PBP: EPL - Liverpool FC vs Manchester United FC - Dec 16, 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Dec 13, 2018.

1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, he has been building up to this and put in a couple really good performances recently... but this was a complete display. Made somewhat easier due to the opposing midfield, I’m sure.

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that the opposing midfield made things easier for him, but today was just proof of his inherent quality. Some players take longer to adapt to their new surroundings and I guess it goes double to get used to a Klopp system, particularly in midfield.
    I'm sure they were nothing but bs rumours, but I saw on a few occasions that there were rumblings about him leaving. Which made me laugh considering how long he's been at the club. At any rate, that was a top display on his part and as mentioned, one that clearly highlighted why some here were desperate for us to sign him.

3. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    I dont buy Mourinho's excuse that this Man Utd team is not good enough. Napoli don't have world class players and yet they went to Anfield and matched this Liverpool team. They're simply a better coached team. You bring Fellaini on for what??

F*** you David Moyes for buying Fellaini!!!!

4. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO:

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    and it was only talk

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #132 Ashur, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    This autocorrect pest, meant "liar" previously as opposed to list. And if it was only just talk and he has blatantly lied for no reason at all, then by rights he should step down immediately.
    Even if everyone and their mothers are claiming for United to adopt a more modern structure, Woodward answers to no one, besides the Glazers (very unlikely it would come from them) and there's really no sense in him saying anything at all, only for it to be complete bs.
    It does not even make sense tbh: if anything, the fact that he lied should put even more pressure on him, given our current situation which is deteriorating by the day. What seems apparent is that somehow Woodward is perhaps befuddled by this mess with Mourinho and does not know what to do: his moves and decision are not just bizarre, but contradictory (from the moment he decided to keep him in but refused to back him to the fullest extent).
    Woodward also said that he'd get to work in earnest on that, after the Carrington expansion was completed. No telling exactly when that will be other than some time in 2019. We'll see, I suppose...

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Thank god i missed the match ... Jose wont be fired until end of season..

9. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No new conclusions can be drawn from this horrid performance. We knew we’d get hammered and we did. One could argue two big deflections but in reality they were taking shots all night and we bothered Alisson once.

The only question is when, not whether, to sack Mourinho. Even it meant giving it to Carrick to see out the season, we should sack Mori ho on Monday.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No new conclusions can be drawn from this horrid performance. We knew we’d get hammered and we did. One could argue two big deflections but in reality they were taking shots all night and we bothered Alisson once.

The only question is when, not whether, to sack Mourinho. Even it meant giving it to Carrick to see out the season, we should sack Mourinho on Monday.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Things is matic and AH is protecting the back three cum back five but they are getting shredded so fellaini comes in to protect the two who are protecting the back five (four) smdh

I enjoyed the game however. Liverpool put on quite a show. The pass by fabunho could only be attempted by pp who was stuck on the bench. Instead as one poster said before we played more of a 7-0-3 formation. Genius at work..m

14. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #140 Ashur, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    My favourite part of Mourinho's post match press conference was when he made a point in singling out Fabinho (along with Robertson) as the type of player he likes.
    Could not even get mad and was incredulous at the balls on that man to make such a statement.
    Fabinho was there for the taking and he wanted to come to United, but Mourinho snubbed him for Matic (at around the same price, I might add). That is what I mean by him being the biggest troll there is. Like he's having his own private joke at the fans' expense...

Fabinho's (relatively slow) progression at Pool, once again, highlights the value of patience and doing actual coaching, something Mourinho is incapable of. Just like he did with Robertson last season, Klopp took his time with Fabinho to integrate him properly into the team. And yesterday, he reaped the fruits of his work with the guy. And did it pay huge dividends.
    If Mourinho could have worked the same way with Fred, he probably would have started coming into his own by now. But Mourinho instead is using him as a pawn in his games with the board. That's what we're dealing with.

giggs88, J'can and Gilma1990 repped this.
  16. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We got shredded, as expected, but I thought Bailly and Lindelof actually looked decent against a pretty ferocious trio of forwards.

The breakdown was in our utter inability to string passes together and create any kind of sustained pressure that would pin Liverpool back.

Give this squad a proper manager and we might have nicked a result against what I thought was a good but not really special Liverpool side.

jnielsen and Anonymous_United repped this.
  17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Agree with gatekeeper2.. 2 deflected shots done us...

18. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dont know what gk said but we didn't get done by two deflected shots. Actually we are lucky it was not a wider margin

jnielsen repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the game alone clearly showed that Pool deserved to win. Looking at the shot count stat alone (36 v 6, I believe in Pool's favor) again demonstrated that this was never a close game. Dave was the busier of the 2 keepers, with Alisson hardly troubled, except for his mistake which led to the goal.
    if you shoot enough times, logic tells you that you'll eventually knock one or two in. Pool played the odds and it worked to their benefit. That's it really....

20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    disagree totally. on another day allowing 30+ shots yields 3 non-deflected goals or worse. that logic only holds if it was an even game or closely contested game.

the real issue is why are opponents able to get 30+ shots against us? an average of a shot every 3 minutes? that is worrying. especially when we have very little in reply

jnielsen repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No playmaker, no problem for Pool.

www.bbc.com/sport/football/46584842

Obviously have already covered Fabinho's huge influence on yesterday's game, but what was maddening is the fact that Mourinho, via his decisions, made it that much easier for their midfield.
    Defensively we always knew that Matic, Herrera and Lingard were going to be stretched. But offensively, that trio had little to offer in terms of passing and creativity.
    And if course, when Mourinho introduced Fellaini with both Pogba and Mata available, that was all she wrote and it was only a matter of time, as it proved. But the choice of bringing Fellaini on epitomizes what Mourinho is all about and how he envisions the game.
    As mentioned pregame, if he really wanted to be clever with Fellaini, he would have started him in Lukaku's stead. With Rashford alongside him and the proper support in midfield, things would not have been so easy and predictable for Pool.

22. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    unclear What you are disagreeing with but I'm totally with you on that last paragraph. in fact I believe all of the outfield players for Liverpool had a shot

In the context of the game on a standalone basis it was very embarrassing.

In the context of the game as part of the season leading up to now this game is a culmination of the crap that we have been.

Hard to see it's getting any better. This is demoralizing.

jnielsen repped this.
  23. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this shit show, the fcking perch is about to get crowded again

jnielsen repped this.
  24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks Liverpool :)

25. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Christmas miracle. Thank you baby Jesus. Poch tapped to succeed.