English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't be a prick.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree but I guess the counter argument is the British Legion is a charity there to support veterans who themselves have suffered. The poor kid from Liverpool or Staffs who was serving in N.Ireland or Iraq isn't the fella making the decisions, the guys making the political decisions were graduating Oxford (after being at Eton) with a 2:1 in PPE, at the same age some of these solders were losing legs and friends. The British Legion are a great charity, I find it a great shame their symbol has been co-opted. It's the seemingly compulsory nature of the poppy I find most disturbing. I think it's only a matter of time until the the Argentine players refuse to wear the symbol en masse as would be their right. The Stoke fans chanting to McClean that he is a Fenian **** is not right, my surname is Donnelly, I'm not Irish but I'm more Irish than Declan Rice and that sort of behaviour makes me very uncomfortable.

3. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Top quality flame baiting, old school :whistling:

4. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    I'm not , I'm being accurate. I don't think having someone persistently posting on an England fans football thread gripes about having too many black kids and not enough white kids in english squads and academy teams, whilst occasionally trying to dress it up as something else is doing a lot for the credibility of this forum. The important thing is that players are being picked on merit, not racial background.

5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Meanwhile the FA have introduced an openly racist policy of hiring for certain coaching positions based on racial background, not merit.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    This stuff has been done to death for weeks in numerous threads now. Time to move on. We all are well versed on everyone’s ‘position’ on this by now so I’m not sure of the point in continuing. I’ll start deleting posts as it just ends in pages of the same stuff that has no relevance to the thread topic.

David Hurford, Gaz811 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well, to be fair I kind of admire MON’s stance on not capping young players for the sake of it, just in order to cap tie them down unlike other Countries, like Wales :ninja:

roverman repped this.
  8. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #1583 Garibaldi11, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    He has admitted in the recent squad selection that Jimmy Dunne & I think Michael Obafe mi had to be called up for this reason. May be wrong but sure I saw it quoted somewhere.

If so, seems like he had to change tact after the Rice affair.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ok, well if that’s the case I take it all back and he’s no better than the Welsh.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  10. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    :D

Damn Irish and Welsh

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  11. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Really interested to see how he does. I expect him to start for that German team.

So just a current check on players actually selected by other nations in England set-up

Eire
    Declan Rice
    Joe Hodge
    Louie Barry
    CJ Egan-Riley

Scotland
    Lewis Fiorini
    Karamoko Dembele (although this looks to have ended)

Wales
    Brennan Johnson

Germany
    Paul Glatzel
    Felix Nmecha (not picked for either?)
    Bright Akwo
    Jamal Musiala

Netherlands
    Noah Ohio
    Malcolm Ebiowei

ChuckMe92 and Ger90 repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Felix Nmecha wasn't picked for Germany in Nov because he was called up for a camp in Oct but choose England.

those England friendlies were in mid-Oct, few days later on Oct 18, his brother Lukas said this.
    "At the moment Felix has chosen to play for Germany at international level, while I’ve chosen England. We have both got time to decide to change if needs be but we are both happy with what we are doing."
    https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/footbal...to-making-an-impression-at-deepdale-1-9402747

as for Glatzel he seems like an interesting prospect.

Garibaldi11 and JRSG repped this.
  13. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Dembele also played a friendly for Scotland U17s recently but hasn’t played a competitive game for them for a year or so.

14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some additions from USA: Southampton's Vaughn Covil was with England U15 before being selected for USA U16, and Telstar's Kyle Scott was with England U16 before being selected for USA U18 and U20. And then the prospect the US is most interested in is Arsenal's Folarin Balogun, who was with England U17, USA U18, and now England U18.

David Hurford and Garibaldi11 repped this.
  15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Barry and Egan-Riley in the Eire victory shield squad.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  17. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah he is.

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Good prospect Juni? Can’t remember seeing him in any England Squads.

19. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Also forgot Luis Binks for Scotland & Armstrong Okoflex for Eire.

Louie Barry just can't stop scoring.

David Hurford repped this.
  20. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Limited viewing as he's at Watford but seems to have progressed well, can play both sides, decent at the very least.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Rabbi Matondo called up to the senior Welsh Squad. The Welsh are certainly the best at trying to expand their playing pool and trying to cap tie as many young players as possible. I know it’s only a friendly they play in but it’s still getting the youngsters integrated into there system, like Matondo despite only playing U23 football.

22. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    It'll do them good in terms of player pool but it feels to me somewhat of an abuse of the system how Wales try and get people at increasingly young ages with increasingly young training camps, then try and get them capped well before they're ready. It's not done with the players development at mind,, giving players that reward before they do anything to remotely deserve it is the kind of over rewarding academies need to be wary of. It's all rather cynical.

It must be disheartening for people who are actually Welsh in the under age set up who have to do much more to get capped than other players who get capped merely because they're English. Joe Rodon for example starts every week for Swansea and impresses but has yet to be capped.

In this battle England will do well to point out to dual nationals that Wales love making these new youngsters flavour of the month but once your in there's no guarantees of anything. Ben Woodburn was the next big thing a year ago now he's behind the next dual nationals who've come in to be capped after him.

23. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I don't think Wales are doing anything wrong. There's no point in them calling up some lesser talented league one or league two player, just out of principle. Matondo is one of their best prospects so it makes sense to get them involved early. Like with England, the lack of opportunities for HG players in the PL hits the other home nations hard, even harder. We're having to look at Championship players, of course it's only natural for them to be looking at guys before they break through.

All countries are starting to do it. There's no point in putting arbitrary rules on who can play for the International side if it means you're giving chances to guys who are unlikely to be there in the long term.

Joe Rodon is in this squad so it's hardly like he's being neglected. Plus, Matondo is actually Welsh. I'm not sure if Wales have capped many players who weren't pretty much in their system from the start.

It's not much different to Ireland calling up Lee O'Connor. That's not some cynical ploy to cap tie him (not that he's eligible for anyone else), it's just that there's little reason to wait for him to pass some set senior appearance criteria. I'm sure Troy Parrott will be the same before we know it.

24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, in fairness his connection is much stronger than some - he's spent most of his life there.

25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Doesn't matter, none of these 'welsh' youngsters are a patch on the generation we have coming through