EPL 2018/19 predictions thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JamesA, Aug 6, 2018.

1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Alrighty lads. It's that time again.

Top 8 and then 3 relegated.

The rest too if you want. But meh, does anyone really care? Lol

2. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As it stands (and we may still see a flurry of activity):

Tier 1: City
    *Huge gap*
    Tier 2: Pool
    *Small/medium gap*
    Tier 3: United, Spurs, Chelsea
    *small gap*
    Tier 4: Arsenal

I'd be pretty shocked if City didn't win the title. Maybe, maybe if Pool roll really high and City have injury issues in the middle of the park (pretty surprised they haven't added a depth DM this summer). Can't see anyone else getting there. Then I see a scrap for the final top 4 spots with a lot still to be decided before the deadline. Forced to pick I think we make it along with Chelsea, but I do think it will be very close. Don't sleep on Arsenal - they've actually done some business this summer and if Emery can fix the defense even a little they still have good attacking players.

I like West Ham to maybe jump up and grab 7th or 8th along with boring pick Everton. Felipe Anderson is too good for that level if he's healthy and Pellegrini is a very good manager, even if not flashy.

The bottom will be very interesting this year I think.The league is flattening out below the top 6 with the bottom teams becoming so much more financially secure and that leads to situations where Burnley can finish 7th one year and not look all that safe the next (currently only +400 to be relegated). I'll say Fulham, Huddersfield and Cardiff look the most likely but I could easily see all 3 of them staying up. I have no actual idea what will happen down here.

3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fully agree with your tiers. I don't see Pool as a serious threat to City only because they'll start dropping points to teams outside the top 6 after Christmas. The style Klopp plays is conducive to tournaments where his team can beat any other on a given day. But his style is not built for long seasons. Too much high press ends up running his team into the ground and come the final 3rd of the season they gas out. He's done we'll to add more depth and that's likely why he was targeting guys like Fekir who plays a position where they're already strong. He knows he needs City-like depth to play his style all season long.

thenamestsam repped this.
  4. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Totally agree. I think they might have a better shot at the CL than the league this year. Their first 11 is really, really good though and because of that I have to feel that if something whacky were to happen to City they'd be in poll position. As you say though City has so much depth (with DM the only real exception) that it's hard to foresee exactly what circumstances could derail them. I think they're more likely to win the league by 10+ points again than they are to finish 2nd or lower.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Predictions...

1st - City
    2nd - Pool
    3rd - Chelsea
    4th - Spurs
    5th - United
    6th - Arsenal
    7th - West Ham
    8th - Wolves

Relegated...

Cardiff, Brighton, Huddersfield

jeff070 repped this.
  6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be surprised if there was a huge gap between City and Liverpool. I think if there's a huge gap, something has gone wrong for Pool... which is possible! But you'd have to predict two of their front 3 getting injured or something. Barring that kind of setback, I don't see City replicating their wild success last season and I don't think LFC will drop anywhere near that many points with their settled defense and recently-acquired depth.

However, generally City are still clearly deeper and have a style more conducive to winning leagues... and thus are the solid favorite. So I don't disagree much.

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Changing my 7th and 8th spot predictions to Everton and West Ham. Everton absolutely killed it today with Mina, Gomes, and Bernard.

8. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    1. Man Utd(I am the eternal optimist)
    2. Man City
    3. Spurs
    4. Arse
    5. Chelsea
    6. Everton
    7. Dippers
    8. West Ham
    18.Cardiff
    19.Southampton
    20.Watford

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You say optimism, I say delusional. Your positivity is too bright, it hurts my eyes. Come down into the darkness with the rest of us.

Father Ted and United 16 repped this.
  10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Were finishing 6th.

Tonttenham at least have young players and can expect a natural progression.

Arsenal have a good manager and sign exacty what they needed in Torreira.

Chelsea dont have to focus on Europe and have the best player in the league to bail them out.

11. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    City
    'pool
    Spuds
    Us
    Arse
    Chelski

BTW people who are too scared to make a prediction, but come along later with 20/20 hindsight are low-lifes.

12. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #12 Father Ted, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    No no no I have to stay positive otherwise I won't bother watching the games. Of course I'll probably change my mind by Sept.

My rational is we were crap last year and still finished second. More seasoned second years for Lukaku and especially Sanchez. Pogba/Martial/Rash were poor for period last year so they have the ability to be more consistent.

I don't believe in the Liverpool hype. They overachieved by getting to the CL final with an England-type easy run of games while not having to focus on other competitions. Also, Salah will suffer a big drop and by Christmas their fans will be moaning about Klopp.

Man City had such an easy time of it last year and always had a good gap so they were never under pressure after Christmas. They will probably focus more on the CL this year so that combined with us and a couple other teams being better, I think be about 10 point less than last year.

Spurs, no team improvements, moving to a new stadium still cause them issues.

Chelsea and Arse both new managers and players will take some time to adjust so I'll expect more of a challenge next season.

So there.

But you're right I'm probably delusional!