PBP: EPL - Liverpool FC vs Manchester United FC - Dec 16, 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

Competition: English Premier League
    Venue: Anfield
    Time: 16:00 (BST), 11:00 (EST)
    Channels: Sky Sports Main Event(UK), Sky Sports Premier League(UK), MUTV(UK), NBCSN(US), NBC Universo (US), Telemundo Deportes en vivo(US), TSN 3(Canada), TSN 4(Canada),TSN 5(Canada), Réseau des Sports 2(Canada), Flow Sports Premier(JA), SuperSport 3 Africa (Zambia)

Liverpool injuries: Alexander-Arnold (foot), Gómez (leg), Matip (shoulder), Clyne (muscle), Chamberlain (knee), Solanke (groin)
    Manchester United injuries: Smalling (knock), Shaw (knock), Rojo (knock), Lindelöf (muscle), Darmian (knock), Dalot (knock), McTominay (knock), Sánchez (hamstring), Martial (muscle)

Liverpool last 6: W-L-W-W-W-W
    Manchester United last 6: D-W-D-D-W-L

Liverpool last result:
    1-0 home win over SSC Napoli (UCL)
    Manchester United last result: 1-2 away loss to Valencia Cf (UCL)

Liverpool league standing:
    1st
    Manchester United league standing: 6th

Last League Encounter:
    2-1 home win at Old Trafford (Mar 2018)

Liverpool last starting XI (4-3-3):
    Becker, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson(c), Wijnaldum, Milner, Salah, Firmino, Mané

Manchester United last starting XI (4-3-3):
    Romero, Valencia(c), Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Fred, Fellaini, Pogba, Mata, Pereira, Lukaku

=====================
    first "real" test since we've had in a little while. not that we've done well with the "small sides". good coverage of this game and bad coverage in defence.

damn near every player has a knock. possibly looking at Matić back there again which is good to see his spot vacated for an actual deserving midfielder but highly worrying facing the three pacy forwards for liverpool.

if that mid is Pogba it will most likely be in a defensive side and people and pundits will say again he didn't influence the game etc. but we're used to that. i suspect he'll be punished for the Valencia game. if we're planning to bunker then maybe it's for the best.

we've not lost here in a while but we've not won here in a while. it seems unlikely we will win away this time nor do i expect to. say what you will about LvG but he won these big games. anyway, we'll see what transpires

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to get worked

jnielsen repped this.
  3. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not only are we 16 points back of them, but they've allowed 6 goals all year while we have allowed 26 (34 goals for vs. 28 for us is a more manageable gap). Simply astonishing numbers. As much as it hurts to say the gap between the sides not only in terms of quality but in terms of long-term vision and outlook could hardly be greater at the moment.

The only silver lining I see is that given where we seem to be headed as a club at least Pool show that it is possible to get back up off the mat even if you sink very low.

jnielsen and Deadtigers repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the metrics and data clearly favor Pool, but this is definitely one of those games where league position, current form and stats pretty much go out the window. And if that weren't enough, Mourinho does have this habit of pulling a rabbit out of his hat in that type of game and somehow come up with a result. Juve away, Chelsea at the Bridge and Arsenal at home recently are all games this season we were supposed to be beaten.
    Pool now have to deal with the added pressure of being top of the league: not saying they can't deal with it, but it still remains to be seen.The biggest worry for me is our potential injury list, particularly at the back, and I'm looking forward to what Mourinho will have to say about that tomorrow.
    Anything can happen in this game, but a thumping from Pool will still something of a surprise, considering how we'll certainly be setup in a very defensive manner. This is a game also where Mourinho needs to check his ego and have Pogba start, alongside Herrera and Matic. He's the touch of class required in a very workmanlike midfield. Mata, Lingard and Rashford start as well. Lukaku starts this one on the bench.

5. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brah, we're gonna get smashed

J'can repped this.
  6. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not saying you're wrong Ashur, but I think it says it all about our current status that a home draw vs 5th place Arsenal is being described as "pulling a rabbit out of his hat" for a United manager.

There's no doubt that Mou's plan will be to bunker, make little attempt to keep the ball and hopefully make it to 70' at 0-0 or 0-1 when he will go to the Fellaini gameplan and try to get a scrappy goal. It could work. For as much defensive improvement as Pool have shown this year they really haven't clicked on all cylinders going forward this season and we know they are at their best when they can press you which they can only do if you're trying to build out of the back and through the middle. So there is some logic to the plan. Still with how atrocious our defense has been combined with the many injuries we're dealing with it's very hard for me to see us bunkering successfully.

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The only silver lining I see is that City are still better and will likely keep them from winning any major domestic titles. It would be sickening to have Pool equal or pass our PL title wins records post SAF.

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've said, this is the type of game where anything can happen on the day. I'm not sure what to expect but being smashed up or us pulling a miracle and getting a win somehow are the 2 scenarios I least expect. A hard fought draw or a narrow defeat are what I see happening in this game.
    The point re the Arsenal game, as clearly explained, was part of a larger narrative: that, especially after they actually worked Spurs over a few days prior, that we were going to be next. And in the end, it simply did not happen (just like it did not happen it other big games prior either).
    Our defense, with all the injuries we have at the moment, is even more of a source of concern granted. But as much as we may not care for Mourinho does not mean we have to forget how he operates. On the day, we could get severely beaten, but knowing Mourinho, he'll do everything in his power to prevent that from happening, even if it means being extremely negative and the game ultimately being a big letdown...

9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Expect us to park bus and get annihilated... if fit Martial Rashford Lingard should start ..

Gilma1990 repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did not divulge much at all in terms of our injury situation. His comments appear to suggest also that Pogs will not start. This is a guy running out the string.

11. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he'll start 6 CMs for this game. Should provide us w lots of width and balance.

jnielsen repped this.
  12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    But who will we lump the balls to with no target man. I know he is in bad form, I just feel like this is a game you need Pogba and Rome to come up big.

13. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 Ashur, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    This is a game where Pogba definitely should but not Lukaku (not on current form at least). The ideal strategy for this game, if Mourinho was smart, is to not only defend deep, as we expect, but also whenever possible to hit Pool on the counter with speed. Pool are missing some of their quickest defenders in Gomez, TAA and Matip. Lovren at CB and Milner or Fabinho (whoever plays at RB) are not the quickest and it is something we should take look to take advantage of.
    Mata, who is not quick of foot but quick thinking, Pogs, Herrera, Lingard and Rashford could be guys to elevate the pace of the game on the break, as required, to possibly trouble Pool. Guys like Fellaini or Lukaku should be back up options, if/when we get desperate and have to go root one, or if we have a result we need to defend. It won't be a surprise to see both players start, with Mourinho thinking brute strength, physicality and slowing the game down as much as possible will be best way to counter this Pool team.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going route one from the onset would really be the worst option, when you think about it and would actually be playing right into van Dijk and Lovren's hands, with both players excelling in the air and in clearances.
    Both, especially the Best CB in the World, are very susceptible to pace and have a hard time dealing with a high tempo. Pool's backline is clearly more organized since van Dijk's arrival, this speed and creativity would be the way to come at them.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to this one. If LFC can't get a win against this United side... if not now, when?

That said LFC's back line is fairly banged-up. I expect a close one despite all available evidence, 2-1 or even a jaw-clenching 1-1 seem very possible.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keane being an in-studio pundit for Skysports for this game should make things interesting. Caustic commentary on deck.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing the following team, using a sharp and quick counter attacking style, would give us an actual chance Sunday.

------------- Dave
    AY. Bailly. Smalling. Shaw
    ----Herrera. Matic. Pogba
    -------- Mata. Lingard
    ------------Rashford

Matic stays in front of the back, almost as an auxiliary defender. His role is to help the defense out, win the ball or get it from the back and pass it off as quickly as possible to Herrera or Pogba, to get things going the other way.
    Mata would be an added touch of creativity and sharp passing when we have the ball. We'd look to him to supply balls in the final third to Lingard and Rashford. Would have those 2 perform lots of work high up the pitch and press Pool's CBs and midfielders hard, to perhaps push them to a mistake.
    Might also take them by surprise, as it's the last thing they'd expect from us also. Obviously, the key for us defensively will be to withstand the onslaught from the first 25-30mins.

19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    As stated we dont need route one to cause them trouble but still i expect united to start with our Heskey.. I dont think Pogba will start and he will be useless if there are no runners moving into box as we saw against Valencia Pogba Perreira improved after we injected the pace and players willing to engage in intricate passing ..

20. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it's been mentioned previously, the one thing I do miss van Gaal for, besides his handling of young players, is his approach and mindset of big/rivalry games. He understood their meaning and was always determined to have the team to try and win them, no matter where we stood in the table or our form going into them.

22. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Look at this: https://twitter.com/Devils_Latest
    Video link of Pogba just wish Lingard's Happy B-day. He just fooling and dancing around, talking and acting like a clown. Sorry, I personally don't like Pogba, he is a clown to me.

It seem like they (MU players) just don't care anymore don't they? Is this how they practice for a hard upcoming match?

I guess the only good thing out of this is at least some players are in a good mood (sure seem like Pogba is). Or they probably already giving up, they just don't dam-n care anymore.

sigh.. Pogba just irk me so much.

tbh: A star status and given how much MU paid for Pogba, look at how he miss that sitter in the game against Valencia? He better da-mn show up and perform better on Sunday.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 Ashur, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018

I get it now, professional football players are robots (or children in elementary school)...

24. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This was actually really funny. I imagined they are used to it. Otherwise if someone walked in the room like that I would freak out and get under a desk or something. Lol

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 Ashur, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    It's pretty funny to me as well and I'm positive the players are used to that from Pep: he gives a new definition to the word intensity....
    Obviously though, this was posted in response to the claim about how players like Pogs can't apparently have any fun, especially to wish a teammate (and a friend) a happy birthday.
    It's easy to forget that those guys are essentially kids still (I remember how I was in my mind 20s). They're human beings, with lives outside of football and the idea that they're not allowed to live their lives grates my nerves, if we're being honest.

At any rate, we've got some interesting team news ahead of tomorrow: Martial, Smalling, Lindelof, Shaw, Darmian and Dalot have all travelled with the team and are in the provisional squad, and could be in contention for the final 18.

Deadtigers repped this.