PBP: EPL - Manchester United FC vs Liverpool FC - Feb 24, 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG]vs [​IMG]

Competition: English Premier League
    Venue: Old Trafford
    Time: 14:05 (BST), 09:05 (EST)
    Channels: Sky Sports Main Event(UK), Sky Sports Premier League(UK), MUTV(UK), NBCSN(US),NBC Sports Live(US), TSN4(Canada), TSN5(Canada), Flow Sports (JA), SuperSport 3 Africa(Zambia)

Manchester United injuries: Valencia (knock), Darmian (knock), Rojo (knock), Martial (groin), Lingard (ankle),
    Liverpool injuries: Lovren (muscle), Gómez (leg), Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee)

Manchester United last 6: W-D-W-W-L-W
    Liverpool last 6: W-W-D-D-W-D

Manchester United last league result: 0-2 away win at chelsea (FAC)
    Liverpool last league result: 0-0 home draw with Bayern München (UCL)

Manchester United league standing: 4th
    Liverpool league standing: 2nd

Last League Encounter: 1-3 away defeat at Anfield (Dec 2018)

Manchester United last starting XI (4-4-2♦):
    Romero, Young(c), Smalling, Lindelöf, Shaw, Herrera, Matić, Pogba, Mata, Rashford, Lukaku

Liverpool last starting XI (4-3-3):
    Alisson, Alexander Arnold, Matip, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Henderson(c), Keïta, Salah, Firmino, Mané

=====================
    super sunday. let's get it

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the type of game where form goes out the window, but it's good that we're going into this game with a very nice win against a significant opponent under our belt. Can only help morale and confidence wise.
    The absences of both Lingard and Martial, should they hold as expected (despite some reports out there), will be harder to cope with. We still can though.

3. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Van Dijk injured or was he serving a suspension yesterday?

4. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Suspension. Unfortunately.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Oliver will be the head official for this one. Let's hope he will not be card happy unless he absolutely has to. Games vs Pool are always serious business, but I feel this one will have a little more intensity than usual.
    United will want to play spoilers for the race to the title and will be desperate for the win after the result at Anfield earlier this season. Pool's own motivations are clear as well.
    Oliver needs to let both teams play, as much as he can without being overbearing, especially early on.

6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I want Crush our enemy, see them driven before us, and hear the lamentation of the fans!

Amdrag, Anonymous_United and gatekeeper2 repped this.
  7. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And tarred and feathered!

An immense victory if we pull it off, which I really believe us within reach.

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    FFS ! He is never injured. Cmon United! dont loose dont bloody loose.

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Those bums needed two deflections to win 3-1. We can do this. If Martial and Lingard are fit then we go with our first 11, if not then we go with what we put out against Chelsea.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very unlikely, but this is the team I would like to see for Sunday (team if Lingard and Martial are missing as expected):
    -----------Dave
    AY Bailly Lindelöf Shaw
    -----------Matic
    ----Herrera----Pogba
    -------------AP
    -----Rashford--Sanchez

At CB, I picked Bailly because he's more mobile and quicker to react than Smalling is, which is key vs that Pool frontline. Wouldn't be that mad if Smalls got the nod though. Still would have AP in the hole behind the 2 front men for reasons elaborated on prior to the Chelsea game. Mata put in the effort Monday, but the quality was not there unfortunately and it's hard to imagine AP couldn't do more there. We got away with Mata against Chelsea, Pool are a completely different matter with their quickness and mobility all over the place.
    The only other question for me is upfront: Sanchez has done very little as we know to earn a start, but Lukaku himself has hardly been better. Another toss up there and really it's hope at this point that Sanchez's mobility and workrate will finally come to the fore to compliment Rashford up top.

11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Gotta go with Smalling, if fit, against Liverpool. Assuming Lingard and Martial are both out, this:

De Gea
    Young Smalling Lindelof Shaw
    Herrera Matic Pogba
    Lukaku Rashford Sanchez

Ashur's recommendation of going with AP at 10 is interesting and I wouldn't be violently opposed to it and it could even be genius, but it's asking too much of Andreas to stand tall against a very decent Liverpool side.

What Andreas needs is a run of 3-4 matches against manageable opponents to let the pace and power of PL opponents sink into his DNA. Too intense of an opponent such as Liverpool would not be advisable but then again this isn't really a must-win match for us, is it?

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    benni... repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I'd probably risk one but not both. I'd definitely want to win this game if I knew I could get the full-time gig out of it (and ******** up my bitter rivals in the process), but I'd also know it's not a must-win compared to the Arsenal match.

15. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    I think it's posture from Ole to keep Klopp on his toes. I can't see how Lingard'd be fit at least - usually hamstrings are 3 weeks minimum.

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mind games from Ole. At best Martial makes the bench.

17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Hopefully both of you are wrong but practically not possible.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt the players will already be charged up for tomorrow's game. Nonetheless, it will be nice to have a manager equally revved up for it as well. Van Gaal, for all his faults, was the only one post SAF, who really put an emphasis on us winning those big rendez vous. Our record vs Pool in his time at the club is clear and ample proof of that.
    Absolutely no mistake what this game means to Ole.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...unnar-solskjaer-on-man-utds-liverpool-rivalry

19. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    AP would get destroyed by pool.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The provisional squad does include Lingard, but not Martial:
    David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Lee Grant, Diogo Dalot, Chris Smalling, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Marcos Rojo, Luke Shaw, Ashley Young, Fred, Scott McTominay, Ander Herrera, Paul Pogba, Andreas Pereira, Juan Mata, Alexis Sanchez, Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Romelu Lukaku
    Second squad in a row that Jones is missing as well. There is no Matic either by the looks of it. This, as is usually the case, is going by who journos see entering the Lowry prior to home games. So we'll see.

I want this game to reflect without a shadow of a doubt that Dave is the best keeper in the Prem. Something that United fans know, but because of stats many neutral ones are seeing Alisson in that light at the moment. Hopefully when it's all said and done, this issue will be answered in the most decisive way after tomorrow's match.

Interesting to note also that this was the game, which sealed Mourinho's fate as United manager. Conversely, this is the game that could go a long way in handing Ole the job (should we get the desired positive result).

21. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fingers crossed we get the McTominay from last season (vs Chelsea for instance) and not the player we've seen this season for the most part.

23. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Is Matic suspended or is Ole scared he will cost us again?

Has to be injured. Not even on the bench?

24. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He has a muscle injury....smfh

25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Now it the time McT! Be brave, young man, be strong and have faith!