PBP: EPL - Liverpool FC vs Manchester United FC - Oct 14, 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made me chuckle when he also said that they played with a midfield 3 and as the home team, he expected them to 'try' more...

2. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    We will not beat any of the top sides away from home this season

4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Perhaps, but we may not need to if we do the job against the bottom 14 clubs. We've already dropped 2 points to Stoke but if we can assume for the moment maximum points against the bottom 15 clubs, home and away, that's 82 points right there.

How? 28 matches x 3 points each minus the 2 dropped to Stoke already.

I will assume 12 more points -- 94 total -- will be enough to lift glorious trophy.

Where do we find 12 more points from the other top 5 (of 6) clubs? Well, we picked up 1 today and I'm going with 3 when Liverpool come to OT. So we'll need to find 8 points from the remaining 8 matches of City/Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal -- 8 of those 24. I don't
    know which of those 8 matches will yield those 8 points but I have to believe 8 from those 24 points is very doable.

But this all presupposes we run the table with the remaining bottom 15 feeders and you know there's a banana peel or two in there somewhere, so let's take 4 points (two draws, no losses) off the board, which means we'll need to take 12 points from those 24 points of City/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs. A challenge, but doable. But we will need to, and it seems to me we will, take at least two wins from those eight matches, which again I think is doable. Maybe the double off Arsenal.

Despite the "ugly away point" performance today, when we get Pogba, Bailly, Fellaini and of course Ibrahimovic back I'm pretty confident in our ability to pick up wins against top sides, although I must concede alarm at City's dominance so far this season.

In other words, if we settle for draws away at City and Chelsea we're still in great, great shape. But w have to do the job against the bottom 15 clubs. And punk either Arsenal and/or Spurs, which of course is no given.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #230 Ashur, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Students of United under Ferguson in his latter years will recall many performances not unlike what we saw today.

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    the headlines leading up were "easy ride so far" and "first big test"

the headlines after will not be "test passed"

still a lot of work to do

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did not fail spectacularly either. And we're missing key players to boot. At worst, this is an "incomplete" for United. But when the tabulations will be complete at the end of the season, this could still be an important point.

My biggest worry is for the weeks to come, while we're still undermanned so to speak. Hope we can avoid dropping too many points during that time, especially with games coming thick and fast the rest of this month alone.

9. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Jose has no trust in Smalling-Jones partnership and with a relatively soft midfield didn't want to have them exposed during fast breaks. I do think with a healthy Pogba and Bailly we would've had a more positive approach.

gatekeeper2 repped this.
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    José had more dumb comments about having no bench to affect the game. can't be uplifting for those sat on it today.

hopefully they are used to this nonsense from him and brush it off or ignore it.

Klopp also had a moan about the "definite penalty" which was soft at the very best on Coutinho

11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Spot on. Pogba is far and away our best outfield player, a player who instantly developed a solid understanding with Lukaku. We miss him when we're up against top six clubs. The downshift from Bailly to Smalling is massive, yet we held Liverpool to only one serious shot on goal.

We expect absences due to injury but when you consider that Bailly, Fellaini and Pogba are regular starters under Mourinho it's not hard to appreciate that we sent up two players, Smalling and Herrera, today who have seen very little action so far this season and look like players who understandably have yet to find rhythm this season.

This wasn't a match anyone here would have bet a substantial sum on us to win. Winnable, of course, but a win away at Anfield is never a bet you'd want to risk a lot of money on.

We did well to get the point. As far as I know we suffered no new injuries and we're teed up well for our next two away fixtures, Benfica and Huddersfield. Job done, no complaints are warranted apart from rueing Lukaku's missed glorious chance.

12. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "we did well to get a point"???

This is a Liverpool team not in fantastic form missing their best player. Creating 1 chance against this team home or away is a joke. Brighton will create more chances than we did....and that's not on our players, that's on Jose.

doubletrouble repped this.
  13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Saw most of the game. We were poor by design. Jose to take blame for a disjointed display and negative tactics. It was VERY clear that we were not to hold the ball or attempt to beat the press with passing. We hit it long continually with Lukaku up by his lonesome.

With the personnel at hand, we should have played wingbacks. That would have allowed width and pace in dangerous positions and allowed Martial to support Lukaku and Mkhi to play in the hole.

As it played out, we sat deep and didn't pose a threat on the break at all. Stupid game plan.

That said, with a couple of chances aside, we didn't look like conceding and most importantly, we didn't. A draw against pool isn't glamorous, but if we beat minnows and draw better teams we could win the league.

jeff070 repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely why I was hoping for a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3, after Fellaini went down. Our available personnel and circumstances were begging for it. We could have troubled Pool way more than what we ultimately did with some serious wing play.
    Our tactical choices were disappointing, because as mentioned prior to the game, Pool were there for the taking. But also, at the end of the day, a point at Anfield is not the worst result either.

15. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Liverpool are always a dangerous opponent for us -- our most bitter rival. Form guide goes out the window for their cup final.
    We've historically done poorly in our first match after an international break -- and we saw it again today.
    Without Pogba, we've only got one world class player and he's our keeper.

Some of us here need to come to grips with the fact that despite our league record so far we're not Real Madrid or Barcelona. We're good and we'll dispatch the West Hams of the world but we're just not the dominant squad we all wish it were. To wit:
    • Valencia at right back?
    • Jones and Smalling at CB?
    • Darmian at LB?
    • Young at RW?
    Those five will never make Klopp shit his pants.

We did well to keep a clean sheet, which is always the first priority away against a club which has a realistic T4 aspiration. Like it or not, that's the Mourinho way. We can rightly moan about the lack of quality chances and I agree that Miki had a terrible game but we had the glorious chance we were looking for and Lukaku couldn't pull it off.

Would I prefer a 0-4 thrashing over Liverpool? Of course. But in light of the circumstances a draw at Anfield, where Arsenal was destroyed 4-0, was a good result for us. You don't have to like it, but that's the reality. Apart from City, I don't see any other team in the EPL destroying Liverpool at Anfield. Do you?

16. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "we have 1 world class player"

How many do Liverpool have...I must have missed the memo.

17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Philippe Coutinho.

Barcelona reportedly were prepared to spend 140m for Coutinho.

What...never heard of him?

Let me help you out with the wiki page on this dude:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Coutinho

18. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm going to feed your need for attention because I'm in a playful mood.

If for arguments sake we say each team has 1 world class player...and then there are a set of next tier players. Are the next tier of players massively in Liverpools favour? Is Can beter than Matic? Lovran better than Jones? Firmino better than Martial? etc

Just as it's okay to praise Mourinho for good performances..fans have every right not to want to put up with this negativty and call him on it. We have no idea if we could have won that game, because the players were instructed not to try.

19. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i was really disappointed by mkhitaryan and herrera.

mkhi is clearly not a 10 and he has a tendency to somehow shiy away from the ball in important games - griezmann, or at the very least oezil, is needed in january or in the summer. mkhi needs to go back to the right wing.

herrera is just not good enough. you need to be great at something to play regularly in a top side - what's that something for herrera? he's not a great playmaker, ball winner, anchor or shuttler. also, he manages to be soft and reckless at the same time, he could have easily cost us a penalty against coutinho when matic had the play covered. i can't wait for pogba and fellaini (yes) to be back.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Herrera isn't soft and he's a great ball winner and an excellent 6/8, however his strengths don't match up with Pogba/Matic/Fellaini etc. Midfield is all about partnerships and shared responsibility. He can handle distribution and play around the press but not if he doesn't have outlets and the instructions are to hit it long.

21. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    thenamestsam and Ashur repped this.
  22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    this game was the game to go for it against them. they were short Mané, Lallana and Firmino is out of form. and against a work horse non offensive midfield too that is sorely lacking goals.

we had the form. i don't think we were negative or bunkering as Martial wouldn't have started and we wouldn't line up 2 v 3 in midfield if that was the case but everything was executed so poorly.

set pieces, passes, even tackles as we won so few of those and the 50/50s. we didn't do anything decisive today. we didn't decisively stifle or bunker nor did we decisively go for the jugular either. we didn't even defend well today.

it was just bad all round and we got a point largely because they were poor finishers today and lacked their normal intensity.

as for the other big away games question if we didn't go for it here then sadly we won't anywhere else. maybe, MAYBE only Arsenal because he hates "the voyeur"

benni... repped this.
  23. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is the fact. Mourinho is scared of Liverpool, City and Chelsea. He puts his ego above the team. He lacks faith in his forward players to win him the game. That rubs off on the players, and we get performances like today.

24. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i'd argue that he can't handle distribution, unless that just means safely knocking the ball around - that shouldn't be enough for us. we're missing pogba in his now deeper role. herrera can't unlock runners with his long game.

ok, if he can't play in a 2 with a dynamic playmaker (pogba), a holding mid (matic), or a B2B (fellaini)... what's his ideal partner? i don't like midfielders that need their hand to be held. matic and pogba are good on their own, regarldess of tactic or pairing - that should be the united level. and i can't want fo the latter to get back so herrera can go to the bench or the stands.

25. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Laughable that Herrera is being made a scapegoat after those tactics. The amount of times I saw him nearly injure himself from stretching to beat the opponets from poor passes from the rest of our team..was ridiculous. Why were those passes so poor? Mourinho put it in the mind of our players that they were going to try and crush us. The paniced passing and clearences was all on Mourinho. The players had no confidence in trying to win this game.