PBP: EPL - liverpool FC vs Manchester United FC - Jan 19, 2020 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, pretty much...
    [​IMG]

2. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought Fred was excellent today myself. A solid 7.

I actually didnt think we were that bad today. If we had a fit Rashford and McT, I actually think we win that game. Even without Pogba in fact.

We were just that bit short in quality. Give Fred and Martial some better quality and their performances today would look at least a point or 2 better.

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    £75m >>>> £80m.

hope we kept the receipt

doubletrouble repped this.
  4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I know RvN mentioned it but I'm surprised there wasn't any talk about Gomez holding Harry for the Virgil goal. Definitely impeded him.

5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some interesting opinions

6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few conclusions from today's game.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/liverpool-2-0-man-utd-anfield-test-failed/

About Wan-Bissaka, it's pretty clear that it's not the best choice to play him as a WB. His limitations going forward are evident already when he's played as a FB and they're only compounded when he's asked to do more offensively.
    Plus, having played so much already this season, Ole needs to start thinking about spelling him more often, lest he wants to see him grow increasingly fatigued as the season winds down. Or worst yet, pick up some injury which would sideline him for a while.
    Dalot is back now and he needs to be given more opportunities. If Ole does not fully trust him for one reason or another, then bring Laird up. Of course, we can't fully predict how he'll do at senior level, but if Williams is any indication then Laird will be a massive hit. He's solid defensively but going forward he's perhaps the best FB we have at the club.
    In his one chance with the first team this season, at Astana, he acquitted himself very well. Can't see the harm in giving him more of a shot,. if Dalot is not a real solution at that spot. But AWB can't be expected to play in almost every single game the way he has. Let's hope that Ole will have finally learned his lesson there, particularly with Rashford being lost for a very long time, partially for that very reason...
    And another lesson which has been pretty evident way before today: enough with that zonal marking crap. Don't know if it's true or not but if the stat that we are amongst the leaders in conceding from corners, then that should be that and Ole needs to change the approach.
    Everytime we concede a corner, it's an adventure, one where we're worried about what the oppo will do. We've got big guys in Maguire, Matic and others playing: we should not be as vulnerable there. Put some guys at the posts and let's go assign guys to defend dangerous aerial players one on one, the old fashioned way.
    Zonal marking can work but we clearly have not mastered it yet. So until it is, it should be confined to the training ground.

8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i think you said it yourself earlier in the thread.

something like VAR 2 United 1? or someone did.

VAR is supposed to be for those things. if anything that goal was more illegal than the second one.

the ball was there to be challenged for on the second. or at least VvD attempted to challenge while Gómez did not. although Williams wasn't trying to win the ball either

9. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why you don't waste them in cup BS.

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We are super thin at all the roster spot so in theory would be nice if he did that but, at the end of that all that he could do

11. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    There's an obsession with resting players on here and Twitter.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is what Pool think of us now. If I speak, I'm in trouble...

13. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Beaten by the better side whom everyone here, myself included, expected to take all three points. No shame in that at all.

Despite the final score, we put in a pretty decent performance overall to hold Liverpool to a single goal until the last moment. The barraged us for a spell but excellent work by De Gea allowed us to stay in it. No surprise at all but without Rashford and Pogba we lacked any real quality up front.

The story of the game is the story of the trajectory of these two clubs. Liverpool has a sound management structure in place that identifies the right players, gets transfer business done quickly and has a manager who is tactically sound and inspires his players. They lift major trophies.

You can't say any of the above about United right now.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  15. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Liverpool had two goals disallowed, hit the woodwork, missed a 1v1, missed two really easy chances, and still beat us by two goals.

Well done us.

doubletrouble and jnielsen repped this.
  16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This. The only positive about yesterday is through pure luck we weren't beating by 4 or 5. We setup wrong from the start, had zero cohesion in terms of what the gameplan was, were totally outworked (minus a handful that gave it their all like Fred and Williams), and the only couple of chances we lucked into we didnt come close to scoring.

Good performance? Um, ok.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine there have been times where Dave has been upset/showed emotion on the pitch, but I honestly can't recall a time he blew his top the way he did yesterday.
    Threw me off, not going to lie, but I really liked seeing it all the same. Need more of this from him (when it's warranted of course).
    upload_2020-1-20_13-36-11.png
    Sidenote, that whole sequence was a quasi throwback to the days when our end of the 90s team would surround/crowd refs like David Ellery or Andy D'Urso to dispute calls. What we saw yesterday was very mild compared to what we saw back then though... :cool:

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good ol' days, lol... when we didn't crap from anyone, including officials. :laugh:

I bet D'Urso shit his shorts there.

19. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fred needs to be careful about touching the referee. Some of them will card you for that.

20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    why is anything from a liverpool fan channel being referenced as anything relevant??

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1218959377585098752 is not a valid tweet id

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes it was me but I disagree on the second as VVD was leading with his hand over his head so he was going for the player not the ball, case closed.
    Now on top of that we're charged for complaining to the ref. What a fcuking joke.

24. Billyboy229

Billyboy229 Member

Bolton
    Wales
    Dec 29, 2019
    Complaining to the ref? Come on, you cannot manhandle the ref like that. Wrong decision or not he could have given a red to a couple of players

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States