English Premier League 16-17 (R) assignments and discussion

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Rufusabc, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Many agree with you. It is an old traditional stadium that has not had much in the way of upgrades for a long time.
    Everton FC have been considering a variety of options for a new stadium for several years, in different locations, but for one reason or another, all have been rejected.

PH

colman1860 repped this.
  2. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    There was a report on this yesterday...they're at least trying to move forward with a new proposal again at the moment.

Pierre Head repped this.
  3. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
  4. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    However, not everyone is in favor of this it seems!:D

PH

5. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Saturday 4 March

12.30pm Manchester United v AFC Bournemouth
    Referee: Kevin Friend
    Assistants: D Cann, M Wilkes
    Fourth official: L Probert

Leicester City v Hull City
    Referee: Mike Dean
    Assistants: S Long, D Eaton
    Fourth official: N Swarbrick

Stoke City v Middlesbrough
    Referee: Craig Pawson
    Assistants: I Hussin, S Ledger
    Fourth official: P Tierney

Swansea City v Burnley
    Referee: Anthony Taylor
    Assistants: J Collin, S Bennett
    Fourth official: S Attwell

Watford v Southampton
    Referee: Jonathan Moss
    Assistants: E Smart, H Lennard
    Fourth official: J Linington

West Bromwich Albion v Crystal Palace
    Referee: Mike Jones
    Assistants: A Garratt, M Scholes
    Fourth official: M Clattenburg

5.30pm Liverpool v Arsenal (BT Sport)
    Referee: Robert Madley
    Assistants: P Kirkup, M Perry
    Fourth official: A Marriner

Sunday 5 March

1.30pm Tottenham Hotspur v Everton (Sky Sports)
    Referee: Michael Oliver
    Assistants: S Burt, C Hatzidakis

4pm Sunderland v Manchester City (Sky Sports)
    Referee: Martin Atkinson
    Assistants: S Child, A Holmes
    Fourth official: P Tierney

Monday 6 March

8pm West Ham United v Chelsea (Sky Sports)
    Referee: Andre Marriner
    Assistants: S Beck, R West
    Fourth official: M Dean

6. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The best referee in the world doesn't get anything more than a 4O slot. In a lower tier EPL game. Lots of guys are doubling up with R and 4O slots together during the week. I get that. But PGMOL has gone from assigning him to mid tier games this season, to this. What's the point? It gives the appearance that he's either just working out the string or that they are holding him to a contract. Just make a clean break.

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it could be that. But it also could be part of a grand plan to make sure he's available for key matches down the stretch. Other than Arsenal-Liverpool and Leicester-Hull, none of these scream big UCL or relegation battles; I'm sure I'm missing something but all the others seem to be mid-table battles or teams near opposite ends (Tottenham-Everton doesn't really fall into any of those three categories, unless you consider Everton a serious UCL contender). Why waste Clattenburg now on WBA-Crystal Palace now, for example, when you might need him on Crystal Palace-Hull on the penultimate game of the season? My point is we're reaching the part of the season where referees only see teams 1 or 2 more times, so you've got to start plotting that out and making strategic decisions so you have flexibility for the final few weeks. It's a relatively easy week--sort of a calm before the storm--so sitting Clattenburg this week does no harm and gives him a rest.

That said, it could just as easily be what you're saying, too--I'm merely suggesting there are two possibilities.

Unrelated, big match for Madley. For those saying that pool of top referees getting the marquee matches hasn't been expanding, there's evidence to the contrary right there.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  8. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Some good talking points around 45+1 in the MUvBOU match today.

Also, a great comment from the colour guy on a Phil Jones foul, essentially stating that anytime you go to ground as a last ditch effort, there's a good chance you'll give up a foul. Much like Esse's presenting in another thread

9. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do we know what Taylor was seeing in the 19th minute of Swansea v Burnley in the 19th minute? Looks to be handling by Burnley, on an offensive cross, but he awards PK for them instead? Here comes another opportunity for the VAR argument.

10. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It looked to me that he saw a hand and thought that it was a Swansea player, so he gave Burnley the PK. It was clearly not the correct decision and we will see how much scrutiny he comes under for this blunder.

11. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Not a great weekend for Premier League referees, I think it's fair to say.

Off the top of my head:

Swansea - Burnley: a nonsense penalty, and a foul on the winning goal
    Watford - Southampton: Each team with an offside goal
    Man U - Bournemouth: Certainly a missed SFP on Ibrahimovic's elbow, and then he forgot that he'd already booked Surman, which really shouldn't happen at that level. In my opinion Mings should have also had a VC red for the stamp on Ibra's head.
    Liverpool - Arsenal: missed 2CT for Emre Can

12. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Once again making me feel better about my own games.

13. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    colman,
    i thought the same about man utd vs bourn, friend was having a good game up until then, in my opinion. then he missed the stamp. then he didn't position himself properly to see ibra and mings go up for the ball. he should have known something dicey might happen. the elbow is the exact same thing that di biaggio did to mcbride many years ago at one of the world cups.

on the Southampton goal that wasn't called, gomes tries to dive for the ball, but the player in the offside position interferes with his ability to get to the ball

14. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I only saw the Liverpool-Arsenal match. R was very inconsistent, players not sure what would be called as a foul.
    Missed easy PK call when Liverpool player was pushed with both hands in the chest, certainly got conned out of the
    2nd YC for Can by his rolling around antics. The nearside AR (Kirkup?) also got some things wrong. He raised his flag for O/S on a Liverpool forward before the ball got to him and it had been headed away by a defender. He missed a call on a throw-in, and Origi looked O/S on the breakaway that led to the 3rd Liverpool goal.

Certainly seems like the criticism leveled at the PGMOL in social media and the press by former referees has some merit to it based on what has been going on the past few weeks.

PH

15. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    I was ok with that one actually - don't think Redmond interfered on Tadic's shot. Gomes didn't complain at all, which I think he would have had he felt Redmond blocked his dive.

Thought Gabbiadini was offside on Boufal's shot, and should have been flagged when he scored the rebound.
    And on Watford's third, the striker was offside by about a foot on the flick-on.

16. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    A bit of an update on retrospective actions on this.
    Zlatan got (and accepted) the fast track 3 games for his elbow, Mings was given 5 games for running on top of Zlatan but he has requested a hearing so it's not done yet.

I know that many don't agree but giving the usual 3 games for what clearly was an intentional and planned retaliation seems dangerous to me. Sure it wasn't Keane v Haaland bad but still.

17. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    I'm with you. I agree that stepping on Zlatan's head deserves more than the standard 3, but an intentional swinging elbow to the head (or as Zlatan put it: Mings headbutting his elbow) is capable of causing just as much harm

msilverstein47 repped this.
  18. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    The Emirates FA Cup - Quarter Finals

Mar 2017
    11 SAT
    12:15

Middlesbrough FC (First Team) v Manchester City (First Team)
    FA Cup
    Referee: Dean, Michael
    Assistant Referee: Bennett, Simon
    Assistant Referee: Perry, Marc
    Fourth Official: Friend, Kevin

Mar 2017
    11 SAT
    17:30

Arsenal (First Team) v Lincoln City FC (First Team)
    FA Cup
    Referee: Taylor, Anthony
    Assistant Referee: Hussin, Ian
    Assistant Referee: West, Richard
    Fourth Official: Attwell, Stuart

Mar 2017
    12 SUN
    14:00

Tottenham Hotspur (First Team) v Millwall (First Team)
    FA Cup
    Referee: Atkinson, Martin
    Assistant Referee: Nunn, Adam
    Assistant Referee: Wilkes, Matthew
    Fourth Official: Mason, Lee

Mar 2017
    13 MON
    19:45

Chelsea (First Team) v Manchester United FC (First Team)
    FA Cup
    Referee: Oliver, Michael
    Assistant Referee: Burt, Stuart
    Assistant Referee: Collin, Jake
    Fourth Official: Jones, Michael

Saturday 11 March

AFC Bournemouth v West Ham United
    Referee: Robert Madley
    Assistants: P Kirkup, S Child
    Fourth official: R East

Everton v West Bromwich Albion
    Referee: Graham Scott
    Assistants: A Holmes, D Bryan
    Fourth official: J Moss

Hull City v Swansea City
    Referee: Andre Marriner
    Assistants: S Beck, E Smart
    Fourth official: M Oliver

Sunday 12 March

4pm Liverpool v Burnley (Sky Sports)
    Referee: Craig Pawson
    Assistants: S Ledger, S Long

So the quarterfinals go to the new Top 4?

19. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    That's certainly plausible.

20. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I don't usually play the "predict the referee" game, but it could mean that none of these guys
    is getting the Final, but it could also mean that one of them could get it! I'll leave it to the expert
    prognosticators to give a more knowledgeable answer based on the quarterfinal assignments for the past
    50 years! But it probably means that none will be on a semifinal either, and we know that semifinal referees
    don't get the final also, right? :confused:;)

PH

21. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dean and Atkinson have had it.

Taylor or Oliver? Makes sense to give it to either. But they have years to get it. Anyone older who has been good and is eligible? Maybe Mike Jones, but that could be a stretch. I'd go ahead and bet Oliver.

Pierre Head repped this.
  22. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    There's a rumour that Clattenburg was held back for years while the FA waited for a big matchup (and then finally used him last year because it would have been embarrassing for him to get the CL final without having had the FA Cup). If there's truth to the idea that they try to use their best in years when two top teams make the final, then I'd say Oliver is likely. Semi-final will probably be Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man City.

23. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    What, no Lincoln City?

24. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    I bet Neil Swarbrick can't wait for his big day out at Wembley refereeing Lincoln vs Millwall