English Premier League 16-17 (R) assignments and discussion

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Rufusabc, Aug 6, 2016.

1. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the replay of Chelsea-Man U and about 25' in, wondering how many would've called handling in the run of play that led to Man U's early goal and also, wonder how many would've kept a larger eye on play to catch Diego Costa's shove - the commentators talked yellow but if I'd seen that at the youth level, I'd go straight red and would want to understand why it isn't red at the professional level.

Typing this up quickly but will try to find video after I've rudely stuffed my face with Easter brunch/lunch/early dinner. :)

2. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Not sure what the ref saw, but it seemed 100% handling to me.

jayhonk repped this.
  3. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you see the handling about 49 seconds into this clip (finally):

Yeah, in a youth game I gotta think I would've called it.

Can't find footage of the Costa shove but it was a shove in the back of a Man U player (Bailly?) VERY lucky in my opinion not to have seen red. The commentators even remarked "know what as a player makes you madder? That he's offering to help you up."

Gotta love the beautiful game sometimes...

4. Vinnydabody

Vinnydabody Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Even worse was the collision between Costa and Rojo in the Man U penalty area, where Costa launched an elbow into Rojo on the ground. Add to that a couple of blatant Costa dives and Madley had a rough first half. Very chippy.

5. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JUST saw that on replay a few minutes ago - wish the powers that be at the Premier League would put a stop to that kind of stuff, esp. if they won't allow the "street justice" that used to be served on folks that did that. Can you imagine if Jose would've let Fellaini out of his cage after that? That would've been old school, but nowadays it could've been Fellaini with the RC, and Costa playing the victim.

6. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't see red card. I understand I may be in the minority here. I think this is certainly reckless and most definitely misconduct. however, the premier league never shies away from physical play. I see a defender step in front of a forward, did he have to put his hand on his back? no. Is he endangering the safety of an opponent? I think that is a bit of stretch. Is he using excessive for when making the challenge? The contact is made to the left shoulder blade of Bailly, a one handed push to the back as the opponent was stopping.

Adult or youth match most certainly I have a whistle and I am certainly cautioning. I don't see excessive force or endangering the safety of an opponent.

7. sm. town ref

sm. town ref Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you are going to send Costa off here, it would be for VC and not SFP. The criteria would be slightly different. I have no problem with Red.

No play on the ball
    Shoulder to the back
    Sole purpose to send a message and drive his opponent into the post. Nothing much at this level happens be accident.

SccrDon repped this.
  8. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see the argument for yellow on this one, and frankly at game speed I might end up in that direction. With benefit of multiple replays, angles, etc. it's Costa with no attempt whatsoever to play the ball and you can see him lean into shoving Bailly.

You're right, at the Premier League level they want yellow on this. My first thought was "that was really close to the goalpost, no chance at the ball whatsoever" - I'd at least be considering red in my mind. Suppose it would be Orange for me.

9. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something similar actually happened on my U19B state cup game last season. Attacker challenges for the ball and bets beaten by the GK. So instead of slowing down and avoiding the collision, he keeps going and ends up pushing the GK into a Goal post. I go Yellow, but the fouled team wants Red. After I beckon on the trainer to check on the GK, I pull the defending captain on the side and explain to him why it's a yellow not red. He seemed to accept my explanation.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  10. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if the push from Costa puts Bailly in to the goalpost and he is seriously injured? If Costa doesn't get punished for things like this, he is going to keep doing it. And if refs don't recognize this type of behavior and punish it accordingly, the players will take matters into their own hands. At this level, we are talking about a player's livelihood. Nobody wants some jerk out their trying to to hurt people and possibly ending their careers.

11. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmm well what if Costa pushed Bailly into De Gea as he was grabbing the ball? What if costa used two hands instead of one? what if costa bit his ear? we can all speculate on the what-if's. I am simply judging the information shown in the video. I agree this behavior should be sanctioned. Not denying that at all. I think it is a bit of a stretch to say that player's livelihoods are jeopardized, and I can see the frustration players have playing with and against Costa.

I agree it would be for VC not SFP. The criteria is different. That's why I used the consideration endangering the safety of the opponent and is he using excessive force for when making the challenge? I left out the brutality consideration. my bad!
    I disagree that Costa gave a shoulder to the back of Bailly in my view it looked like an open hand.
    Im not sure what the sole purpose of "the message" was... I'm not judging his intent. I agree a lot of stuff doesn't happen by accident it simply looks like a push get out of my way, sneakily hidden of course. Judging the actions its just a reckless push.

