EPL FanZone on Sky vs. EPL FanZone on FSC [R implied]

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by TOTC, Mar 6, 2007.

1. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I just wonder something -- does every EPL game get FanZone treatment (i.e., two supporters yelling into microphones)? And does FSC pick just one to show on Thursday night?

They're broadcasting Sunday's cataclysmic West Ham collapse at the hands of Spurs this week (11:30 ET) and it's almost too convenient. I'd like to hear what the louts are going to scream at each other when the seven goals are scored.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 times out of 10, if not all 10, they pick the Sunday 11 AM ET game. They've recently aired FA Cup matches.

And yes, it is a fun broadcast. FSC tried it for one MLS match, but apparently it didn't fly.

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    We have a lot of talkers on this board, I'm surprised we don't yet have MLS Fan Zone on a regular basis.

Hell, why not have European Champions' League FanZone? Have rapid-fire Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, and Turkish being thrown about?

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe FSC doesn't want to have to cover travel costs for 5 announcers? (3 pros, 2 fanzone)???

IMO, any MLS FanZone would have to be live on SAP to properly work.

Wouldn't CL FanZone have to go through ESPN or Setanta, since they have rights to that stuff?

Maybe FSC could do "Milan in Europe" FanZone, but once again, it would probably be delayed.

(I'd LOVE to know why it's delayed... Does FSC think that it'll diminish the job of their paid talent?) It'd be so much better if it was live, or at least delayed by less than over 4 days.

5. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Nick and Steven demo'd a video game (they played Chelsea v. Liverpool, natch) and they talked trash like FanZone. Played to a 4-all draw.

6. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    All premiership games that make it on TV over here have fanzone. you hit the red button on the sky remote and then you can choose a variety of options. every match has multiple camera angles you can watch from, the end, the side cameras, etc... you can watch with live statistic updates on the screen, one option is to watch highlights of the match in case you missed stuff, and one option is fan zone.

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That's because the idiots on the MLS Fanzone were trying to call the game professionally instead of slagging off on each other for 90 minutes.....

I hope MLS Fanzone makes a comeback, but with some witty and sarcastic supporters, not straight laced duechbags.....

8. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is so clean. They need to have that here!

Imagine you are a Dynamo Texian Army member who usually watches the games from the end and you are in the hospital you could watch the game from the end just like you were in the middle of the game.

Of if you were constipated and you missed the first half but you didn't want to rewatch the first half you could just get the highlights.

Sky > American TV

9. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Even better: lube the supporters up a bit before the game begins -- if you know what I mean.

"THERE'S A PENAL!!!!!!"

"YAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    exactly!

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I love watching the commercial on FSC for this, including the guy with the deer-in-the-headlights look when the other one jumps around in the booth!

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Now, for the record:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=fanzone+ham&search=Search

I love YouTube!!!

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  14. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Did anyone catch last week's Arsenal-Chelsea game? The Chelsea guy was singing during the broadcast! And he also made some comments about women that could have gotten Imus fired. Guess that's the difference between the US and UK...

16. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Gang, looks like EPL Fan Zone is going to be a permanent Monday night fixture. The guys last night "announcing" Liverpool-Chelsea were absolute wackos.

I love it!

17. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Are they going to air it on 8:30 to 10:00 pm from now on? They used to air it after FSR which is too late for me.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed yesterday's fanzone, but the first one (of Community Shield) was aired at 8 PM ET and 8 PM PT.

Hopefully this will be the rule and not the exception.

19. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutly F#ckin Awesome. NFL needs to start doing that sh#t. Get a fanzone, choose your angles...they have the $$ to do it. Maybe someday soccer will follow.

20. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I have the duo to do it, too ... Boomer Esiason and Shannon Sharpe. They were filmed on an HBO segment of RealSports bantering about the games going on while The NFL Today guys were off-camera. It was just like FanZone.

Charles Barkley, Ernie Johnson, and Kenny Smith would be ace at doing this for NBA games, too.

21. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPL fan zone. I do not understand their English at all! :p

22. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    I caught part of the Liverpool/Chelsea fanzone. I had to see the reaction on the completely unjustified penalty. I can't believe the Liverpool supporter didn't go nuts. Unfortunately the Chelsea guy did and came off like an ass, proclaiming how great his team is. Just because they were gifted the tie by a terrible call?

Anyway, I think this concept (multiple angles and commentators) would do quite well with NFL, NASCAR, and MLS fans. I'm surprised one of the dish companies aren't doing it.

23. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I love the goofballs as well as their reactions to the messages ... calling the Chelsea players "tarmacers," which means that I guess the roadworks crews in England wear yellow and black?

Whatever happened to the highlighter-green kits?

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Last week, when Bolton was playing West Ham, one of the Fanzone guys named Phil Heys was so amped when Wanderers scored a late equalizer, he knocked one of his teeth out with his microphone. One of his quotes, "This is costing me a bloody crown, now!"

Funny as all get up!

25. peacock1

peacock1 New Member

Nov 26, 2007