English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    As I understand it, there are some nationalities that you lose "automatically" when you acquire Dutch citizenship i.e. without you needing to do anything else to renounce them. Canadian nationality isn't one of those, so De Guzman would have had to go through whatever Canada's process is to renounce it.

The exemptions that are listed here don't appear to cover him.

2. Yeah, I noticed that already some posts ago in the Dutch version of it.

3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think the upshot is that, unless there's some crucial fact that we don't know, he probably did have to give up his Canadian citizenship. But at this point I can't even remember why we were discussing it, so maybe it's bedtime.

4. :D
    It started with that Taylor guy at Ajax

Edit: Good night:thumbsup:

5. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I have a mate from ...I can't even remember what country (helpful I know) that has that rule and he said to me you can keep both nationalities just by not telling the authorities you're keeping the other one. In fact I know another guy who is naturalised Dutch and I very much doubt the old passport went in the shredder...

6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    some more German-Brits from Germany though.

03-Joe-Robert Sherbourne, unconfirmed.
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/joe-robert-sherbourne/profil/spieler/676672

and a 00 GK at Gladbach II, Jonas Thomas Kersken. Confirmed.
    https://www.transfermarkt.de/jonas-thomas-kersken/profil/spieler/597804

after coming back from injury made his debut vs Dortmund II last week in a 1-1 draw and today played in a 1-0 win his 2nd game.

England and others are interested according to TM. England is fine but LOL at Scotland and Wales.
    "Should look in the stud book"
    England and Scotland inquire about Gladbach talent Kersken
    According to a report of the "Reviersport" the English and Scottish football federation have inquired with the adviser of the Mönchengladbach youngster goalkeeper Jonas Thomas Kersken (19, photo) about its availability for their national teams. The keeper came to his debut in the men's area only last weekend and has a British passport with his English mother.

"One would of course have to look in the family register, if the ancestors from Wales or Scotland come. My mother is English. But my advisor is concerned with this topic. I just focus on training hard and moving forward, "Kersken himself commented on the topic.
    https://www.transfermarkt.de/englan...nach-gladbach-talent-kersken/view/news/348700

7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FB Antonee Robinson and CB Cameron Carter-Vickers were in the latest USA U23 squad. Robinson is having a solid Championship campaign with Wigan while CCV is struggling at Stoke. Both were born and raised in England to American fathers. Combined 15 senior US caps, but all friendlies so neither is cap-tied yet. Neither is good enough for England anyway.

F Charlie Kelman is currently out of action at Southend. He was in the latest US U20 squad. Born in England; raised primarily in US (in Dallas from about age 2 to 14, I believe).

F Folarin Balogun declined a call to the same US U20 camp and will go with England as long as he is wanted. CB/DM Owen Otasowie would have been with the US U20s were he healthy. He is making some noise at Wolves lately and seems promising, but probably not good enough for England youth teams just yet. He might be one to watch if he can stay healthy.. Both were born in US and raised in England.

GK Chituru Odunze was good for an otherwise underwhelming US U17 side at the World Cup. He currently starts for Leicester U18. Born in US and raised in England (also eligible for Canada). I'd guess England are stacked at GK at all age groups, but I don't think he would look out of place with an England youth team. Likely will stick with US for clearer opportunity.

8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other English-eligible players in Europe who have played for US youth teams. Not saying any are good enough for England youth teams.

'02 CB Mason Judge of Eintracht Frankfurt (English father, born/raised in US)
    '02 DM Peter Stroud of West Ham (English father, born/raised in US)
    '02 W Giovanni Reyna of Borussia Dortmund (born in England, raised in US)
    '02 CB Jonathan Tomkinson of Norwich City (English father, born/raised in US)
    '02 GK Ethan Wady of Chelsea (English father, born/raised in US)
    '03 F Vaughn Covil of Forest Green Rovers (American father, born/raised in England)
    '03 AM Chitua Hani-Okoroafor of Hull City (born in US, raised in England)

TopBanana10 repped this.
  9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Interesting article on Matty Cash in The Athletic. I wonder if he can speak Polish?

Matty Cash, one of Nottingham Forest’s key performers as they bid to end their 20-year exile from the Premier League, has agreed a new long-term contract with the Championship club — and could now be in line for an unexpected call-up from Poland.

Cash has not just been attracting interest from a number of Premier League clubs, including Everton and Burnley, but has also come to the attention of the Polish football association after it discovered the Slough-born defender was eligible, via his grandmother, to switch nationalities.

