PBP: EPL - Brighton & Hove Albion FC vs Manchester United FC - Aug 19, 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

Competition: English Premier League
    Venue: AMEX Stadium
    Time: 16:00 (BST), 11:00 (EST)
    Channels: Sky Sports Main Event(UK), Sky Sports Premier League(UK), MUTV(UK), Telemundo Deportes en vivo(US), NBCSN(US), Flow Sports Premier(JA), SuperSport 3 Africa(Zambia)

Brighton & Hove Albion injuries: Bruno (hamstring), Izquierdo (knock), Andone (knock)
    Manchester United injuries: Valencia (calf), Rojo (knock), Dalot (knee), Matić (abdominal), Herrera(hamstring)

Brighton & Hove Albion last 6: L
    Manchester United last 6: W

Brighton & Hove Albion last result:
    0-2 away loss to Watford
    Manchester United last result: 2-1 home win against Leicester City

Manchester United league standing: 7th
    Brighton & Hove Albion league standing: 18th

Last League Encounter:
    1-0 away loss at AMEX Stadium (Mar 2018)

Brighton & Hove Albion last starting XI (4-4-1-1):

Ryan, Bruno(c), Duffy, Dunk, Bernardo, Knockaert, Stephens, Pröpper, March, Groß, Murray

Manchester United last starting XI (4-3-3):
    de Gea, Darmian, Bailly, Lindelöf, Shaw, Pereira, Fred, Pogba(c), Mata, Rashford, Sánchez

=====================
    can we go 2 for 2? Lukaku to start? Martial to see the pitch?

Sánchez HAS to do better. especially if he isn't going to be dropped. he's talked a lot of good shit in preseason about winning trophies and big signings of which he is one. time to put up or shut up. you're 30 and we can't wait.

let's get it

Deadtigers and jnielsen repped this.
  2. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The home opener for Brighton, but nevertheless it should be a slaughter. If Sanchez cannot perform at something resembling a high level Jose should reconsider Sanchez's automatic starter status.

I have this one going 0-4.

3. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    young for darmian. lingard for mata.

4. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Martial for Mata, slide Sanchez to the right.

I like the Young Darmian move.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've been thinking for quite some time that Jose should try Young at RB. It seems like he got automatically slotted in at LB because he always played on the left as a winger (and in part because Shaw has been such shit that we've been desperate at LB), but inverted makes far less sense for FB. Giving Shaw a run in the team makes sense and Young should be pretty good as an attacking RB, where Valencia gave us absolutely nothing last season. To wit, 31 games in the league, 1 assist, while almost always being given tons of space down the wing because of someone tucking in ahead of him.

It's obviously premature to anoint Shaw as a starter (when I was originally thinking about moving Young to the right I was foolishly assuming that one of the richest clubs in the world were going to find a way to sign a desperately needed LB), but at least until Valencia gets back we should try this and I don't think Valencia should be considered an automatic starter on his return depending on Shaw's form.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My preferred lineup and formation for this game would be to go 4-4-2, with a diamond in midfield. Provided that everyone is fit (understand there are questions about Bailly), the lineup, I'd want to see is the following:

Dave
    AY. Bailly. Lindelof. Shaw
    AP
    Fred. Pogba
    Lingard
    Lukaku. Sanchez

As mentioned a while back, I'd just want to see us try it on for size and find out of we can make it work. I think we can: in the process we'll play Sanchez in what appears to be his best position (plus one where he does not drop as deep so often).
    We'd still our mid 3 in there, which I'm really excited about. But most importantly, we'd have Lingard and his work rate and movement in his favorite and most effective spot, centrally behind the forwards. He'd be another outlet available to us in attack.
    If they're just allowed to play, this could be a sharp and efficient team in my estimation. The width with these FBs is not ideal, but at least we'd be looking to maximize our strengths elsewhere and making the most of them. Longshot probably, but this is what I'd like to see.

7. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It must be assumed Brighton will sit back and pray for the draw. Nick a set piece, our usual bane for years now, if they can.

