English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know its off track but Im really interested in what Nicky Butt is doing with Angel Gomes in that position. It seems Kante has completely changed (or at least opened up) opinion on what the physical make up of a defesive midfielder should and can be, crazy lag considering how good Makelele was back in the day. Its slightly counter intuituve but there's no real reason a dm should look like a centreback, they are very different roles.

sharpovic, wellno and TopBanana10 repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I wish these African countries would cluck off and start concentrating on bringing their own players through

David Hurford repped this.
  3. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What are 'their own players'?

4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Players born there in their own countries . Instead of trying to cherry pick players born in Europe. Lookman and solanke have already made it clear they're not interested. Why doesn't that craggy face old kraut do one

5. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Presumably that means Raheem Sterling and Nathaniel Chalobah shouldn't be considered for any further England caps?

6. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  7. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  9. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    TBH couldn’t imagine Declan Rice in an England Shirt, seemed strange why he would meet with Mick McCarthy if he wasn’t thinking of Ireland as his first choice. can’t understand what made him have second thoughts then, if he felt Irish more than English. England could of used a player like him, but if he’s not fully committed to the cause I wouldn’t want him anyway.

Marcho Gamgee and hussar repped this.
  10. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Said it earlier in the season, really think we've missed out with David Brooks, looks a useful player. Although attacking midfield is going to be a position we're well stocked in in the coming years so maybe he wouldn't get a look in anyway. Nice find for Wales though.

11. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Mick McCarthy is trying to convert Patrick Bamford too, besides Rice.

12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Your hardly worried about loosing Bamford to us, a championship player who has only scored one goal in six games this season for Leeds.

14. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be funny though, as he's gone on record saying that England is his first choice. Not sure how the Ireland fans would rationalize celebrating that one.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Probably the same way as always to be honest, I mean how many players have played for Ireland over the years as they couldn’t get near the England team and probably just a last minute dash to play International football. Unless someone is going to tell me the likes of Harry Arter and Clinton Morrison always dreamed of playing for Ireland then fair enough. The Ireland fans know this and just accept it I guess.

16. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don’t really get the Declan Rice hype either. Really not bothered about him, we have 3 quality CBs at the moment and some good midfielders coming through.

If a 19 year old Englishman is so desperate to play hoofball for Mick McCarthy and possibly qualify for one international tournament in his career then fair enough. Doesn’t bother me..

17. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    All the home nations are vassal states to English football. They need our clubs and leagues to develop their players (Scotland to a lesser extent). They then hover up whatever English talent they can with links (no matter how tenuous) to their countries.

Then they make a pastime out of hating us.

Weird bunch.

roverman, W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  18. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I can’t think of any that have gone on to have success though with their respective teams. Most of the time it is players who never will have a chance of representing us

19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I dunno, Wales beat Belgium in a major tournament knock-out game with three English-born goalscorers.

20. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think your really underestimating Rice. All the man united fans on redcafe are looking at him as a replacement for Matic . He can tackle , pass the ball, mobility to get around the pitch and has great defensive instincts.Lets look at his competition for his position for England .

Dier : Dier is a bang average midfielder . He has no mobility , he can't pass or press the ball. He slows down play for England and Tottenham when ever he plays.

Henderson: Henderson is a not a natural defensive midfielder . He has great energy and is a decent passer of the ball , but he hides to much from the ball which puts too much pressure on Englands defense as we saw when you were passed of the pitch by Modric & co.

Delph: Delph is England's best alternative at the moment. He can pass the ball , has decent ability to hold on to the ball . But i always get the impression that he is a defender playing in midfield .

In short your midfield looks quite lightweight at the moment . winks is your only real midfield player at the moment and the jury is still out about him if he will ever become a controlling midfielder who can dictate play which is what you will need when you come against the best in future tournaments.

He never looks good playing with dier and henderson because he is expected to carry the midfield burden all on his own . If rice was too play with winks i think it would help him a lot as he would finally have somebody to pass the ball too. I really think rice will be one of the most complete midfield players in the premier league in a few years, He can do most things quite well. He can pass, tackle , get in position receive the ball from the back four , track runners receive and control the ball in tight spaces.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yep, that’s pretty much how I feel about it. They hate us but wouldn’t survive without our infrastructure and they know it.

roverman repped this.
  22. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    The 1990 Ireland World Cup side is their greatest ever. They had 13 English born players and an English manager. Andy Townsend, the Irish captain, had barely any link to Ireland and would have played for England if he was good enough.

They got a heroes reception in Ireland so I guess that would be considered a success.

23. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I’m a United fan from and living in Manchester and I don’t know a single United fan that wants him to replace Matic. If we sign him on a free then he’s worth a punt. I’d like him to declare for England for options but I don’t see him as having the potential to be any better than Dier or Henderson.

24. dakid

dakid Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Success is winning trophies. How many have any of the home nations won recently?

25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Declan rice is much of a muchness concerning England. We have loads of these types of players coming through. It's the fodens and Madison's I'm more excited about not to mention Sancho and nelsen