Eric Lichaj [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by alky13, Aug 8, 2009.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he'd get low-balled for sure. I'd guess he's making at least 500 K (pounds there). He probably couldn't get more than $200 K if he moves to MLS. Best for him to stay. Another Championship club might give him a look.

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'd get a little piece of a couple million dollar per transfer fee and get paid the same salary or higher than he is now. Look at what Arriola and Bedoya got, and they were arguably less effective at the club level. I mean Lichaj was a club POY. MLS teams are over-paying for U.S. internationals, among others, for marketing purposes, bias, lack of imagination, etc.

Getting visibility at the Gold Cup should provide a little boost for him. Although don't know if he's considered a full-fledged international yet. It's a little bit of a stretch to classify Arriola as one too though.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but Bedoya when he came to the league was in his prime and was a national team stalwart. Arriola is a guy who has been called up regularly, and played, for this and the last coach. He's also an attacking player which generates more excitement. And he's 22. Lichaj has none of these features. Good player to get for most MLS teams, but not gonna aid in marketability. That combination of on-field contribution plus marketability is what gets the really good money--and now that MLS is, to a degree, looking towards selling players on, youth is valuable.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Parkhurst got 325K, but he also had played more with the NT.

5. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    Seattle signed Kevin Leerdam for TAM (that's somewhere between roughly $500K and $1M). Wouldn't Lichaj command a similar salary to Leerdam?

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Lichaj def should be earning no less than 400 K. Maybe even 500 K. But you never know with MLS. I'm sure they would have lowballed Cherundolo had he came home in summer 2012 or 13 for a final swansong.

7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle used TAM to sign him, according to MLSsoccer.com, but it doesn't say that TAM was used for his salary. TAM may have been used to pay a transfer fee to keep his initial cap hit down. His actual salary might very well be $200k (which would still put him in the top 1/3 of earners as a defender).

BeefEater repped this.
  8. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    Good point. I searched for Leerdam's salary to no avail.

9. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't be surprised if he leaves Nottm Forest before the window closes. The manager doesn't seem to rate him.

10. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you get this idea?

11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say not rating,but he is in the last year of his contract,and there is no talk of resigning him.
    So he's likely to be transferred.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Shame as he seems like a true loyal servant to the club.

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of that is the club was almost relegated out of the championship and he stated he'd leave if they did go down I'd wage he's playing a waiting game