PBP: EPL - Manchester United FC vs West Ham United FC - Aug 13, 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

Competition: English Premier League
    Venue: Old Trafford
    Time: 16:00 (BST), 11:00 (EST)
    Channels: Sky Sports Premier League(UK), Sky Sports Main Event(UK), MUTV(UK), NOWTV(UK), NBC Universo(US), NBC Sports Live(US), NBCSN(US), Telemundo Deportes en vivo(US), Telemundo(US), fuboTV(US), Sportsnet World(Canada), Flow Sports Premier(JA)

Manchester United injuries: Shaw (ankle), Young (hamstring), Rojo (knee)
    West Ham injuries: Collins (knock), Cresswell (muscle), Lanzini (knee), Antonio (hamstring), Kouyaté (knee), Feghouli (knock), Sakho (back), Carroll (hip)

Manchester United last 6: L
    West Ham last 6: n/a

Manchester United last result:
    2-1 loss to Real Madrid (UEFA Super Cup)
    West Ham last result: n/a

Manchester United league standing:
    12th
    West Ham league standing: 20th

Last League Encounter:
    0-2 away win at Olympic Stadium (Jan 2017)

Manchester United last starting XI (3-5-2):
    de Gea, Valencia(c), Lindelöf, Smalling, Darmian, Lingard, Herrera, Matić, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Lukaku

West Ham last starting XI (4-2-3-1):
    Hart, Zabaleta, Fonte, Ogbonna, Masuaku, Noble(c), Obiang, Fernandes, Arnautović, Ayew, López

=====================
    and so it begins again. GLAD to have PL football back again.

3 points to start please and none of that home draws bxllshxt. old boy Hernández returns to OT.

let's get to it

jnielsen and b0sk1 repped this.
  2. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    based on pre-season form, this would be our best side at the moment imo. rashford, mkhi and fellaini to come off the bench.

-------------lukaku - martial
    ------------------mata
    -------pogba - matic - herrera
    darmain - jones - bailly - valencia
    ----------------de gea

jeff070 repped this.
  3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Cue Hart having his once a season superman performance...

4. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    we'll help him plenty by shooting straight at him.

5. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Martial---Lukaku----Rashford
    ----------Pogba------AP-----
    ----------Herrera------
    Darmian----Smalling-Bailly--Valencia.

Do not think we need Matic at home against West Ham.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matic needs the games (because of lack of any real preseason), plus he needs to get familiar with his teammates as well. Also, I certainly wouldn't underestimate them either: they had a poor season last term, but they've shown the previous season they can be dangerous. They have plenty of injuries apparently, but still. I'd go with:

Dave
    Valencia. Bailly. Jones. Darmian
    Herrera. Matic. Pogba
    Miki. Lukaku. Martial

7. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know if this will be free to stream on NBC Sports or are the rolling out their new paid subscription service?

8. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would imagine we see Matic-Herrera-Pogba 90% of the time they are available. Jose doest rotate much (to a fault) and he is prolly going to want the defensive qualties that trio can offer. I only expect to see AP if someone is injured. I expect to see Fellaini regularly.

Whether we can offer enough attacking threat through the middle with that trio, or with our (flawed) wide options is another matter.

9. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    he's been our best midfielder in the 2 games he's played.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Smalling was very good vs Madrid. I'd like to see him next to Bailly, I want attacking FBs and Matic sitting. I'd be ok with an unbalanced 433 with Martial on the left staying high and Mkhi playing as a 10ish player from the right with Valencia providing the width on that side.

I think it is vital to have a ball carrier through the middle with Lukaku as it makes the most of his movement and opens up space for Valencia who is our most consistent outlet.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I understand but I dont think Hammers will attack us. That is what I would play not what Mourinho will play.

topnoevili repped this.
  12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's fine if they sit back. Matic is good at winning the ball back high up the pitch for when we want to high press and he can shield the CBs when we send both FBs up the pitch.

13. topnoevili

topnoevili Member

MUFC, Hartford Athletic
    Apr 11, 2006
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Valencia----Smalling-Bailly--Darmian
    Herrera. Matic. Pogba
    Miki. Lukaku. Martial

I like the idea of AP playing at home v WH but can't see Jose starting him this weekend.

Rashford and AP on in the 65' and go for 3/4 if we're up - instead of shutting up shop to cling to a one goal lead for the last 10 minutes. ******** it throw fellaini on as well.

Jose needs to get some swagger back.

14. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Darmian is a poor attacking fullback so I rather we go to 3 in the back when in attack and back 4 in defense, do not think we need a sitter infront of 3 defenders when in ascendancy.

johno repped this.
  15. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, I have Direct TV and the match is scheduled on regular NBC Sports for Sunday morning.

16. topnoevili

topnoevili Member

MUFC, Hartford Athletic
    Apr 11, 2006
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why would anyone attack us at OT?

I don't know about anyone else - but i get flashbacks all the time of post-SAF United just blundering around trying to break down teams in the final third.

This post triggered a 5-10 minute episode.

edit: I think we're better this year and can keep getting better

17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Back 4
    Midfield 3
    Mata
    Lukaku Martial

I think those 3 should start up top because we need goals and finishing. They are the 3 most likely forwards to score for us right now.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd be ok with this particularly if they rotate a bit. I still prefer Mkhi because of his ball carrying, but I won't argue against Mata either.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  19. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think having Pogba and Martial is enough to ball carry in this one.

I like Matas knack for a big goal and ability to find space between the lines. His intelligence should be a nice foil for the others.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I not disagreeing with this. I do think Pogba mainly does his ball carrying n the wing. It makes sense since he is a CM and will only rarely get chances to do it without extreme risk through the middle. Mkhi as a 10, tho is a different story. But u r prolly right, we likely won't miss his ball carrying.

21. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i don't understand your fondness for smalling. he's not a footballer, he's 27 and still doesn't know how to play.
    theoretically, i get what you're saying but i would argue that matic from a deeper position helps us move the ball forward just as much as herrera, if not more. and he also has a v good shooter from distance. imo, we need him regardless of the opponent or formation.

22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Based on preseason form, a guy (Mata) that was hurt and never played in the 10 role in preseason should play there in our first game?

K

23. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I was thinking that we could stand to borrow from Real's setup a bit in games where we will dominate possession. Martial and Lukaku with Mata or Mkhi behind gives us width as well as a link / someone who can step forward into space as it's exposed. It's a lot better at switching into a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-1-2 just by moving the DM and the AM accordingly, and our DM and AM are both tactically strong whoever we play there.

We'd really need a LB who can provide coming forward though, and our midfield needs to rotate way better than they did against Real when the 3 were far too rigid.

We have a lot of potential for different formations in our squad. Regardless of what happens in reality over the next 9 or so months, it's interesting to look at our side right now and try and identify the way we can best line up.

24. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    1-0 to us Fellaini with the winner on 78 mins after coming on for an injured Pogba.

25. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    If AP is on the bench, it is a miracle.

doubletrouble and jnielsen repped this.