The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year will be a big one for Erik. He needs to go somewhere where he can prove he's worthy of another step up. 2022 isn't *that* far away when you think about how far he needs his career to move to get back in the picture.

2. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-l...-in-manotas-will-sargent-leave-bremen-on-loan

Erik getting loan interest from Union Berlin. Seems like a good move for him and a step up in quality. Also interest from Osasuna and Heerenveen

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    onefineesq and The Irish Rover repped this.
  4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    a cuspy roundtrip team seems like a good place for a low financial risk high potential reward signing like this

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3881 The Irish Rover, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    That'd be good too, for the reasons @LouisianaViking07/09 laid out. More and better quality pressure that ought to be a more manageable step up than a BL1 side

7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I think the experience of a relegation scrap can be great and formative for a young player but I don't necessarily like the idea of Union Berlin, who may be lambs for the slaughter, or may not be who knows the Bundesliga is fairly open.

TLDR: Relegation battler is one thing/cellar dweller getting crushed every week is another.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's tough for morale. But Erik is merely on loan so he can handle the pressure and know if he does very well, it will be noticed.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I doubt a Bundesliga team could be interested in EPB at this point, after showing he completely belonged in a Dutch relegation fodder.

Wait for more credible sources on the Union Berlin rumor.

10. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Off topic, but Bournmouth dumping EH and dealing Ake may signal the beginning of the end for a team that punched over it's weight in the EPL for a couple of terms.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Besides the newly promoted clubs, the three early faves for relegation next season are Brighton, Newcastle, and The Saints.

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    As soon as they let Emo go they were done, no chance to stay up without his immense contribution.

14. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I should have elaborated. I don't know if they are letting anybody else go or changing direction. I though Ake was good before he went to B'mouth. Maybe making money and cleaning out some...well, changing direction. Let's leave it at that. But thx for jumping on that right away.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Sounds Kray Kray, but let us kids believe in something, please

Suyuntuy repped this.
  16. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dyer's been a reliable source, especially when covering the Red Bulls. All three of Heerenveen, Union, and Osasuna would all seem like good options. I'd prefer whichever one he gets the mosts playing time at.

adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer whichever club projects him to cdm where he has by far the biggest upside and would give him a virtual fresh start as a prospect after he has been marred. That's true even if it means dropping to the 2. Bundesliga with Dresden.

All of Man City, EPB, and his agent should be pushing for this. Disappointed all I hear about are clubs looking to re-circulate him as a CD where he has mediocre size, mental lapses, and good but sub-elite distribution. Any see the u20 CCAFship?

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Or eventually make of him a #8 in true Yank tradition: "if you suck at defending and are toothless in attack, let's make of you a #8."

bballshawn repped this.
  19. Well, one ManCity loan going through NAC made it back to ManCity.
    Angelino was bought by PSV and now Angelino is bought back by ManCity.

20. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Aka the darlington nagbe

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll disagree with you because I don't think he's smooth enough on the ball for that role, and I think he was able to compensate in the CONCACAF U20s because of his athleticism.

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Union signed Subotic for 2 years. It does decrease the chances he's going there.

23. NAC has another MO. No loanies from ManCity.
    Sign English talents that are fed up with not getting chances in the epl.
    Joshua Bohui refused to sign a contract with Manchester United and almost certainly joins NAC on a free transfer. Yet another English kid choosing to jump the Channel.

24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subotic looked done at BVB ...will be surprised if he makes a meaningful contribution for Union Berlin.