outfits like ?? was it traffic??

...and of players like psg's rabiot being kept off the field because he wouldn't sign an extension - even tho the coach wanted him - we only hear this story because it's rabiot.

many find their level, yes. but many also become mere flotsam in the wave of billionaires' dreams.

there are monstrous inefficiencies.

just my mileage.

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Who are the American flotsam? While I can see how something could happen at any specific player/club situation, at some some, it’s on the player. Look at Freddy Adu.....

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Horvath, Gall and Amon are three recent examples off the top of my head who were looking good when they got benched --inexplicably, except in the case of Amon where it may be or it may be not because of injury.

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m not arguing that a player/club dynamic works out each time - there’s plenty of evidence that it doesn’t.

However, over time, a player generally rises to their appropriate level if they’re hard working professionals. Some may have to go to Asia (Nyugen) but water finds its level over a career.

Al three of those players will have the opportunity to move and prove their mettle.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The problem with that is that they're going to need more mental stamina than others, a sort of tax for those coming from a non-sexy soccer country.

comoesa repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I can understand this but we want our players to have strong mental stamina. Quite frankly, I think a chip on our shoulder was a big part of our historic special sauce that let us play better than the sum of our parts.

taylor and Suyuntuy repped this.
  22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Clint Dempsey says hello.

DHC1 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The sausage is on the grill...

24. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

freisland repped this.
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's one way to make an impression...