PBP: EPL - Manchester City FC vs Manchester United FC - Dec 7, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Dec 4, 2019.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We are one-paced. When we can run in transition, we destroy things. Against teams who want to sit back we need more magic. I don't think 10 is the answer necessarily. Well, not a 10 on our books. A great deal depends on how we deploy our midfield. We won't likely use a 10 all the time when Pogba is back and I think Pogba as a midfielder w/ a free role can possibly help unlock the teams who want to sit back... particularly if he forms a good relationship w/ Rashford and Martial.

I agree on the statement that we need some depth, but to me, apart from landing a stellar holding midfielder, our biggest need is in attack. If we could land a RW who could shoulder some of the creative burden whilst also providing goal threat. We would have a much more balanced team.

The next squad addition is another CF and another CM both positions which could potentially be filled by academy players but perhaps not ideally for the next 18 months.

2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I don't disagree with your point about his inconsistency. However the issue has been when he's had to play six or eight. He has had his best performances in the past year when he's had to play 10 and been closer to goal and I think that's where he belongs and can be most useful to us

3. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Baby face kicked baldy in the knuts[emoji6]

Anonymous_United repped this.
  4. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We haven't been Man United since the day Sir Alex retired. Not advocating his dismissal and I agree he should see the season out. But the spots of sunshine should be treated just like the stretches of clouds. If we can't get too down on the failures, let's not over emphasize the successes either. Let's see were we stand in May.

5. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Enjoyable game to watch.

jnielsen repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What do you guys think about the comms harping on mct going forward? At least twice maybe three times they were chastising him for running beyond the attacking players when we had the ball.

I like it personally as he was picking moments when to do so which added some dimension to our attack

8. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Having seen 20 odd minute highlights we should have scored more and citeh without aguero didnt had cutting edge in final third but could have scored more themselves.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We’ve done well against Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Man City this season. Out problem is against the likes of Newcastle, Aston Villa and Sheffield United.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #136 johno, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Ironically missed Lukaku (and Pogba) for those types of games. I think if Romelu had been happy to split time w/ Martial, we'd have been in better shape this season.

Nothing wrong with that. That's helpful. I actually think Fred did that a lot more than Scott did in that regard. Midfielders breaking forward is always useful because it means the defense drops off making ball recovery easier and there's more space between the lines OR the midfielder can get through on goal, provided we can find the pass.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With Martials injuries this year, Lukaku would have gotten plenty of minutes to re-establish himself but he thought he was too good to earn minutes so he took off. I’m glad he’s not here. It’s that type of mindset and player we’re trying to purge from the club.

13. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that’s why we need an attacking midfielder, Lingard is not consistent enough and Mata is useful for maybe 8 fixtures per season. Need one or two players aside from Pogba and Lingard who are capable of opening a defense up. With his dribbling ability, Gomes would be quite useful in that regard.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have no ill will to him, I understand your position but I don't share it. I think it is important to have players who want to start all the time. Obviously you don't want people bitching and moaning, but I also don't want you happy to be sat on the bench.

15. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    ...are you saying he was exercising his right to free speech?

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Almost to a man, the people who speak out in favour of the 1st amendment don't understand what it means. most people thinks it means you can say what you want. I mean, even a tiny thought experiment would disprove that, but that is beyond most.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don’t wish anything against him. I think it was best for everyone that he left. We need guys that fit our style and are willing to compete. He is a guy that needs to be a guaranteed starter no matter his form. There are plenty of places that will cater to that type. We shouldn’t be one.

19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because he doesn't have that right in the UK.

20. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "First Amendment

An amendment to the US Constitution that prohibits any law limiting freedom with respect to religion, expression, peaceful assembly, or the right of citizens to petition the government."

This man is being criminally prosecuted for what he expressed. He issued no "call to action", which is not a form of protected speech, or other types of speech formally recognized as not protected by the First Amendment.

Even what you would call "hate speech", a term that is utterly ridiculous, is protected by the First Amendment.

"Hate speech in the United States is not regulated, in contrast to that of most other liberal democracies. The U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that hate speech is legally protected free speech under the First Amendment."

https://scholarship.law.missouri.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1413&context=facpubs

Now, do I think this asshole should be immune from repercussions from his reprehensible actions? Legally, yes. But if this shithead loses his job and can't get a night's rest for being a racist asshole, then that's perfectly fine.

21. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    This is too much stupid for me to be dealing with right now.

doubletrouble repped this.
  22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lofty and justified praise from Cascarino on Wan-Bissaka's performance. It holds up and as a matter of fact pops even more on the re-watch. Just excellent.
    1204099841003048960 is not a valid tweet id

CybrSlydr repped this.
  25. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't doubt his performance was outstanding but I question how much soccer cascarino watches