English Premier League 16-17 (R) assignments and discussion

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Rufusabc, Aug 6, 2016.

1. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would say that the quarterfinal refs are not the top 4. I think that Bobby Madley is better than Dean, and Madley had an excellent showing during the Bournemouth-West Ham game today. Dean is usually inconsistent and usually doesn't call as many fouls as he needs to, sometimes letting his game get out of hand.

2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Just noticed that Liverpool's home side technical area is drawn about five yards closer to halfway than the away side's. Is that normal? And legal?

3. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Allow me to introduce you to Taunton Town of the Southern League Div 1 South & West: http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/images/grounds/tauntontown.jpg

Yes, that's the home bench in line with the top of the box.

As far as can tell, it's pretty common for benches to be different distances from half. There are definitely no rules against it in any of the competitions I referee.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  4. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Typical.

5. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Should be a fun post-game interview with Mourinho...
    Oliver gives a 2YC, to MU's Hererra, and it appears the second was UB for being the latest of a bunch of different players persistently fouling Hazard.
    The TV folks say it was clear that Oliver warned Smalling, MU's captain, right before that happened...take that as you may.
    Could have been a YC on its own, but I would have been surprised.

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    The 2YC was correct and well-deserved. But it took too long for Oliver to recognize and deal with MU's obvious game plan, which was to disrupt and foul Chelsea players, especially Hazard. He probably should have issued cautions earlier in the game which might have put a stop to it earlier. In any event he made it quite clear to the captain that he had had enough of the persistent fouling. Herrera was just an idiot, and probably was thinking that since he already had a YC, he would not get a 2nd for a foul (usually they expect it on the third) especially in the first half of a FA Cup quarterfinal.
    So kudos to Oliver for the courage to send Herrera off, because now he will get the blame from everyone for causing MU to lose, but by better, more preventative proactive refereeing, he might have prevented it.

PH

frankieboylampard and akindc repped this.
  7. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Have no issues with that second caution, MU were targeting Hazard and the referee warned them about it so... Don't think the first one Herrera got was even a foul though so that makes the red a bit harsh.
    What will get Oliver in trouble with media/fans is the fact that there were a lot of fouls in the second half that also deserved cautions (and possibly a red for Valencia) where Oliver chose not to use his cards and that will make the red card look worse than it is.
    Also will be interesting to see if there is anything retrospective done about what looked like a stamp by Rojo.

8. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    #483 Barciur, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    A question. Is the targetting of the player and cautioning for "a foul on a player who has been repeatedly foul" (as per our Advice to the Referees) something that is written as such in Europe as well? I wasn't quite able to find thatanywhere, so was curious, or would that just fall under showing lack of respect for the game?

9. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Oh, the first one was a foul and a card. It was meant to hit him hard. United didn't have any weapons and with the replays eliminated at this point in the competition they had no bus to park and wait for their players to get healthy or off suspension.

Pierre Head and colman1860 repped this.
  10. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The red part might be true, I just have a hard time seeing that someone that standing still with both feet planted is doing something wrong when he gets run into.

11. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    He planted himself there deliberately with the intent to block the run, knowing Hazard had no chance or time to avoid him. Very cynical professional play. Taken with everything else that MU were doing, it was all part of the same game plan.

Oh, and I agree with part of your previous post that Oliver could have and certainly should have issued additional cards.

PH

12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Another week...another set of appointments:

ENGLAND
    Premier League (MD 29)

18.03.17 13:30 CET
    West Bromwich Albion - Arsenal
    Referee: Neil Swarbrick
    Assistant Referees: Scott Ledger, Constantine Hatzidakis
    Fourth Official: Kevin Friend

18.03.17 16:00 CET
    Crystal Palace - Watford
    Referee: Martin Atkinson
    Assistant Referees: Jake Collin, Gary Beswick
    Fourth Official: Keith Stroud

Everton - Hull City
    Referee: Paul Tierney
    Assistant Referees: Harry Lennard, Mike McDonough
    Fourth Official: Craig Pawson

