English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Apparently he’s been denied the right to play for them as doesn’t qualify for citizenship. Don’t really get why he was allowed to play for them at U20 level unless it was just friendly games or something or a change in the rules since then?

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I can't remember the detail and I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but there is something in the rules that allows for FIFA to give a player a temporary licence to play for a country's youth teams while he confirms his eligibility.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dier grew up in Portugal but was born in England moved when he was 9 or 10. His family actually lived in Portugal for six years, but he stayed because he wanted to develope with Sporting CP. He never accepted a Portugal call up in his teens and as far as we know always wanted to play for England.

Hargreaves' story is a bit more complex.

4. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I wouldn't really call dier 'poached' scene as he's English born to English parents. I would sort of agree about Hargreaves but let's face it, he was never going to do anything significant with Canada.

5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Yes we poached him from Wales according to the bitter welsh

6. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Don't know if it's been mentioned on here before but Ashley Barnes has been told he can't play for Austria. He's always maintained he'd love to play for England given the chance.
    What's southgates chances of picking him? He scores and assists alot. He's not even 30 yet.

7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I guess next to nothing. A good and honest pro, but he is not international class.

8. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    He reminds me of vardy. A workhorse who will dig in and scrap. Thought he might be useful to southgate but like you said, probably not international class.

9. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    He's well suited to Burnley as he'll chase loose ends all day and put up a good physical battle but his lack of technical ability would see him stick out like a sore thumb with the likes of Sterling, Rashford, Sancho alongside him.

We even had something of the same issue with the aforementioned Vardy who essentially ended up doing next to nothing in the world cup last year. The sum of his contributions was essentially bottling taking a penalty.

10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sort of off topic, but I don't quite get the term international class. If you boil that down international class isn't that great because most national teams are piss poor in terms of quality. Obviously he's not good enough for the level England play at against other decent nations, but in large part you don't have to be that great depending on what country you represent. I reckon the likes of Austria, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland wouldn't mind having him in and around their squads.

11. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Maybe you're right but it's always good to have him as an option if our strikers get injured

12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    France have giroud who isn't particularly talented but does as job. Didn't the French have Stefan guivarch when they won the world cup? We have tons of talented players we can afford one workhorse

13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Can't really see what the point in calling up Barnes would be. It's one thing to call up a modestly talented player who fits into the playing style, but he doesn't. We have better options who do - obviously Kane and Rashford, plus Wilson who's about to return from injury. If we're looking for someone else to fill out the squad, I'd rather see someone like Calvert-Lewin get a chance than a half-decent 29-year-old.

W.A.S.P., David Hurford and hussar repped this.
  14. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    This. I don't really understand why we are talking about Barnes. He could do a job for a team like Ireland or Scotland, but not for a team wants to belong to the world elite.

David Hurford repped this.
  15. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    You could say the same thing about Calvert Lewis though to be fair.

16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, he's nothing extraordinary (and certainly not prolific), but at least at 21 he has a chance of developing into something more, as do Solanke and Abraham. Barnes is all that he'll ever be - a limited back-up in the short-term, and no use at all for the future.

17. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Is Rice's switch of allegiance likely to be completed in time for the upcoming qualifiers or does it usually take longer than that?

18. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Usually a case by case basis but the media seem confident he'll be available.

Patrick Bamford's going the other way, McCarthy's been talking about that.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, they have been texting apparently, seems very romantic :D

roverman repped this.
  20. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Will Vaulks going to Wales. Not a loss of course. With the amount Bale is injured are they ever going to have someone who is actually Welsh pull on the shirt again? :cool:

21. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

W.A.S.P., ChristianSur, Jenks and 4 others repped this.
  22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not so sure this is something we should be worried about just yet tbh. Im dubious that if he’s not in the senior Squad next week he will deflect to Congo. I think it’s more about the journalist trying to put a rocket up Southgate and the FA’s arse about not having another Zaha situation and so they do things the right way this time.

23. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    What might work in DRC's favour is the argument that the competition in that position for England is incredibly fierce.

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    True but I think AWB should back himself to take that spot from Trippier plus I think TAA could be moved into midfield some time soon, so it could be him and Walker really battling it out.

25. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Walker and Trippier will be the wrong side of 30 at the next world cup. Trent AA and Wan-Bissaka should both be backing themselves to overtake them by then and are two complementary options for the position. The England set up should be (and hopefully are) giving AWB that message.