PBP: EPL - Manchester United FC vs Leicester City FC - Sep 14, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG]vs [​IMG]

Competition: English Premier League
    Venue: Old Trafford
    Time: 15:00 (BST), 10:00 (EST)
    Channels: MUTV(UK), NBC Sports Gold(US), DAZN(Canada), Flow Sports Premier(JA), SuperSport 3 Africa(Zambia), SuperSport Maximo(Zambia)

Manchester United injuries: Wan-Bissaka (back), Bailly (knee), Shaw (hamstring), Dalot (hip/muscle), Pogba (ankle), Lingard (illness), Martial (knock)
    Leicester City injuries: James (achilles), Morgan (back)

Manchester United last 6: W-D-L-D
    Leicester City last 6: D-D-W-D-W

Manchester United last result: 1-1 away draw at Southampton
    Leicester City last result: 3-1 home win over Bournemouth

Manchester United league standing: 8th
    Leicester City league standing: 3rd

Last League Encounter: 0-1 away win at Filbert Street (Feb 2019)

Manchester United last starting XI (4-2-3-1):
    de Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelöf, Maguire, Young(c), McTominay, Pogba, James, Mata, Pereira, Rashford

Leicester City last starting XI (4-1-4-1):
    Schmeichel(c), Pereira, Evans, Söyüncü, Chilwell, Ndidi, Albrighton, Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes, Vardy

=====================
    and we're back.

this won't be easy but time to get back on track. notice the coverage

jnielsen repped this.
  2. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh God, that's right....the season isn't over yet...

3. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this either and I was pretty positive going into the season.

If Pogba plays, then I think we drop points.

If he's out injured, then I think we win.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very early call for the team I'd like to see for this one:
    --------------------------------Dave
    ----Wan-Bissaka---Lindelöf---Maguire---Shaw/Young
    ------------------Fred-----McTominay----Pogba
    ----------------Rashford---Martial---James
    Would be amazed if Ole threw Fred in but I really want to see us go with a mid 3 to counter Leicester's midfield of Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison. Would be fine with AP in the midfield 3 if Fred is not an option. The other obvious benefit of playing 3 in midfield would be to relieve Pogba of some of his defensive duties, allowing him to be more involved offensively in the process.
    Upfront, James start (since he's pretty hot right now) provided it's on the left where he's far more effective. Not confident at all if Ole continues with the team he's gone with recently but the team above, in that setup, should get the job done.

5. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well it would be a terrible thing to drop points to your direct rivals :(

Deadtigers and Anonymous_United repped this.
  6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Would be stupid to go with 2 players in Mid.. Not codifent at all TBH ..

7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Positions and players up for debate, but most would definitely have a lot of Leicester players in a combined 11 - which speaks volumes on our current starter quality.

8. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Perrira vs AWB is tricky. The former is better offensively.

Also James over Martial is comedic. The writer is English. Explains the Whole line up actually.

9. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    #9 Naboomagnoli, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Shaw, Poison P and Martial are out of contention apparently. AWB and Jesse Lingard are possibly out.

10. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
  11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oles new fitness regime seems to have taken its toll earlier than expected. Good thing we have a deep squad. :rolleyes:

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 Ashur, Sep 13, 2019
    Following Ole's update at this morning's presser, we then could be looking at the following team for tomorrow:
    --------------------------------Dave
    ----Wan-Bissaka---Lindelöf---Maguire---AY
    -----------Fred-----McTominay----Lingard/AP
    -----------Greenwood---Rashford---James

AWB and Lingard have been listed as doubts but will go on assumption that Ole will go with them. Still wouldn't change the desired shape for this one (containing that midfield is a key to the game).
    Betting Ole will find a way to insert Matic and Mata in there, in which case we're probably going to be screwed against an athletic and quick team like Leicester's. Not looking good as is but our chances would be better with the XI above. Would certainly have youth on the bench also (Gomes, Chong and Garner): what do we have to lose at this point?
    But this is a nightmare scenario come to light...

topnoevili repped this.
  13. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Fred hasn't seen any action all season, i don't see him starting. I would think Matic has to start this one (like him or not).

14. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wouldn't put pp in though. Not sure who to replace him with but not sure he merits a spot.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 Ashur, Sep 13, 2019

Previously posted vid has been taken down.
    Putting aside the issues with injuries and all, interesting to note that Ole does not seem privy as to what is going on with Dave and him signing a new contract.
    Ole still smiling though but I'm genuinely concerned for him (and the team as a whole), particularly with the difficult month ahead in regards to the league fixtures.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On whatever basis you believe that Pogs does not deserve a spot in a combined XI, then the same can be said about Dave based on the last few months. On form, I think it's pretty obvious that Schmeichel is streets ahead of him. Don't believe that is the factor being considered though, clearly.
    End of the day, Pogba deserves, without a doubt, to be in a combined XI between both sides.

17. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Looks like United will be getting the W. Pogba is not playing.

Let’s see how the prediction holds up.

18. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Fred needs to start. I hope Matic does not.

19. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Both Gomes and Chong should be in the squad - they are not in U23 game. We'll see both Matic and Mata starting here.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Lee Grant, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Axel Tuanzebe, Phil Jones, AY, Scott McTominay, Nemanja Matic, AP, Fred, Juan Mata, Angel Gomes, Tahith Chong, Mason Greenwood, Marcus Rashford, Daniel James

In addition to the guys we know to be out injured, it appears as if Lingard was not spotted either, so it looks he might be out as well. Fred making the provisional squad is great news as well: even better news for me would be seeing him in the starting XI. Don't care really that he hasn't played so far this season. If he's ready, he's needed, badly.

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    time to hope Mata has his one 7/10 game of the year here

22. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is true about Dave. I am fine with you calling me out on it. Schm should probably be in due to Dave's poor form.

But I find the last paragraph contradictory. What basis is there for pp inclusion?

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 reasons. First, I believe that talk of Pogba being poor so far has been overblown: could have been better overall and especially more consistent but he's still been better than most CMs in the league.
    Second and most important IMO is that deployed correctly and/or with more competent personnel, there is little doubt that he'd be even more dangerous than he's already been.
    Pogba, playing in a deeper role in tandem offering little in the way of protection (McTominay has been solid but is not the ideal partner to Pogs in a mid 2) still is one of the top chance creators in the league so far amongst from midfielders (second behind KdB). Play him alongside Ndidi in that same role and the issue with him losing possession in dangerous areas is sure to be greatly mitigated.
    The presence of Maddison, who would be 3rd mid in my combined XI (not sure what he's doing wide left in the team Optus put together) would provide the additional creator in the team that would also make him more dangerous, since the opposition would not be able to completely focus on him every time he touched the ball. I'm a fan of Tielemans (would have like if United made a try for him this past summer) but he's still not on Pogba's level, not yet at least.
    As such, Pogba's place in a combined XI is pretty straightforward, as far as I'm concerned.

24. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** that, play Gomes.

25. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A nightmare scenario indeed.

Your XI looks about right to me, Ashur, although it's hard to imagine Matic not starting. Do we know if Fred is even ready to start?