Eric Lichaj [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by alky13, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So it's between "it's too hot to play" Chandler or "LB for #21 in the Championship" Lichaj for the Yedlin backup position.

Ouch.

2. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    I thought Lichaj was pretty solid. He was sure of foot, positioning, and defending. There was the one lapse, but that's not concerning unless it becomes a habit.

He's physical and measured, which is something we don't have back there. He passed well in leading attackers into space and playing simple balls to his immediate surrounding players.

IMO, he should get a run out for the rest of the tournament to get a broader look at what he is capable of and where his deficiencies are.

He looked assuredly professional and there is certainly room for that on this team.

3. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Well, this is the USMNT. We're overachievers.

If you want to evaluate your national team based on their European club status and not how they play as a team, you may better enjoy a rooting interest in England. ;)

4. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Isn't he expected to head out after the group stage to join his club for pre-season?

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Horrific beginning then shows better touch and composure in the box than Altidore. Second half was better. He's no world beater,doubtful to be a starter but better than Zusi.

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bit about his touch and composure in the box being better than Altidore made me chuckle, probably because it's a little too close to the mark. He is an average MLS level defender. That's he's been able to garner a fat paycheck for as many years as he has in England is testament to his work rate and athleticism, because he clearly is not a great defender. I think Il Bruce goes with Zusi, along with Besler and Villafana at the back, possibly with Omar for continuity's sake. The back line was at fault for what should have been at least three goals. Granted we lost a lot of balls in the midfield that set the back line up for dangerous counters, but the backline was just atrocious last night. The horrible back pass. The misplayed defense after the attacking corner. The allowance of the ball to bounce on the 6 yard box line in front of Omar. I'm missing others I'm sure. Abysmal.

8. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    I think Lichaj's defensive positioning has mostly been good in the Gold Cup, unlike Zusi, but his passing has been not just poor, but dangerous.

I personally prefer Lichaj, of the two, but fear that Bruce will stick with Zusi for the rest of the tournament.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Lichaj should be on the roster for the WC. If nothing else, he's great for competition for the other fullbacks.

10. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can play both sides,so he has that going for him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    FJohnson can play that position damn well.

13. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension

I think it is more likely he could be second choice. They were looking at bring in a new right back for past year or so. Tendayi Darikwa was just brought in from Burnley and was the starting rightback. sooo....

14. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of weird to replace your reigning player of the year. Not saying it isn't true, just wonder why management would prioritize that.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  16. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have absolutely no idea how you came to this conclusion based on the linked thread. Exactly one poster said he "thinks" Warburton doesn't rate him. The only fair reading of that thread is that the posters in it have absolutely no idea what is going on wrt Lichaj and his situation at the club (which is par for the course for most message boards...).

You really do talk some nonsense here...

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also in his last contract year,so if you don't resign him,best to sell now.

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #443 tomásbernal, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Seriously, Suyuntuy, your statement is ridiculous. I read the whole 2 pages of comments--one guy says he thinks Warburton doesn't rate him. The gist of the thread as I read it is that he's too good to keep around and since there are a number of clubs sniffing around, and he's only got one year left on his contract, that Nottingham will cash in while they can.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Exactly, he has not been renewed. That's the issue, and if you read the gameday thread, they were wondering why he wasn't there and the opinion that Warburton doesn't like him enough was circulated there.

20. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    An MLS move probably wouldn't be the worst thing for him at this point in his career, unless a top 5 league comes calling.

21. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did read the gameday thread, and Lichaj was only mentioned one time:

"Darikwa poor debut looks awkward...not better than lichaj on that showing."

So, between the thread you linked to and the gameday thread only one poster said he "thinks" Warburton doesn't rate him. Again, you really do talk some nonsense here, Suyuntuy.

tomásbernal repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They were talking about it during the game, but of course there are several threads going.

Some of them don't rate Lichaj at all, even that comment you cite, it's not particularly praising.

Now, let's do the logic thing here: if Warburton rated him, why has Lichaj not been renewed?

He's always been loyal to the team, that's the one quality everybody agrees on. He'd have not refused unless he wants to re-sign him for peanuts.

I strongly suspect the new coach is being a jerk to him. And Lichaj deserved to be the Player of the Season for Forest.

23. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #448 iad_22201, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Then why not cite to one of those threads? Because in the thread you linked to earlier and in the 17 page gameday thread there was only one post discussing how Warburton "rated" Eric.

I thought the issue was Warburton's rating of the player (not that of random message board posters)...

He wants too much money or more years than Forest is prepared to offer? He'd actually prefer to move elsewhere (as Forest has a recent history of being a poorly run club)? The new manager may very well not rate him, but it's certainly not the only logical explanation for the current situation.

And again, this exchange began because of your assertion that Forest "fans" claimed they were looking to sell him because Warburton didn't rate him. If you're going to make that statement, you should be able to back it up...

24. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Could it be that he figures this is his one shot to play in the World Cup and could maximize the chances of that happening my moving either to a big 5 league or MLS?

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Kathryn Lichaj 'so proud' of Nottingham Forest defender Eric, after winning the Gold Cup with USA

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/kathryn-lichaj-so-proud-nottingham-283126