English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think someone brushed on Malcolm Ebiowei a while ago( I could be wrong), a young player from Arsenal who was believed to be opting for Nigeria instead of England, however according to this site ( which doesn’t usually hold much credit fwiw ) there is some doubt due to the advice of another Nigerian/English player who advised him against it which I found interesting if it holds any truth. The reason I find it interesting is due to the fact I’ve read somewhere else about English born Nigerians being messed about with selection issues with Nigeria. Could be wrong but I think one of the Dele-Bishiru brothers had some sort of problems with the Nigerian FA recently.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=33425

2. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    On a tangent, Chelsea's Adrian Akande has been playing for West Ham (U18 and U23 despite being 15) recently, having decided to leave in search of different pathways.

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    It makes me laugh how they call them foreign based Nigerians even though they're actually english. I think people know my feelings about the way the likes of Nigeria Wales and Ireland constantly cherry pick english talent. There's got to be new rules about choosing a country of parentage. A player should have to pick his allegiance before he's 18 in my opinion. Because it's going beyond a joke now

4. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    If anything, I'd say the opposite - that no adult footballer should be bound by decisions they made when they were a minor. Quite apart from that, I'm not sure how it would help us? The good players that we've "lost" have generally been selected by another country before they turned 18.

Sam1010, Garibaldi11 and TopBanana10 repped this.
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Wrong thread mate so moved it here.

What is his link to Ireland? Haven’t seen any articles on this but I’m guessing they are around.

6. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I don't think he has a link to Ireland. Been doing some research and can't find anything at all. the only thing is his surname but that don't mean anything this day in age.

7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Was in the ireland message board. Ifa are monitoring him. They are also looking at duncan. Gerrards cousin

8. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    They'll be 'monitoring' every player that Grandparents once owned an Irish Wolfhound.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ah, you’re looking on the YBIG forum? Wouldn’t pay much attention to half of what goes on there tbh.

roverman repped this.
  10. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Fabio Carvalho has been named in Portugal's U18 squad. First time he's been called up by them I believe.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #1986 Marcho Gamgee, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Was he ignored during the Euro U17’s or was he one of the players who was ineligible?

12. Neymar

Neymar New Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Aug 19, 2019
    ineligibility

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

Looks like we might lose Josh Maja to Nigeria which would be a shame but understandable since he’s been ignored throughout the development teams. A shame if we lose him as we’re not exactly blessed for striker options for U21’s.

14. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    #1989 JTay, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Seems to have pulled out the squad, might be injured (he played yesterday) or he's in our U18s.

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Nigeria are after every english player...vultures

16. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Rover, you need help.

roverman repped this.
  17. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    He trained with them a couple of years ago so I'm not sure he was necessarily overlooked rather than holding out for a Nigeria call-up.

On the face of it it would seem very strange he didn't get a single call up last season given the strikers we did call up to the under 20s. Or it might just be another case where those in the squads get far too much leeway compared to those outside.

18. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    The Nigeria manager is publicly saying he might pick Maja for their next game but only because preferred options are having visa issues... If it was me I'd hold out on committing with that kind of vote of confidence.

19. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I don't think I've seen it here yet even though it happened a while back - Nigeria have called up Joe Aribo. That could be one that got away if he continues his good progress, although he is a long long way away from the England team at this point in time.

20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Kelman is in the USA U20 camp. Folarin Balogun was called to the same camp but declined to accept an England U19 call.

21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    So Musiala and Carvalho are with us? Hope so.

22. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    Well Musiala rejected a Germany call up and Carvalho rejected a Portugal call up, so likely for a while at least.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Again another one of those articles which I take with a pinch of salt but if it’s true, I think it will work against Nigeria’s pursuits of trying to encourage English born of Nigerian heritage to declare for them if this is how they treat the players.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=33495

24. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Udanoh if that article is reliable?

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #2000 Marcho Gamgee, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Maja is apparently a late call up to the Nigeria Squad.

Actually not sure if that’s confirmed or not, saw it on twitter but the source isn’t reliable tbh.

Scratch that, found the confirmation: