The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I laughed so hard, I spilled my coffee.

Thank God I wasn't holding a beer mug ;)

LouisianaViking07/09 and m vann repped this.
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't go blaming me! Good thing you didn't have a beer mug. If you had spilled beer well....... there's a special place for you blasphemous people...... :D ;)

3. Who were complaining?

4. Vincent Kompany left ManCity, so there's a spot open.

5. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    @TarHeels17 said there were people saying he only got the gig because of his agent and I took that to mean he wasn't worthy of a Barca B contract and couldn't possibly understand why anyone would be upset at a B contract. Yeah it's Barca and he'll be hella scouted but honestly most players leave there and go on to different teams in different leagues and who cares.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So what's up with this Juventus rumor? At this point EPB is looking like a case study for wrong career moves

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He's at least not injury prone and he plays a good deal of the time.

8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    meh, he played sporadically at SKC and played the tail end of the dutch season. Seems to gravitate towards uncertainty and big club moves

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Don't think Juventus is the answer, but he played 18 games for NAC last year.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he was still with the first team. He rode the bench a lot. It's not as if he was so terrible that the club wanted to dump him. Folks want to abandon ship on him despite he being 22 and still having potential.

11. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well I still think he and Richards have the highest potential, but he needs to find stability

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did at the start of 2019.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The point is, he's 22 and still looking for his pro breakthough - a full season's worth of games anywhere.

He's got ability, otherwise Juve, Porto and Citeh wouldn't have made offers, but if he's to live up to even the more reasonable expectations that kind of interest generates (transfer to the likes of Watford, Hertha or Bordeaux at 25), a 22 year old would need to have got 18 games with the likes of AZ or Utrecht last season, not the Eredivisie's most chaotic team.

Potential isn't a word that should be used in relation to him any more. It's all about performances now.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, seems he could use a season of stability on a decent team in a decent to good league. It is very hard to find your rhythm with that kind of team.

bballshawn and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    They should loan him somewhere. SKC maybe? I've heard their coach is an expert in recovery projects.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He wasn't terrible at Breda, at least not until the last games when the team was falling to pieces anyway. They should be able to find someone in Europe to take him, perhaps some Championship team.

Yanks tend to end up in the Championship anyway, there's a sort of magnetism there.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not gonna qualify for a UK work permit, though.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No, but he wasn't outstanding either and a Champoinship-level side (WP issues mean he won't be going there) would look for consistency with a fair few standout performances at the Eredivisie's worst side. 18 games in a 34-game season isn't that profile

I think it's Holland or Belgium again, and not the EL sides either I'm afraid

19. Well, ManCity would be wise to pay Feyenoord an extra on top of taking care of the salary of Erik to get him into a club for a year managed by former world class defender Jaap Stam.
    We had on loan a CD from a club in the epl to tackle injuries in the defense, Martina, I after two matches would like to have seen the back of him at the exit.
    EPB's agent should get to work and scan the environment for opportunities to solve epb's problem.
    This one I give is one of the best there is.
    Gtf on the phone, man.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Totally OT but wtf with Gio? Where's he going? Haven't seen any news.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Feyenoord? They're are a bit of a mess organisationally, but they're way above Championship level so, with or without Stam, that would be good - if EPB could handle the step up in level, esp on the mental/handling pressure side. And if Van Persie is still around, facing him in training every day would make it worth loaning him for free.

22. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he could catch a ride with kompany to anderlect...

23. Some clickbait sites linked him with Newcastle United...without any reason I know of.

freisland repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Man, I was thinking Yedlin might leave and I could go back to making fun of NUFC, but if Gio's there I hope Yedlin stays... That would be ideal.

25. My nephew's wife, who's from Newcastle and fanatic fan of them ..and of Feyenoord, would be exhilarated if that move would become reality.