PBP: EPL - Manchester United FC vs Crystal Palace FC - Aug 24, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Opta stats
    • Manchester United have won one of their last nine matches across all competitions (D3 L5), scoring just eight goals while conceding 16 in this stretch.
    • Manchester United are only the second team to win a penalty in each of their first three matches to a Premier League season, after Chelsea in 2012-13. However, the Blues scored all three of theirs while the Red Devils have missed two.
    • Dan James is the seventh Manchester United player to score in both of his first two Premier League appearances at Old Trafford for the club, and the first since Zlatan Ibrahimovic in September 2016.
    https://www.skysports.com/football/man-utd-vs-c-palace/408005

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said no one has a clue of whether Rashford can handle the responsibility of taking Pks after his miss. Up your reading comprehension.
    It's not hard in the least to see why you'd want Rashford removed from Pks, who are you trying to fool here? This is what his first miss in 7 attempts: for the record, Martial is not perfect either and has missed some also. Bottom line remains that it is way too early to even consider removing Rashford from Pk duties after today.
    And as to the potential fallout of Ole making a change now, it really doesn't take much thought to see the extent of the damages it would cause right now. As stated, while I still believe that behind closed doors, Ole did settled things, with Rashford being our prime Pk taker, with Pogba as the first alternative, I do not like how he handled them publicly. But it's done and we just need to leave sleeping dogs lie. Him changing things around will reopen that whole can of worms and it will once again a point of focus when it really should not be.
    We can revisit the topic if Rashford does prove incapable of handling the task of taking Pks and continues to miss them..

3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think we all need to start getting more than a touch concerned about DDG right now.

If this is our new normal, I dont care who takes penalties or how Pogba plays or what the ******** we do with the kids.

Weve got a massive, point costing problem between the pipes right now.

thenamestsam and Deadtigers repped this.
  4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The concern regarding our failure to convert on two pk’s is well taken. 4 points dropped because of it.

But the real problem is deeper. We have the right players in Rashford and Martial. And I’m happy to see James and Greenwood develop and perhaps see Dalot on the right here and there. But we have a serious deficiency at 10, currently disgraced by Lingard.

No doubt “Linz” runs around in circles, but his ability to create chances is virtually nonexistent and I was pleased, perhaps relieved, that Ole subbed him off early in the second half.

Perhaps he should spend more time in training working on his game and less time on social media.

Not that Pereira is a magic bullet but I’d rather see him out there than Lingard. Or Mata if the opponent is low block smash/grab club like Crystal ********ing Palace. Or maybe even Gomes.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is why I raised the issue of his contract at some point midweek. I thought it was all sorted out and as I've mentioned before I think it needs to be, as it clearly affects his game in some way.
    I still believe in Dave and him being one of the very best keepers currently in the game, but at the same time it's no coincidence that apart from the start of his United career, his 2 worst periods were when there was contract issues. He obviously can't compartmentalize and it leads to what we've seen from him since the end of last season.
    One way or another, we have to hope this will be resolved soon so we can the real Dave once more.

6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Or, has he peaked and were now experiencing the crash down?

Were about to chuck 350k a week at a keeper who is arguably the worst in the league right now, on a long stretch of form at least.

It's a big worry to me.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand the worry and yes, right now it does look like a risk to throw big money and a lot of years at him. But at the same token, I don't really believe in coincidences either and it's hard to overlook the fact that his worst periods of form have come in the exact same circumstances. There was criticism of van Gaal when he decided to take him out of the line of fire when he was going thru the same stuff back with the Real stuff, but he was clearly proven right.
    He didn't like what he saw from him and didn't play him. As soon as the move to Real fell thru and he signed his new contract with United, he was back to his best again. And I believe personally that is what will/would happen once his current situation is handled.
    The guy is 28yrs old: should be at his peak right now, especially for a keeper. And while it's possible that his game has started to fall off a cliff, it's still hard to believe also. And I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but for everyone's sake, this uncertainty around his future needs to end. The number of times in the past year that it's been reported by reputed/solid outlets that a new deal has been agreed, only for nothing to come off it, is what is really bizarre and kind of a worry to me at this point (more than him having lost it as a player).

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Up your reading comprehension aswell i quoted the same without your additional gibberish.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The decision that really stuck in my throat the most is that Cahill did not get sent off when he was all over Martial. Who knows if we would have been able to break them down. But surely reduced to 10 men, they probably would have found it much tougher.
    Don't know that ref but he really was poor and I hope it will be a very long time before we see him in one of our games again.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's a bit of an overaction to call him worst in the league. Even if he's going through a steep decline, you don't go from best in the world to worst in your league in 6 months.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    “Arguably the worst keeper in the league...”

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @incighte, nothing eh? Still waiting for that proof that I backtracked and said I support multiple penalty takers.

If you're going to misrepresent me, I'm going to call you on it.

13. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    You’re annoying

14. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016

15. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    #290 incighte, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    I don't know what that is, but it looks like you defending the multiple designated penalty takers.

Edit: you have to pick a side. You can't chastise me for calling it a poor decision without the implication being that you support it.

16. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not saying he is....

But his form since March has easily been the worst in the league.

Hes made at least 7 or 8 very high profile gaffes in that time.

His form for 12 months now has been average at best.

It's a big concern I think. Among our biggest I think.

17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I had to. Gotta learn that you can't just make up shit and say it and expect to just always get away with it.

I'm teaching life lessons.

But seriously, I'll put him on ignore tonight just for you because I know it's important to you. You fat redneck.

Chaz Striker repped this.
  18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How is me stating the fact that we have multiple penalty takers the same as supporting it.

If you tell me that some people in the world are racist (Which is a fact) does that mean you support racism? Thats basically the logic you are using here.

19. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    That's not even close to a sequitur comparison.

It's a binary issue.

It's either a poor decision to have multiple penalty takers, or it isn't - in which case you support it.

You chastised me for calling it a poor decision, ergo implying you thought it was either no big deal, or supported it.

You were right originally. You did call it a bad decision.

But how stupidly hard your dick gets to argue with me got in the way, putting you in a situation where you implicitly stated that you were fine with it.

Learn a lesson from yourself. You ain't on the original thought level yet.

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There's a difference between supporting something and accepting it as reality.

But it's cool, you do you. I'm just clogging up the boards at this point. This is going nowhere. Enjoy your night.

21. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Don't threaten me with a good time.

doubletrouble repped this.
  22. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would you two shut the fcuk up?

23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This post is beyond the pale, amigo.

Whether or not I think you’re on the mark on the substance, which you were today, your posts have been excessively personally abusive. Take this shit somewhere else.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    People wanna give opinions, don't want others to give their opinions and put people on ignore because they don't agree with their opinions. Such a sensitive bunch o_O

Gisselbrecht and jnielsen repped this.