Enough is Enough, Ryan Meara should be our starting goalie over Luis Robles.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Elvis Minaya Garcia, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Elvis Minaya Garcia

Aug 24, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I have had it with Luis Robles. I think he is often caught off positions, makes extremely immature mistakes and is very inconsistent. We have lost many games thanks to Luis. We need a reliable keeper who shows respect and at this point Ryan Meara deserves a chance. I never understood why Ryan lost his starting job in first place. He had a couple bad games, but overall he is much better than infamous Luis Robles. So Mike Petke, wake up and make the switch.

2. jtrex

jtrex Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Providence
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would support this

Elvis Minaya Garcia repped this.
  3. Elvis Minaya Garcia

Aug 24, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Last week lost to DC was the last drop the filled the glass, Luis needs to start warming bench again. He was caught off position in both goals vs DC. Meary would have definitely handled that better.

4. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Being injured for over a year doesn't usually do much good for holding on to a starting spot. Robles has had a few bad games this year but he's also single handedly been responsible for turning a few potential losses into ties and potential ties into wins. I feel like it would take a few consecutive disasters, plus Meara playing amazingly during CCL games to force Petke to make a switch for league play.

5. Elvis Minaya Garcia

Aug 24, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

I have had enough already, Meara is the man for the playoffs. If you put Robles, we will be send home in the first round.

6. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    With our back line, I'm not sure Manuel Neuer could get us through the first round.

I do feel bad for Meara though, he'd be a starter on a lot of MLS teams.

7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's funny how one inconvenient, but hardly surprising loss sends people over the edge. Everyone has their pet complaint, in which to invest all their hatred and self-loathing. Gotta love the web.

9. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robles has been great all year, even making diving save at DC going to his right. Not his fault our defense has lapses. Guy is potential US National Team roster guy. Not Robles's fault. Germany's GK would suck with our team right now.

10. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    Isn't Robles in the running for Team MVP this year? How many matches has earned us points with big saves???
    Ridiculous assertion to bench him at this point.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  11. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    Please fast forward to the 69th minute of the Seattle game and ask yourself if you still want Meara.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  12. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Robles, bad? You watching the same MLS season as everyone else?

kokoplus10 repped this.
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://nypost.com/2017/09/10/firefighter-dads-911-experience-weighs-on-red-bulls-goalkeeper/

Meara said. “I’ve tried to use any opportunity I can get to prove my worth to this team — this year using this Open Cup run as a way to prove my worth to the team and teammates.

“You always want to show what you can do. And the best way to do that is to help your team win games.’’

Meara said he has no idea which way Marsch is leaning.

“It’s out of my hands, but I feel like I’ve done everything I can do — both in training and in these Open Cup matches — to prove my point of why I deserve to play,” Meara said.

The right thing for Marsch to do is start Meara, let him finish the job he started

14. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I say start Meara. He's earned it.

kokoplus10 and msilverstein47 repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York Red Bulls‏Verified account @NewYorkRedBulls 22m22 minutes ago
    Jesse Marsch announces Ryan Meara will start in the @opencup final.

16. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, how did that work out last night in Open Cup. Luis is best GK in League.

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meara did not lose the game.

msilverstein47 and Woodrow repped this.
  18. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There is no frikking way that Meara gets to start over Robles in MLS, period. Unless, he goes all Tonya Harding on Robles, the best (and worst) he can expect is a trade to a decent club and fond farewell. I love the guy and there's no question he is starting quality, he got Pipped by Robles, and that's just too bad, but not a good enough reason to hand him back the starting job. It sucks for him, he's done absolutely nothing wrong, it's just the nature of the game, and he can't afford to wait around another year or two for Robles to maybe lose his form.

19. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryan's 26. Robles 33. If Ryan gets a chance to be a starter at another club, he should take it. There's no indication that Robles is letting up anytime soon and he's still young (for a GK).

kokoplus10 and Woodrow repped this.
  20. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marsch on @Rmeara18: "It’s also the way he played, the saves he made, the clarity he had on the field. Like his transition into the team, it was like he’s been there for years.”

Woodrow repped this.