PBP: EPL - Manchester City FC vs Manchester United FC - Apr 27, 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

Competition: Barclays Premier League
    Venue: Etihad Stadium
    Time: 20:00 (BST), 15:00 (EST)
    Channels: Sky Sports 1 HD(UK), MUTV(UK), NOWTV(UK), NBC Sports Live(US), NBCSN(US), NBC Universo(US),Telemundo Deportes en vivo(US), Telemundo(US), fuboTV(US), Sportsnet World(Canada), Flow Sports Premier(JA)

Manchester City injuries: Stones (knock), Sagna (knock), Silva (hamstring), Fernandinho (muscle), Gündoğan (knee), Agüero (muscle), Jesus (foot)
    Manchester United injuries: Rojo (knee), Jones (toe), Smalling (leg), Pogba (hamstring), Mata (groin), Ibrahimović (knee)

Manchester City last 6: D-D-L-W-W-L
    Manchester United last 6: D-W-D-W-W-W

Manchester City last result:
    2-1 loss to Arsenal (FA Cup)
    Manchester United last result: 0-2 away win at Burnley

Manchester City league standing:
    4th
    Manchester United league standing: 5th

Last League Encounter:
    1-2 home defeat at Old Trafford (Sep 2016)

Manchester City last starting XI (4-2-3-1):
    Bravo, Navas, Kompany, Otamendi, Clichy, Touré, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Silva, Sané, Agüero

Manchester United last starting XI (4-3-3):
    de Gea, Valencia, Bailly, Blind, Darmian, Herrera, Pogba, Fellaini, Martial, Lingard, Rooney(c)

=====================
    OK, so.... Rashford and Martial start? who do you prefer as the #9?

Does Shaw come back in? Fellaini retains his place?

did Mourinho's somewhat cryptic post game message mean one of Jones/Smalling plays? even if not 100%? does Blind play again despite recent struggles? and what of Tuanzebe?

find out on the next episode of the Manchester derby. and go

jnielsen, b0sk1 and Deadtigers repped this.
  2. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let's not play an unfit jones/ smalling play and further jeopardize our chance of a win.I would rather go with tuanzebe. Atleast that way we can see what to do with him. Who knows he may do good.

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Arguably our most important league game this season. Win this and we out ourself in a good spot to finish top 4. Lose this and it's probably over unless Pool keep leaking points.

Futbol_Head and SyedZada repped this.
  4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Front 3 should absolutely be Martial, Rashford, and Miki. Kill them with pace.

The midfield 3 should be Pogs, Herrera, and Carrick unless one of the first two aren't fit. Then bring in Fellaini.

Back line should be Shaw, Tuanzebe, Bailly, and Valencia. But I'm sure it'll be Blind and Bailly.

Gilma1990 and jeff070 repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 Ashur, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    City might be without Silva and possibly Aguero, which could be huge. GJ may be back so that's a nice trade off for them in that department but he's not going to be match fit.
    And their defense is still the same more or less, even if Kompany coming back has been a plus for them.
    We've just got to go at them with speed upfront indeed, just like we did vs Chelsea. If Silva is not going to be there, KDB will probably be the one pulling the strings for them and we'll have to put the clamps on him.
    We've got a chance for this one, no doubt about it, being a derby game and all. We've just got to see the same tactical nous from Jose from the Chelsea game and the fight and desire we've seen from the guys in that game and vs Burnley. With both those elements, anything can happen, even if God forbid, we're missing Pogs on the day (fingers crossed he'll be good to go though)

My XI:

Dave
    Valencia. Bailly. Darmian/Tuanzebe. Shaw/AY
    Herrera. Carrick. Pogba
    Miki/Lingard. Rashford. Martial

If either or both Lingard or AY started for this one, I would have no issues with it, since both players have stepped it up big time when it really mattered as of late. In central defense, Blind's performance was really not up to scratch and that was against Burnley's attack. Vs City, want either Tuanzebe to get the call, but even Darmian would still make sense to me as well, because of his temperament and attitude towards defending, which are far more suited for the job compared to Blind.
    The rest of the team really picks itself. Big game here, with an even bigger opportunity. Some payback for the corresponding fixture at OT would be a nice, sweet bonus as well...

6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not sure if we are going to see another Mourinho master plan. Of course, the old rivalry is gone and these days i guess he is going after conte and Chelsea.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Ashur, Apr 24, 2017
    You mean that Jose has "forgotten" about his rivalry with Pep and Wenger? Just because Conte has found his way in his sights, doesn't mean he'll ever forget about them. Not a chance, as that is what gets him going inside...