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #562 EvanJ, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

Hull City won 2-0. The game was scorless when Hull City's Omar Baye Niasse got a straight red card in the 25th minute. I agree with Kyle Martino that it shouldn't have been a straight red. Martino said that the red card could have been because Niasse's foot was in the air, but he thought that Niasse's foot being in the air was okay because the ball was bouncing. I think it was a foul with one foot and not with excessive force.

Edit: I agree with Kyle Martino that Everton should have been given a penalty kick for being held by a West Ham United player. It finished 0-0.

13. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I have little issue with the red card. That high, at that speed and studs first means he can have no complaints IMO. His studs even managed to make a cut in the sock of the guy that got tackled.

Unfortunately shirt pulling is all too accepted and common during corners but I agree that this was blatant enough to deserve being called.

14. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I guess the FA cup can go in here too. There were a few issues in yesterdays semifinal between Man C and Arsenal.

Some penalty shouts, none of them called, one for each team in the first half and 2 or 3 for Arsenal in the second (or possibly extra time). Not much where made of the later ones (crowded out by the overall level of things happening I guess) but the first ones where discussed excessively at half-time by the commentators and thus they became the main point among fans too. One was a slight contact low down on the leg of Aguero, Webb argued the no-call was OK at half-time but changed that slightly after the game, and the other was a grab/pull at the hip on Sanchez that everyone agreed was a foul. IMO the one on Aguero was one of those I'd like to be called but wasn't surprised that it wasn't and the one on Sanchez could possibly fall under the trifling heading as he was never getting anywhere near that over hit cross.

The big one though was a cross that was hit pretty much parallel to the goal line and that the AR ruled as having gone out of play before coming back in (and it ended up in goal before the whistle). I was surprised it took that long to call initially as it looked like it should have been out on first view. But of course replays showed that the whole of the ball was never over the line so a good goal got ruled out. The AR got a lot of stick for it at half-time and in the media afterwards and of course the calls for VAR's came back in force (would be a good VAR situation though as it would be a quick and factual decision to make).

15. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't get any closer than that, and to give any grief to the AR is simply crazy.
    As for VAR, if the camera was an inch to the left or right, that could be a totally different call. Can you guarantee the camera was exactly centered?

The only way you can get a call like that right is with goal line tech.

16. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    As much as I agree that it was a close call I also agree with the main criticism, if you aren't sure then don't call it.

If you use a VAR system then surely having a camera exactly placed on each goal line would be a requirement.

While I'd favour increasing the area covered by GLT I can see why it isn't popular, too high a cost for too few calls.

socal lurker repped this.
  17. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    If VAR was to be used to judge balls in/out over the goal line we also should use it for balls in/out over the touchline, at least close to the goal line. Could have the very same situation with a ball very nearly out of touch near the goal line, crossed, and a ball in the net. No difference. So where would using VAR stop? Yes, too high a cost for too few calls.

18. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    It seems that every time there is a close call the pundits come out with the 2nd quote. Their assumption is that the Ref wasn't really sure. :(

19. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yes and Webb used that very point to help soften the critique somewhat. But that still only helps the AR a little because no matter how sure he was he was still factually wrong.

20. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    While I'm bringing up the FA cup there was an incident in the semi-final between Chelsea and Tottenham too that was discussed.

Atkinson called the penalty and despite there being no contact I have heard very little critique of the call (apart from spurs fans ofc :D). A bit surprising, I thought there would be more made of it. Commentators and pundits seemed OK with it too.

21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Was that called on the basis of an attempt to trip? (Kinda like Ramos's attempt to hospitalize Messi yesterday?)

22. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this incident from the Liverpool match more interesting:

https://streamable.com/w6n08

Defender kicks the back side of the non-shooting plant leg of an attacker, causing him to stumble and delay a shot from 8 yards away with a decent angle on goal. Subsequent shot gets blocked by a different defender. No call.

We wonder why attackers embellish or exaggerate the severity of fouls. This is why. It's a 100% penalty if Courtinho goes down. It should be anyway.

ArgylleRef, Thezzaruz, akindc and 2 others repped this.
  23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    The only thing that might explain it is angle -- from the wrong angle, this may have looked like the attacker just caught his toe in the turf rather than being kicked. But I agree it should have been called.

24. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Apparently the FA agrees with you, Niasse has had the suspension rescinded.

EvanJ repped this.
  25. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Sanchez got a yellow card for this incident. Fuchs, the ball thrower, who was already on a yellow, got nothing. Not sure what the restart was--did anyone watch live? There are potentially a host of problems here.

857332451047329793 is not a valid tweet id