His decision to accept a new deal with the Championship club — revealed today by The Athletic — comes at a time, under the ownership of Evangelos Marinakis, when Sabri Lamouchi’s team are establishing themselves as realistic promotion contenders.

What has not been known until now, however, is that scouts for Jerzy Brzeczek, the Poland national team manager, have attended a number of recent Forest matches after learning about Cash’s family background.

Cash is understood to be open to the idea and, providing everything is cleared by the relevant authorities, that raises the possibility of the 22-year-old being in Poland’s plans for Euro 2020.

That would be some story for a player who was working in a department store in Windsor before Forest took him into their academy system when he was 17. Cash joined the club as an attacking midfielder, breaking into the first team as predominantly a right-sided winger, but has been operating this season as a right-back in a team that has moved into fourth position in the Championship with a game in hand on the three clubs — West Brom, Leeds United and Fulham — directly above them.

Forest’s 4-0 victory at Queens Park Rangers on Wednesday was their biggest away win for nearly seven years and Cash has played a key part in the team’s improvement since Lamouchi replaced Martin O’Neill as manager.

Forest’s directors have been working behind the scenes to persuade him to sign a longer deal. Cash, a popular member of the dressing room, has been impressed by the club’s ambitions at a time when they are being watched by their largest home crowds since their European Cup days and plans have been announced to redevelop the ground.

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Shows the lack of quality in the polish team

11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Otasowie was in Wolves' squad today for the 3-3 Europa League draw with Braga. He's likely the US youth player who would be nearest to an England youth team. Born in New York and raised in Merry Hill, Wolverhampton.

12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Otasowie was in the squad for Wolves against Sheffield.

Giovanni Reyna was in the squad for Dortmund today for the first time. Raised in the US, born in England.

13. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Being born in England to non UK parents does not make Reyna a dual national.

14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It doesn't, but one of them may have acquired settled status during the 8 years they were in the UK, in which case he'd be eligible for citizenship by registration.

15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Absolutely. Though there has been no indication that he has a UK passport at all and he wouldn't be eligible now and is certainly not a dual national with England.

Given that he is in Germany on a Portuguese passport via his grandma I doubt he has a UK passport.

16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Shouldn't even have a decision to make. He was born in England, end of. These Nigerians really are the worst vultures. If he turns his back on England eff him, we have plenty of exciting talent coming through

17. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Let players make up their own minds and respect their decision. My mate was born and raised in England but supports Nigeria.

Besides, Nigeria could also question why WE are so obsessed with dual nationality players.

18. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Tbh, we should be well stocked in the attacking areas for the foreseeable future anyway. We have CHO, Sancho, Rashford and Sterling and then the likes of Greenwood to come through. Even further down the line there could be the likes of Dembele entering the fray.

Tbh though I do feel if a player has been born and raised in England in addition to developed and produced in an English youth academy then we are within our rights to have a sense of entitlement with them. Even if, in the end we ultimately need to respect their decision.

W.A.S.P., dbs235 and roverman repped this.
  19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Because they're English born brought up through the English system and its WRONG when these African states poach English players

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I’m obviously not as passionate about this issue as Roverman, lol but I do also think we are within our rights to fight for players who are born in England and not sure why Nigerians should question why we would want them to play for us since they have been born, raised and educated etc in England. We’re such a multicultural society that we have a duty to fight for the players otherwise our talent pool would be very thin but obviously must respect their decision which incidentally other Nationals take very badly if they choose England.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  21. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Yep that's the nail hit right on the head imo. The thing is, it would obviously be completely different if we were going over to Nigeria and plucking kids from their streets when they're 9 or 10. For example it wouldn't be right if Messi had chosen Spain imo in the same way I never agreed with Zidane playing for the French. This type of dual nationality comes across as much more cynical.

However, when the player has been born and raised in this country in addition to being scouted in our streets, parks or junior leagues, then they are ours imo. My mother's father was born and raised in Australia and only came over when he was 25, yet my mother was born and raised here and doesn't consider herself the slightest bit Australian.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Agree with everything but zidane was born in France

ht_hu96 repped this.
  23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It’s kind of a shame we lost Alzante, even though technically I guess we never really lost him as was never capped at youth level but I think he would have been a very useful addition to our U21’s this season and then who knows.

24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the provisionally capped by Germany, 03 Bright Arrey-Mbi has made the Bayern Munich 1st team Winter Camp while being underage.