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You call on the lineup. I think there's a chance we play 442 again with Martial and Rashford up top. Possible also that Lingard plays in a 433 with Mkhitaryan coming off the bench.

He could also try Martial off the bench and play a very conservative XI. This one is very difficult to call.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 Ashur, Apr 24, 2017
    I was really thinking about that possibility of going 4-4-2 with Rashford and Martial upfront (which selfishly would love to try admittedly). But I became a bit stuck on the midfield, especially vs their quick and dynamic wing options. But I wouldn't mind at all either to be perfectly honest.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lingard and Young with Pogba and Herrera. Would ask all 4 to do their fair share of work. Biggest problem would be inability to change the game off the bench with just one stacked available.

11. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I can see a diamond with two up top roaming to wings.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd absolutely take a draw in this one. If we can get through or remaining games with either one loss or two draws and the rest wins, we'll make top 4. But that's a tough ask.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the spirit of pulling a rabbit out of his hat, as we can expect Jose to do for this game, I actually like that setup: daring and possessing plenty of speed and guile, which could literally kill City.
    Any change of personnel would require a change in the setup, but that is something Jose could plan for as well. That's why he's being paid big money. But I do like the thinking a lot: being very pro active and taking it straight to them, instead of worrying to counter what they will do. Always the best position to be in, as far as I'm concerned. And we have little to lose, considering many think that our top 4 chances are dead anyway. Let's just go after them.

14. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I don't know what to expect from Mou. When we are down he picks it up, and when we are up, he screws it up.

De Gea

Valencia
    Bailly
    Blind (even though I would prefer Tuanzebe)
    Shaw

Fellaini
    Herrera
    Carrick (If Pogba can't make it, even though I'd like a like for like replacement in Mensah)

Lingard (need a horse)

Martial
    Rashford

Shut down Sane and De Bruyne.

When attacking Lingard plays in the hole, along when we are defending, Sane will be one on one with Valencia, physically Valencia will eat him alive but his pace is a danger however we have Bailly to cover. IF their LB overlaps Lingard has to drop and cover, he has enough football IQ to recognize that.

Rashford needs to track the RB runner with Martial playing up top, on the counter or build up play Rash can go as a 9 and drift Martial to the left to attack the fullback.

Lingard along with Fellaini and Herrera need to press high up to prevent distribution of the ball.

2-1 win for United.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin Atkinson will be the referree for this one. Not a bad choice in theory.

16. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United winning this does more for the team than any other result, in my opinion. It will boost morale and position the team exactly where they want to be. Other than beating Liverpool, this is the win that will set the mark going into the final stretch.

Gilma1990 and Ashur repped this.
  17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Play for the draw and hope we can score off a Fellaini knockdown ball.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The win vs Chelsea was a good start in that endeavor and it probably can be argued that win meant more to Jose and his United career. But on the back of that performance and to a lesser extent, what we saw against Burnley, I don't think that a win against City is out of reach.
    Their backline remains a major liability, which could be taken advantage of with the right gameplan, which I'm pretty confident Jose will put together. The players should be more than up for this one, so anything is possible really. Provided we don't lose anyone else important, I'm quietly confident about this one.

JC7rox repped this.
  19. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There's two way to look at winning streak -- the current game win streak -- that it has to come an end soon or that it will keep going until the end of the season. Win the next 6 games to wrap up the season with a remarkable 9 game win streak and a top four spot. But those next 6 games are no walk in the park. Even Palace could be tricky.

20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    ???

referring to my opening post or the post above yours?

21. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there were ever a time for players to step up and be counted for, it would be this match. Absolutely massive.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrera speaking about Thursday's game said that it's going to be the game of the season. That the players realize they are just one point behind them and with a win, they have a good chance to finish in the top 4. Went on to say that this is pretty much a "make or break" game, a massive game and that even though they have done well recently and done some good things, they'll have to show it Thursday.
    Give this man the armband already.

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry, one above iirc

24. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Would really like to see some speed up front to start. Stretch the middle and our midfield (carrick, pogba, Herrera) will beat theirs if Silva doesn't start. Our speed up front (rashford, martial, lingard) will also destroy their defense. I'm really looking for a direct attack, but I fear Jose might set up for the tie.

25. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know whats with all the new threads popping up in Chinese...seems like spam??