PBP: EPL - Manchester City FC vs Manchester United FC - Dec 7, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Dec 4, 2019.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You don't even understand the words that you typed! When you can demonstrate that understanding and knowledge, I will engage further. It isn't my job to educate you.

2. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Go on then - name some who are better in 1v1 duels.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He's not challenging the findings, he's challenging the methods.

4. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever you say, champ. :)

5. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To clarify the part that I am jumping over is the most extraordinary defensive performance. I've seen better from maldini, Rio vidic, sol off the top of my head.
    But Assuming your question still stands, Gary Neville against Reyes (rip)

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming you're referring to the game where we stopped Arsenal's unbeaten streak at 49, that defensive performance from Gary Neville on that day in no way was better than Wan-Bissaka's this past weekend.
    He did mark him tight, but really what he did that game (along with Phil) is kick the shit out of Reyes until he came off. Reason being because he epitomized Arsenal's softness back then. GNev has had some top notch defensive displays in his time, but I wouldn't put that amongst his top ones.
    The job Wan-Bissaka did Saturday, marking Sterling out of the game was top notch, elite stuff even. It's in no way hyperbolic to say that it was superb.

7. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That portion of my comment was tongue in cheek but I couldn't put the :p after writing rip as that wouldn't look good.

His performance was good no doubt but the hyperbole from cascarino is annoying.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    He was very good, but let's not exaggerate here. While he easily won the battle against Sterling, he did get beat by him a couple of times, which led to a few chances and a dangerous free-kick on the edge of area. He was also man-marking Otamendi on a corner and was completely overrun, should've done better there.

doubletrouble, johno and benni... repped this.
  10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Several points here:

I can't think of a FB on either side who would be tasked w/ playing a winger in the form Sterling is in, 1v1 without any type of help, let alone another one who would have dominated the battle.

He needed to do better marking Otamendi but I can't for the life of me gather why the hell he was marking their best aerial target.

I don't think it is hyperbole to say he's the best defensive fullback in the league, that's a fact. There might be other defensive fullbacks who are as good in world football, but I don't know who they are. He's comfortably a top 5-10 RB and could move higher if he improved his composure and passing.

11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's not possible to overstate the performance Wan-Bissaka put in against City. He was masterful. Sterling, who has been sensational of late, was kept in pocket. Yes, Raheem wriggled through once or twice, but to no damaging effect.

A word about David De Gea is in order: God.

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Same reason that AP was marking Dunk (Brighton CB) when he scored from a corner against us - Ole has his big men lined up zonal and uses other players such as AWB/AP etc. as disruptors to block the runs. Am not a fan of this approach ...

13. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    You're an idiot. Referencing a law review from 2002 does nothing to change that. The binary rationale behind your "argument" and absolutism reinforcing it is mind numbingly blind.

Otherwise, great win for Man United.

johno repped this.
  14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ahh... ok. I'm not opposed to the idea of man + zone for defending, but you don't put the guys who get paid to win physical contests marking air on corners/set pieces. I'd have McTominay in the near post zone and AWB in the far post zone w/ Marcus given freedom to attack the ball. If you put the CBs in zones then the set piece taker can just decide, well, I'm going to kick away from so and so. In any case, it isn't working. We've conceded 6 times from set pieces which has us near the bottom (not worst).