I wouldn't worry about trying to flood the last third with extra bodies from the back, thus leaving us exposed to a counter for a ludicrous goal.

Sharper finishing from Lukaku, better short passing and movement off the ball from Sanchez should see us through comfortably.

Stick with Lindelof, who put in a very credible shift against aBrighton will present. Stick with Darian and Shaw. Not sure what's going in with Matic but let's stick with Fred and Andreas. Martial for Rashford if Martial is ready to go in Jose's eyes.

8. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Given how Brighton made fools of us last season I'm not sure why we'd be expecting to coast to an away victory. It's entirely within our capabilities to get pressed out of the game again.

jnielsen and benni... repped this.
  9. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    jose would never go for it but wr would have the tools for france's tilted 4-4-2: fred tucking in the matuidi role, rashford stretching the defense in the mbappe role, sanchez for grizou, lukaku for giroud.

---------sanchez - lukaku
    fred - ap - pogba - rashford
    shaw - lindelof - bailly - young
    ----------------de gea

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Why not just play this same personnel in a 433?

11. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i would like sanchez and lukaku playing off eachother. it could be done in a 433 if you completely abandon the left wing and ask for rashford to stretch the defense out wide.

benni... repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me that if the goal is to play Sanchez and Lukaku together and off another upfront (which I'm definitely in favor of personally), then going with the 4-4-2, with a midfield diamond submitted above or the 3-5-2 would be the way to go.
    At least, with the 3 at the back formation, we can claim some experience in it, having used it a couple of times during preseason (with reasonable success).

13. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jahanbakhsh hat-trick, while Pogba bags a brace and Martial and Lukaku contribute with one a piece.

14. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fair enough. What's your prediction?

15. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Iranian influenced.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  16. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I’m expecting a deeply unsatisfying 1 goal win. Any more and it’s because Brighton aren’t up to speed.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Because Sanchez can't play as a LW in Jose's system. He's too wasteful and always tries to play a final ball even when he's in our end. The closer we put him to the opponents goal the better. He needs to be played as a CF or SS.

benni... repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is one of the many reasons he was a terrible pickup. He’s got to be Batman, not robin. In theory he works quite well as a foil for Lukaku except that Rome isn’t really all about clever quick interplay (he isn’t terrible,but it isn’t his strength). It also would mean we can’t play our best attacking player (Martial) in his best role.

The best fit might be something like

—————-Rome————-Sánchez
    Martial
    ————Pogba——-Fred——-AP

It won’t work and would be reliant on width from RB with AP playing RM/RCM and acting as cover for RBand holding in midfield. Against most teams it would work but Jose would never go for it and doesn’t encourage the type of off the ball movement that would make it effective.

jeff070 repped this.
  20. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    sanchez can obviously play lw. he did benefit from oezil finding him in good positions so that he didn't have to come short all the time.

we're still sending long balls his way at the moment (wtf?!). hopefully that will change soon with ap fred fred settling in their roles.

21. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    id love to see a diamond too but ive now accepted that we just dont have the full backs to make it work. 3-5-2 would be v interesting.

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sanchez can’t play LW better than Martial,but that’s besides the point. Sanchez thrives on their movement. We don’t have that. Also, he doesn’t play a position at all really. He just wanders around.

23. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    dude, you really said with a straight face that alexis alejandro sanchez sanchez cant play lw better than martial? lets just stop there lol.

24. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A distinct possibility. After a deserved but unsatisfying win over Leicester City it's entirely possible Mourinho will have us sit back and defend a 0-1 lead through full time and take his three points home.

We'll have to see whether Brighton play to limit the damage to a 0-1 defeat or whether they go for it once they're down. Should they push bodies forward in search of the equalizer we'll score again.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm expecting a big game from Sanchez this weekend, for the simple reason he is due after his pretty poor display vs Leicester.
    Brighton will be tight at the back, but by rights, Sanchez should have the measure of those players. Will still be way too early to write him off, if he does not deliver, but worries/concerns will not be out of place.
    For our sake though, I want to see the guy rebound.