Stoke City - Chelsea
    Referee: Anthony Taylor
    Assistant Referees: Adam Nunn, Richard West
    Fourth Official: Lee Probert

Sunderland - Burnley
    Referee: Robert Madley
    Assistant Referees: Peter Kirkup, Marc Perry
    Fourth Official: Mike Jones

West Ham - Leicester City
    Referee: Roger East
    Assistant Referees: Darren Cann, Mark Scholes
    Fourth Official: Andre Marriner

18.03.17 18:30 CET
    AFC Bournemouth - Swansea City
    Referee: Mike Dean
    Assistant Referees: Simon Long, Ian Hussin
    Fourth Official: Graham Scott

19.03.17 13:00 CET
    Middlesbrough - Manchester United
    Referee: Jonathan Moss
    Assistant Referees: Simon Bennett, Edward Smart
    Fourth Official: Robert Madley

19.03.17 15:15 CET
    Tottenham Hotspur - Southampton
    Referee: Andre Marriner
    Assistant Referees: Simon Beck, Andy Garratt
    Fourth Official: Kevin Friend

19.03.17 17:30 CET
    Manchester City - Liverpool
    Referee: Michael Oliver
    Assistant Referees: Stuart Burt, Stephen Child
    Fourth Official: Craig Pawson

I am thinking Michael Oliver is the new clear No. 1.

13. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Quite right, too. Really enjoy watching him referee. His head is on a constant swivel, and accordingly he seems to anticipate very well.

On a related note, I suspect Clattenburg's impending departure has been well-received by the select group. I saw one of the top referees (not Oliver) speak a few months ago, and he dismissively referred to MC as "Mr Tattoo man" throughout the evening. He also mentioned a small group of referees he is close with/meets up for training with, which seemed to include most of the top names, but not MC.

14. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard elsewhere that there isn't much love lost for Clattenburg among his colleagues. I think this reinforces the bind the FA might find itself in if they are essentially held hostage over "their" World Cup spot for 2018. Going to be fascinating to see how this unfolds.

15. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Apparently they do respect his refereeing abilities but not his human qualities. It was the same with Graham Poll but for different reasons. Poll would always run down his colleagues with criticism but it seems Clattenburg is just not very sociable and friendly.

Similar issues are found among FIFA referees in several countries, including the USA! It is just that these people are not as well publicized as the EPL referees.
    It is a very competitive business, and as such will attract a certain type of individual to it, not unlike some other areas of life.

PH

16. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I will say that our NJ FIFA is one of the nicest guys I have had the pleasure of meeting.

Pierre Head repped this.
  17. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FIFA from our state barely acknowledges that he is from here. :(

18. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Did anyone see red card in the Everton v. Hull game? I'm not so much concerned with the red card offense as I am with the actual card. It was a circular red card that looked like a drink coaster.

19. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Yeah, I saw it. Thought it strange. I guess things just keep changing on us.

20. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite the opposite. The circular red card has existed for a long time in England. The purpose being that the distinct shape allows a referee to confirm the color of the card without looking at at. It's mostly gone out of style, and I don't like it personally, but a few top referees still use them.

21. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    For all you young guys, who think there was no soccer before 1990 or 1996, this is a left over from the days before color TV or even color photos in newspapers of games was widespread. The YC was oblong, the red card was round so that you could tell the difference. I suppose also some think that there might be some observers or players who have a color blindness issue. I must admit that I haven't seen it used for a long time though.

PH

SccrDon, Doug the Ref and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  22. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Thanks to MassRef and PH re circular red card info.

SccrDon repped this.
  23. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    And even stranger that it was used by the one of newer members of Select List, Paul Tierney. Tough red too. Looked to be a yellow with the first leg thru the ball, but the trail leg went right into the standing leg of the Everton player. That's when I thought it became red. The challenge was a tad out of control.

I'm going with color blindness.

Pierre Head repped this.
  24. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Example:

[​IMG]

Doug the Ref and Pierre Head repped this.
  25. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    At least he remembered to bring his cards with him on the pitch for that match!:D

PH

grasskamper repped this.